Reload this Page >

Accommodations New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 05:47 PM
leechase

Can anyone recommend a clean quiet budget hotel suitable for a young honeymoon couple? They are on a budget but want too have a memorable honeymoon. I appreciate any help. How much could they expect to pay?

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 02:53 PM
Alison

New York City- try looking on the internet for hotel specials. Or, pick up Travel & Leisure magazine. Many NYC hotels run special rates depending on the time of year. As a New Yorker, I recommend staying far away from Times Square. It is crowded, touristy and doesn't really "feel" like NYC. It's just very busy and you will feel like a tourist. A few hotels that I would recommend, The Loews Hotel, The Regency, The Marriot Courtyard, but there are many, many more. If you really want to treat yourselves, spend a night or two at the Pennisula. It's one of the nicest hotels in the city, small yet very elegant. (I stayed there the night I got engaged). The rooms are around $300/night. It's worth it!! Otherwise, check around on the internet and you will find something affordable. Just check on the location before booking. Even if you are not staying in the middle of city, everything is really close and you need not worry that you will too far from anything.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 02:53 PM
Alison

New York City- try looking on the internet for hotel specials. Or, pick up Travel & Leisure magazine. Many NYC hotels run special rates depending on the time of year. As a New Yorker, I recommend staying far away from Times Square. It is crowded, touristy and doesn't really "feel" like NYC. It's just very busy and you will feel like a tourist. A few hotels that I would recommend, The Loews Hotel, The Regency, The Marriot Courtyard, but there are many, many more. If you really want to treat yourselves, spend a night or two at the Pennisula. It's one of the nicest hotels in the city, small yet very elegant. (I stayed there the night I got engaged). The rooms are around $300/night. It's worth it!! Otherwise, check around on the internet and you will find something affordable. Just check on the location before booking. Even if you are not staying in the middle of city, everything is really close and you need not worry that you will too far from anything.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 06:45 PM
leechase

Hi Alison,
Thanks for the advise.What area would you recommend that is still where the action is but not too crowded?

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 11:41 AM
Brian Kilgore

"Budget hotel" can be a dangerous concept in New York City, where you can end up in some pretty bad spots. However, a lot of NYC hotels run ads in the Sunday new York Times advertising weekend specials, and often they are in the $100 - 150 per night, per room, range, which in NYC is pretty much a bargain. My favorite reasonably priced, and it's pretty romatic, too, is the Hotel Wales, on madison Avenue up around 92 St. It's pretty far north, but still in a wonderful residential district. Tehre are some reasonably priced restaurants nearby, plus some expensive ones, and its fairly short walk to the Metropolitan Museum.

BAK

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 11:43 AM
Brian Kilgore

"Budget hotel" can be a dangerous concept in New York City, where you can end up in some pretty bad spots. However, a lot of NYC hotels run ads in the Sunday new York Times advertising weekend specials, and often they are in the $100 - 150 per night, per room, range, which in NYC is pretty much a bargain. My favorite reasonably priced, and it's pretty romatic, too, is the Hotel Wales, on madison Avenue up around 92 St. It's pretty far north, but still in a wonderful residential district. There are some reasonably priced restaurants nearby, plus some expensive ones, and its fairly short walk to the Metropolitan Museum.
A sunset cruise in the harbour is reasonably priced, and a nice romantic thing to do.

BAK

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 04:01 PM
Owen O'Neill

You might consider the Hotel Stanford. It is probably $100 - $130 night depending on time of year. It's on 32nd Street next to the Holiday Inn Broadway (very close to subways and Penn Station). It's strictly no frills but very nice and very clean - frequented mostly by European and Asian travelers.