Accommodations convenient to Harvard U?

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accommodations convenient to Harvard U?

We are looking to make a trip out to visit my sister at Harvard next year. Any recommendations on accomodations near campus?

We can take the T out to the City, but prefer to stay close to campus on this trip.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:15 AM
TKT

Two things you have to tell us.
Price range(hotels here are expensive)and time of year.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

We'll go in the spring, maybe April.

Price range, we're not in the $500/night range. But definitely don't want to be uncomfortable (feel unsafe, dirty accomodations). If possible, less than $250/night.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
TKT

The Charles hotel is a great hotel right in Harvard SQ. it is expensive but I would check it out. The Inn at Harvard might also work. Plan ahead and you will be able to stay in Cambridge.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Hotel rates in the Boston/Cambridge area are lowest from November 1 - March 31, so you might want to plan accordingly.

Otherwise, whenever nothing special (the Boston Marathon is held in April, for example) is going on, Priceline is a terrific resource. You really can stay in a 4* for 2-3* prices. Best is to visit www.biddingfortravel.com and study the FAQ's and winning bids of others.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I second the recommendation for the Charles Hotel. It is right in Harvard Square, so it is, of course, near Harvard and also near the T. When I lived in Cambridge my mom always stayed there when she visited me and was always happy with it. I've also stayed there a couple times myself. The beds are super comfortable. It isn't the cheapest place around, but depending on the time of year, you can get good deals. My mom often got the AAA rate of $169/night.

If you are looking for something cheaper, you could also try to Harvard Square hotel. It is right by the Charles, so the location is great, but the accomadations are a bit more standard. But certainly acceptable and possibly a bit cheaper.

Have fun! Cambridge is a great city and Harvard Square is a fun area.

PS. You didn't ask, but my favorite chocolate shop is in Harvard Square. Burdick's, on Brattle St. It's got the best hot chocolate.