A short week in Colorado

Old May 7th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A short week in Colorado

We (dh and I, mid-50s and mid-40s) tacked on some vacation time to a business conference in Colorado, and had a wonderful time. My full trip report if anyone's interested in the details or photos, is at we2onthego.wordpress.com. Here in a nutshell:

Colorado Springs - loved almost everything about it! Stayed at the Lodge at the Garden of the Gods Club and had a fantastic room at a great rate. The Garden of the Gods itself is a big thumbs-up, even for mostly non-outdoorsy people like us. It's just beautiful.

Sunday brunch at the Broadmoor - worth the fairly steep price.

Cog railway to Pike's Peak - worth choosing the railway rather than driving, imo, though the railway is a bit tight and could be uncomfortable. My husband got unexpectedly motion-sick on the train, so that may be worth bearing in mind of one is at all inclined to motion-sickness.

We did abbreviated tours of the Air Force Academy and Olympic Training Center and enjoyed both.

The only spot that got a resounding thumbs down was Seven Falls.

Denver - stayed downtown on the 16th Street Mall. Loved the shuttle bus (though there quite a few gangster-wannabes on it, but not to a safety detriment). DH toured Bronco's stadium and the Federal Reserve Bank while I worked, and we went to Coors Field for a Rockies game, toured the state capitol, and went to the Botanic Garden. All thumbs-up.

Estes Park area - this was a day trip, and a place we'd like to go back to. Really enjoyed the town itself, and the part of the Peak to Peak Hwy we went on.

Lastly, we stayed at the LaQuinta at the airport before our 6 a.m. flight, and it's a nice place to stay on a budget.

We had some effects from the altitude in Colorado Springs, and made sure to stay hydrated. We mostly noticed it in the morning, as we woke with headaches every day until we chugged some water. We'll hopefully find our way back some day and explore the rest of the state!
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:20 PM

I've been just about everywhere in CO, but haven't made it to Co. Springs(was there when I was about 13 years old, but I don't remember much-I do remember the seven falls though). Glad you mentioned the brunch as it is probably something I would do.

I was actually doing a bit of research for possibly next year in May. Garden of Gods might be a good place to stay.

Estes Park is nice, but you'll have tom go back and see Rocky Mountain National Park. Just get acclimated a few days before you drive Trail Ridge Road-another 14,000.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:13 PM

It was more likely to have been altitude sickness, not motion sickness on the cog railway.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I had a bit at the top of Pike's Peak.

I liked Garden of the Gods but when it's really hot out, there is no shade on many of the main paths. Hit it early if high summer.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:43 AM

We drove up Pikes Peak and enjoyed the view and snacks at the top - but some of the people from the train were looking a wee bit uneasy. The only real solution for a touch of altitude sickness is to get back down to a lower altitude.

And thanks for filing a trip report. Wish more travelers did that.

Best.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Thanks for your kind words about our Lodge! We're so glad you chose to stay with us and that you enjoyed your visit. Hopefully we're able to welcome you back again soon!
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

The altitude undoubtedly exacerbated it, but it was at least in part motion sickness. An EMT who I chatted with after said the motion of the railway going along the cogs can cause it. DH used to get carsick as a kid, but as an adult, only has problems on cruises, until now anyway. It wasn't a big deal (well, less so for me than him!), but I mention it in case others might be sensitive and want to bring dramamine just in case.

5alive: I noticed that there were lots of wide open spaces in GOTG and was glad we were there in spring rather than summer!