Accomodations at Royal Kona Resort

Mar 25th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Ken Horn

Accomodations at Royal Kona Resort

My wife an I have the opportunity to stay at the Royal Kona Resort in October. I need some opinions of the hotel. If you have stayed there, what did you think of it?

Mar 25th, 2002, 06:12 PM
bettyk

Have stayed there twice. Rooms are okay; hotel could probably use a renovation. But the location is great and the price is right. Try to get the best room category you can afford. You're not in your room that much anyway.

Mar 25th, 2002, 07:19 PM
me

I stayed at the Royal Kona in Nov. and they were undergoing renovation at that time. We thought it was fine. It definitely is not a top-end resort, but it is fine for the price you pay. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. As Betty pointed out, the location is great. Hope this helps.

Mar 25th, 2002, 10:12 PM
maw

Has anyone stayed there in the past 2 months or so? Have heard rumors the refurbishment really spruced things up nicely. We were there years ago, mom used to go every year, are thinking of at least a couple days there 'for old times sake" during our trip in the fall.
I remember our room seemed ocean FRONT, very impressive location it was with the waves breaking on the lava right below. It was nice to be able to walk into Kona.

Mar 26th, 2002, 08:52 AM
me

Since Royal Kona was in the process of renovating when we were there, I can't speak as to the final results. But I did see the furniture and it was much nicer than what was in the rooms. I forgot to mention that you should try to get a room in either the main building or the one to the south. The one to the north (closest to Kona village) has the least desirable access to other parts of the hotel. You either have to traipse thru the restaurant, which is not open 24 hrs. and therefore not accessible, or go around by the hotels trash dumpsters--not pleasant!

We had an ocean front room, though, and maw is right. It is very nice with the waves breaking on the lava rock. Woke up one morning and had a cruise ship anchored right out in front of us. All in all, we enjoyed our stay there.

Apr 12th, 2002, 05:48 PM
me

topping for Ken