Active vacation resorts Calif or Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to get some recommendations, already tried the search function but we are looking at a parameter that's too wide, I think...!!??

We live in Northern California, would like to find a resort that's within 1 day driving distance that is a luxurious upscale resort, offering rafting, fishing guides, horseback riding, bicycling trails, golfing with a good collection of fine dining options.

Two of us with our 14 year old son, planning to do this the 2nd and 3rd weeks of July.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Sunriver, near Bend, OR is exactly what you are looking for. I sometimes sound like I work for them, lol, but no...we just go there a lot for all the great activities. But call now, as they book up fast. You can rent homes, which is what we always do. There are quite a few property management places, but the one we use most of the time is Sunray Inc.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Are there any inclusive places out there?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Love Sunriver. We have used Sunray as a rental agency and they were great about finding just teh right place for us. My sis has a home there right on the Dechutes which is very fun for floating down. Lots of biking is available. Not AI though. Isn't AI in the US pretty hard to find? Or just the western US?

You could always look into guest ranches. IN the estern sierra there is:
http://www.hunewillranch.com/

I can't say that it's upscale or not but this is really late to get reservations for those type places.

Marble Mountain:

http://www.marblemountainranch.com/

Klamath Falls has the lovely Running Y Ranch which may fit some of your needs:

http://www.runningy.com/
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, you guys are not kidding, I've just now been able to secure a 4 nights stay at the Sunriver from 7/15. All other times are booked. My room "sounded" like it was the last one available...

Going to Bend from the Bay Area, I would think we should be smart and add a couple of nights stay somewhere in between before and after Sunriver to break up our drive. Any other recommendations besides Running Y ranch in Klamath Falls?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Doesn't surprise me about the room. Are you staying in the lodge? We have stayed there after deciding to extend a trip where we were in a house, so stayed in the River Lodge for a few more nights. I have also stayed there on girlfriend spa trips.

As far as the drive from the bay area, I have family that do that exact drive quite often and it isn't bad at all. But of course, it can be a good excuse to stop at another resort along the way
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM

You could go over to Ashland and stay for a couple of nights. There are outfitters there that do day trips on the Upper Klamath (Class 4+). You can also take in a play.

Otherwise, Bend is 8 - 9 hours without stopping from the Bay Area. Another good stopover is Mt. Shasta or McCloud. But, if you are such avid outdoors people, why not camp?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Hmmm...my family comes from the east bay, and it takes them 6-7 hours is all.