Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Acadia Natl Park - How crowded is crowded in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a couple of days in Acadia in mid July. It would be mid-week. So how crowded is crowded? Is it bumper to bumper takes forever to go a mile or two crowded? I realize it's not the ideal time to go but it's when I can go. The park website says it takes 'about 3-4 hours to drive the 20 mile loop road - including stops to enjoy the scenery'. Is this true for mid July? Will I be able to find parking at the scenic overlooks. That kind of thing. So would appreciate opinions from people who've been there mid summer. Thanks.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM

We were there in mid July last summer and I didn't think it was crowded at all. I guess it's whatever you consider crowded but we were never bumper to bumper on the loop road. We were always able to find a parking place at pull over spots.

Now, Bar Harbour was crowded at night but during the day it was fine.

I just looked at my calendar from last summer and we were there mid week.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:21 PM

OMG, I love it there. Been three times, no big crowds, always in summer during the week. Adore it there,especially on Otter Point on the big red rocks, watching the lobster boats.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Hi I have never been but very interested in reading what you did while on your trip.Please give us a trip report when your return home.Thanks and have a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Acadia will be busy in July, but you don't have to worry about bumper-to-bumper traffic for the length of the Park Loop Road. You will be able to move along at your own pace, although there will be some congestion at the more popular sites, as people park along the side the road and you will need to watch for car doors and pedestrians. Weekends are much more crowded than mid-week, so that is good for you. Also, you could plan to drive the Park Loop Road early in the day, before most people are out and about. The amount of time it takes can vary widely, depending on what you want to see and do. Some people stop for hours along the route, hiking, exploring the shore or having a picnic on the rocks. Others never get out of their cars. I hope you enjoy your trip; Acadia is very beautiful!
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's what I thought but figured it was a good idea to check. People are always talking about how "horribly crowded" places are that, once I get there, I find them to be 'busy' but not to the point that it isn't enjoyable. Yet occasionally there are places where it's just not worth it. Glad to hear that Acadia won't be like that. I mostly plan to drive around stopping and taking short hikes and doing a lot of photographing.

Has anyone stayed at either the Days Inn or Quality Inn in Bangor?
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM

isabel,

Have not stayed at those places...I hope you aren't planning on staying in Bangor to see Bar Harbor?

~Liz
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 03:50 PM

ditto!
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant the Days Inn or Quality INN in BAR HARBOR. Not looking for quaint, just someplace I can book semi-last minute.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 03:10 AM

Try the Colony Cabins on Route 3 in Hulls Cove. Nice people and much better than the chains. Also, to avoid driving you can take the FREE Island Express buses all over the park and there is a route that goes up Route 3 by the Colony.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 04:10 AM

Agree with the previous posters about the crowds you can expect. If you head over toward either the Schoonic area or Southwest harbor you'll find even fewer visitors.

Can't comment on the hotels but did want to suggest that you don't miss Jordon Pond House for a meal or a late afternoon popover. Its such a nice break and worth the wait. I personally love the hike around Jordan Pond and I am not much of a hiker (meaning it may be too easy for an experienced hiker to bother with).
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Hi, We just got back from Acadia and LOVED it! As everyone already said..it will be busy, but NOT crowded so you can't enjoy it...We are from DC and kinda thought it was funny how "crowded it was" but...the park is the busiest from 11-3 truly so if you can get out early or stay late you are likely to have the most beautiful spots ALL to yourslef!! It was an amazing trip have fun! oh, and we stayed at the Atlantic Eyrie Lodge- affordable CLEAN and Comfortable bed...outside of the busy bar harbor..but the bus stops there or it's an easy 4 minute ride..plus you are aobut a 3 minute ride to a back entrance of acadia (so you don't have to always go in near the visitor's center)
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the report CRnewbies. Got any tips or favorite places? Did you go to Bass Head Light and that area? Did you eat at Jordan Pond and if so do you really need reservations if you just want a 'snack' (e.g. popovers)?
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM

If I recall correctly, the system at Jordan Pond House is you leave your name and they give you a beeper, then you are free to walk around until a table is available. And, yes, you need to do this even if you just want popovers and lemonade.

I'm very familiar with the area around Bass Harbor Head. Did you have some specific questions?