COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Accomodation in Monterey or Carmel

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:05 PM
Robin Arbib

Accomodation in Monterey or Carmel

We are driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles through Carmel and MOnterey and wondering if anybody can recommend a good hotel in either place. Are there special things to do around the area? thanks a lot

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:45 PM
LauraL

Hello Robin,
Love Carmel very much. Expensive but the Dolphin Inn is a nice motel, near downtown Carmel maybe 125.-140 or so. You could also stay in Pacific Grove at the Lighthouse Inn - (the hotel part of their property not the suites) pretty reasonable and located on pretty green grounds with walking acess to the ocean - nice and much cheaper than Carmel.
I wouldn't really recommend Monterey to stay in - too busy.
Have a great time.
LauraL

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 06:21 AM
Cal

I highly recommend taking the 17 mile scenic drive. It is between Monterrey and Carmel. You can't miss it and it is well worth it.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 09:36 AM
kam

Carmel is charming with many small hotels/inns. There is a group called "Inns by the Sea" and I think they have a website. Our favorite is the Cypress Inn, owned by Doris Day and consequently dog friendly although very charming as well. Would also recommend the Seven Gables Inn or the Green Gables Inn in Pacific Grove if you like Victorian B&Bs. You can drive down to Big Sur from Carmel if the weather is good. Pt. Lobos, the Carmel Mission, 17 mile drive, the Aquarium in Monterey, Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey for calamari and people watching--not on weekends though, several wineries in Carmel Valley, lovely sandy beach but cold water, kayaking with the sea otters in Monterey Bay (rent in Monterey), great restaurants, art galleries, little shops---what else could you want?? Enjoy. It's one of California's best places!

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:11 PM
Bear

I recommend the Highlands Inn (highlands-inn.com) in Carmel for lodging. The drive from Big Sur to Carmel is spectacular and you shouldn't miss 17 Mile Drive.