Accomodation in Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , Not sure which is the best location to stay in so , we are looking for 3 nights in this area in September . We would like a tasteful hotel/B&B which is very comfortable and is in a location where you can walk to a restaurant in the evening with a budget of around 160$ per night. Any suggestions please ?
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 07:05 AM

I don't have any specific recommendations, but Pacific Grove has quite a few B&Bs.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Absolutely love the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. I stayed in one of the cheapest rooms and still had an ocean view. Looks like their lowest rate, though, is $219 but to me it's worth the extra dollars. There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance but not a lot.

Carmel would be a good option for you as you can walk to town from most of the B&B's. I haven't stayed in any of them so can't give a recommendation but I'm sure others here can you help you out. Sept is an expensive time so you might have to up your budget a little.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM

If you stay in Carmel-by-the-Sea, you can walk to at least 20 or more fine restaurants. Go to carmelbythesea.com. Click on lodging, then click on bed and breakfast options. This is the perfect place for walking to everything including shops, art galleries, and the beautiful Carmel beach. Monterey and Pacific Grove entail more driving.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help , it sounds like we should be staying in Carmel .
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM

There are some nice Inns on Ocean Ave. Check out The Normandy, Lamplighter, Pine Inn or Lobos Lodge. Carmel is a beautiful area and the beach is gorgeous. Some places we love to dine: Grasing's, PortaBella, Christopher's on Lincoln, Demetra Cafe, Casanova and Bouchee. Have a great trip! ***kim***
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM

I live in Pacific Grove. It is a great town. The website for the town is www.pacificgrove.org. Check it out. PG has the most coast line in the area. Most of the Monterey Peninsula coast is in PG.

Carmel is also another good location. The PINE INN is on Ocean Ave and an easy walk to the beach or many, many restaurants. They sometimes run specials that include meals at the Il Fornaio restaurant in the hotel. You may want to go online and check the Carmel Pine Cone newspaper or the Monterey Herald or the San Jose Mercury News for deals for locals. The hotels run deals to get local people to visit this area. If you know about them you can use them.

Enjoy your visit. This is a great time of the year.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 11:32 AM

I agree that Pacific Grove is a charming town to visit and I especially recommend a walk along the ocean on the oceanside trail in Pacific Grove. I also agree with the previous recommendation for the Demetra Cafe in Carmel. I would add to that Little Napoli. Both places are great for either lunch or dinner.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM

If Asilonar, in Pacific Grove, has any vacancies, you might want to check them out. Reasonable rates, nice digs and free breakfast!
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM

Just a tiny typo in the previous post may get in the way of finding the right place:

Asilomar

http://www.visitasilomar.com/
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 04:46 AM

We stayed recently at the Intercontinental in Monterey, right next door to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It was wonderful! If you join the Intercontinental frequent stay Ambassador Club, you pay $100 to join, but you can a coupon for one weekend night free. For 3 nights, that might make it fit your budget. As a member of their club, you receive upgraded room (we were waterfront with a balcony), late checkout, etc.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi , thank you all for the valuable information . We are thinking that maybe we will not book the room before we go but just go armed with all these suggestions . Do you think we will have any problem in September getting last minute accomodation ?
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I would reserve a room ahead of time, esspecially if you are looking for something nice that will fit your budget. September, while no longer technically the summer season, is one of the best times to visit this area.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Booking in advance will increase your chance of getting the best rooms at a good price. If this is not an issue to you, then you will be able to find something when you arrive since this economic recession is keeping lodging at less than %100 occupancy.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM

We arrived in Carmel today and are staying 3 nights at the Comfort Inn at Ocean Ave. and Torres. I'm so impressed with this place. The rooms are very well furnished, clean and the front desk helpful and pleasant. It is walking distance to the shops, restaurants, and beach and it's only $160 per night ($17 taxes and fees extra) booked through Expedia. We had the best oysters, Bloody Marys, calamari, and fish tacos at A.W. Shucks on Ocean Ave. Tomorrow we are wine touring and then Thursday we are hiking Big Sur.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that information and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip . I cannot wait until we go .
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Where did you end up booking a room?
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi , we havn't book a room . We are going armed with all the hotel advice given and hope to pick up something when we arrive . We have six nights to travel US highway 1 and have decided to be free agents . Might have to buy a tent eh !

Thank you again for all the advice.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:47 AM

My vote goes to Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. Some rooms have great views. The breakfast every morning is wonderful, and the evening wine is more than I ever expected - lots of appetizers. Nice proprietors - very professionally done.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM

Kathy-This post is 4 years old. Don't know why you dug it up.