NYC RESTAURANTS

Old May 2nd, 1997, 08:40 AM
Barbara

NYC RESTAURANTS

I'm looking for recommendations for clean, reasonably priced, family type restaurants---hamburgers, club sandwiches, salad type places. Also, any ideas on good breakfast places. We are a family of really plain eating habits--no gourmet food for us. Any ideas?

Old May 2nd, 1997, 03:20 PM
Bob

Try the Carnegie Deli right across the street from Carnegie Hall. Great and huge sandwiches and barrells of great pickles. It's right about on 56th or 57 in the middle of town.

Old May 6th, 1997, 02:19 PM
Lisa

The Carnegie Deli's great but is VERY expensive!Well, at least I thought 18 bucks for a sandwich was expensive (they are HUGE, though!) and they come with no side dishes. Get it to go and split it (they charge 2 bucks to share!). I loved Ray's pizza; I think that was the name of it! There are lots of them, but I went to the one on Seventh Ave around 54th St (across frm the Carnegie Deli) in Manhattan. We also went to a great Mexican place on 8th Ave right around 51st St. Don't remember the name but it was a Mexican type name so you shouldn't have trouble finding it. Lunch was pretty reasonable - 6 bucks for a combo plate which was huge! If you're looking for cheap, the best place to eat is from the street vendors. The food's great, most of it clean looking (just look them over and see how busy they are-if the locals aren't buying, you shouldn't either!). You can get anything from hot dogs to fruit to desserts - yum!

Old May 9th, 1997, 04:46 AM
Neal Sanders

I think that to find the kind of restaurant you're seeking, you're going to have to look south of midtown toward Greenwich Village. Prices are substantially lower than the likes of the Carnegie Deli, and there are many more "family friendly" restaurants. In Greenwich Village (the most central subway stop of which is the Christopher Street station on the #1 line), walk over to Bleeker Street and start looking at menus in the windows. My personal favorite for quality and value is Pasta e Pesche, but you'll find dozens of restaurants from which to choose. You'll also find a clutch of reasonably priced (though noisy) restaurants on E. 8th St., near the NYU campus.

Old May 9th, 1997, 05:17 PM
l.martin

Try Ellen's Stardust Diner location 1650 Broadway at corner of 51st tele 212 956 5151 for family style foods and entertainment--for all ages---just regular food like hamburgers, sandwiches, etc--we have 1 picky eater so we had to find "regular" food, too. Have fun--we loved our trip

Old May 20th, 1997, 09:35 AM
Sue

Try any of the Andrews Coffee Shops.
We usually eat breakfast there - good and reasonably priced.