A week in Palm Springs--top natural picks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our first time to PS --I have read about the tram and the date farm--which we will probably visit. We will also probably go to Joshua tree as we always go to Nat Parks.
What about a drive to Big Bear--too Far? the Mojave Desert. What about just sticking around Palm Springs--hikes, views and biking--good enough?
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:00 AM

There should be enough to do to stay near by. I always recommend a hike at 1000 palms. Very cool crystal clear pond at the end of a short hike and one of the only active sand dunes in the US. There are more strenuous hikes in the area as well that we enjoyed.

If you do Joshua Tree, the Mojave is redundant. Take HWY 74 SW out of Palm Desert for a fantastic view of the valley. There are several short nature walks along that area as you get into the National Forest. I have heard that the Anza-Borrego State Park is to great. It is on my list for the next visit. This years desert bloom is said to be potentially the best in 50 years. Hopefully your trip is soon so you can see that.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate your tips. I was not thinking that it will be SPRING with desert flowers--with my life in winter here I forgot. 1000 palms and the active dunes sound great. What is the city like these days? My only thoughts go to the Old Hollywood times and perhaps a little glitz--not really me-but so it is.Do you have any websites for pictures or info--I have not found much.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:20 AM

For hiking info and some pictures try:

desertusa.com or more specifically:
http://www.hiking-in-ps.com/cvpreserve.html

You could also do a search on Coachella Valley Preserve.

Sorry but I am not much help on the city of PS itself. My visits have been based in Palm Desert so I have been to a couple of shopping and dining districts throughout the valley but mostly I am a get out in nature type of guy.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Whoops...one more thing.

Try the living desert zoo which I believe is in Palm Desert
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Don't worry about PS being too glitzy, most people wear casual clothes in town and restaurants. Only if you go out to eat at the very expensive places would you have to dress up a bit. El Paseo in PD is the more glitzy area these days.
Big Bear is about an hour and a half away. About the only reason to got to it is if you want to ski.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM

There is a very good botanical garden in Palm Springs. Also the drive out of town up the mountain affords spectacular views. We drive to the hightest point and then come back because we don't find the loop drive all that interesting.

Anza-Borrego is interesting as is the drive up the mountains on the west side of that park.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Guided Hike: Tahquitz Canyon
Unguided Hikes: Indian Canyons in PS---Murray Canyon and the Maynard's Mine Trail; Jumbo Rocks in Joshua Tree NP; Lykken Trail in PS; Desert Rim trail, top of the tram; Art Smith trail on Hwy 74, Palm Desert; Boo Hoff Trail, La Quinta; Coachella Valley Preserve;

Best cardio run/walk: Bump n'grind trail in Rancho Mirage.

It is true---the wildflowers this year will be unbelievable---possibly among the best episodes recorded in the last 50-100 years. It is already starting and if the wet weather pattern holds up into March/April it should be great until maybe early-mid May.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Definitely do Joshua Tree NP. Totally unique and intriguing.

Also check out the windmill tour, another attraction unique to the area. We just missed it when there, i still regret it and i WILL see it someday! No engineers in the family, just curious to see how those babies work!

http://www.windmilltours.com/
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Where is the bump & grind trail, how do I find it.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Best to park at the intersection of Highway 111 and Magnesia Falls Drive and walk to the trailhead, which isn't far.

This is a great cardio workout/hike.

http://hiking-in-ps.com/bumpngrindlargemap.htm

Best hurry, because the BLM, US Fish & Wildlife Service and CA Dept. of Fish and Game are threatening to close this and other area trails during the winter/spring (lambing season)of the peninsular bighorn sheep...
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM

We are planning to hike in Indian Canyon during the 2nd week of March. Can anyone tell me the temperatures we will see. I'm not sure if the elevation is different than Palm Desert, where we are staying, which may affect the temperature.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:00 PM

It will be AWESOME! Outlook is for mid-high 70's daytime. The canyons also have a lot of water in them now and there is a microclimate effect that makes it cooler. Elevation is essentially the same as PS and not remarkably different than PD.