COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

A week in Washington, DC with a 5-year old

Old May 7th, 1997, 05:46 AM
Paul Jacobs

A week in Washington, DC with a 5-year old

My wife has business in Washington, DC for a week in June and I am taking our 5-year old boy. Does anyone have any good ideas for a good plan for us for the week?

Old May 8th, 1997, 07:35 AM
Bill

We were in D.C. last year with a 5 yr old, an 8 yr old, & a 16 yr old. We only had 1 day there because we
went to spend time in Baltimore & Ocean City MD. While in D.C. the older kids enjoyed going thru Arlington
cemetary & Arlington House, & all the kids enjoyed changing of the guard at Tomb of the Unknown soldier. We tried to
do too much in too short a time. We were saving the best for last -- to the top of the Washington Monument at
night -- which everybody would have enjoyed but the 5 yr old was so crabby that we couldn't do that. The thing
that the 5 yr old like best, & I think the other kids did also, was the Air & Space musemum including seeing
the movie on the 5 story screen. Next time, we will spend more time there. The national zoo, with the Panda bears
would also be a good place for a 5 yr old -- & admission is free. Good Luck.

Old May 12th, 1997, 01:27 PM
Shawn

As a local, I would definately recommend the Air and Space Museum. There are airplanes, spaceships, great exhibits, and even a touchable moonrock (looks like a piece of ordinary black rock but your 5-yr old can always say he touched a rock from the moon). The Natural (Dinosaur bones among other things) and American History museums are good too.. For lunch, there is a Planet Hollywood and a Hard Rock Cafe nearby. The monuments are always an option - the Washington Monument probably being the most impressive for a child. Be prepared for a lot of walking, though. If you have access/or rent a car, you could always go to Baltimore (@ 45 minutes away) and go to the Inner Habor and Aquarium which is great (great mult-floor shark tank and dolphine show). You could always take the train from Union station (clean, newly renovated station with an eatery, shops, and specialty stores) to the Inner Habor (drops right near Camden Yards, the new Orioles Stadium - 2 blocks from Habor Place/Aquarium). Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.

Old May 12th, 1997, 07:18 PM
Paul Jacobs

Thanks for the tips. A day in Baltimore and the train ride sounds like a great time.

Old May 17th, 1997, 03:41 AM
sara panter

We took our two sons, then 5 and 7 to D.C. for the weekend. The best spot superb children's museum off the beaten path. We took a taxi. I forget the exact name of it- I can look it up later. It had exhibits on making cartoons, a television studio, a full art department, hundreds of exhibits, and lots of fun!! We packed a brown-bag lunch and ate in the courtyard with shady trees and the boys wanted to go back in. We were there almost all day and it was not crowded. (IT was late May)
Public transit is a snap and the boys loved the metroliner as much as anything else. Don't miss the Smithsonian - we did the one with the dinosaurs and indians and various cultures of the world and while there, we signed up for a special timed exhibit of hands-on displays to touch and explore. Definitely worth the wait. Don't forget down time at the hotel pool!!!

Old May 18th, 1997, 08:37 PM
Donna

Highly recomment the National Zoo. It's in a beautiful park setting. Allow plenty of time and some of the exhibits are well spaced and some of the walking is up and down hills. You and your son will enjoy this enormously!