Notices

A restaurant with a ocean view

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A restaurant with a ocean view

Hi,
We'll be in Pacific Grove the end of the month. Can you suggest a place for dinner that's on the water for a Friday night.

Price isn't an issue but we aren't looking for a candlelit, romantic place..casual but real good food. Fresh fish & a full bar. (My husband loves Mai Tai's!)
Thanks so much in advance.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IN PACIFIC GROVE CA...

SORRY!!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We recently attended a wedding at the Marriott. Feel free to skip the contents of this building entirely. Their rooftop overlook was nice.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Old Bath House has beautiful views of the water. They have early bird specials, also. www.oldbathhouse.com

The White House is also in PG, excellent food but no views. ***kim***
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:45 PM
E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mean to be a naysayer, but in general, views of the water and real good food don't go together. Please avoid dining anywhere on the Wharf in Monterey! I suggest Monterey's Fish House for the freshest, most wonderful fish (and casual atmosphere), then a walk along the water afterward.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E, have you been to the Old Bath House? It's very nice nice with good food and EXCELLENT service.

If you don't mind driving a bit, go to either Roy's in Pebble Beach or the California Market at the Highland's Inn. Both places have excellent food and beautiful views. It's out there, you just have to know where to go. ***kim***
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 08:53 AM
E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been to the Old Bath House, and didn't much care for it--perhaps we went on a bad night, who knows? Agree that the service is good, but the food, on that night, wasn't. And with so many great places to eat in that area, I never bothered to try it again--meant to, but haven't yet.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's one of the places in PG that does have the nice ocean views the OP desires. jaspertl, do NOT go to the Tinnery, we had a horrid meal there once.

If you do go to the wharf, Domenico's is probably your best bet. They have some really good sand dabs there and the atmosphere is very pretty with views of the marina from the back windows.

I really enjoy the fish and chips at Schooner's, located at the Plaza in Monterey, they have gorgeous views from the indoor dining room and the outside patio where we always dine. ***kim***
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:41 AM
je

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the Monterey Fish House is probably the best for seafood. Have been there a couple of times and it's always very popular. I know the Wharf has a bad reputation but Cafe Fina is supposed to be the best there according to several reviews I've read. I've seen it and it's very nice inside, small but has a couple of tables at the end on the water. We'll go soon to check it out.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cafe Fina is OK, I actually prefer the atmosphere at Domenico's, tho. We had a table upstairs at Cafe Fina, it was very crowded and the tables are just too close together for my liking.

Domenico's is a bit more upscale, IMO. ***kim***
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:50 AM
SAB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm another person who wouldn't recommend the Old Bath House in terms of food. But with any recommendation it is always subjective, so in the interest of fairness, one of my dining companions really liked it, it does have a view and a full bar.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say The Old Bath House would be your best bet. The views really are beautiful from the windows there. Let us know how you like it if you go there!

This used to be our favorite place in PG until we discovered the White House. We had oaur last anniversary dinner at the White House.

I think the Old Bath House meets all of the criteria you are wanting for this meal. Enjoy! ***kim***
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your replies.
The Monterey Fish House sounds like what we're looking for.
Does anyone know if they have a website?
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's under construction. You may want to check out Massaro & Santos which has received much better reviews on Chowhound than MFH. www.massaroandsantos.com is the website. Have a great meal! ***kim***
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
M&S is Italian which is not what I'm looking for but thanks for that suggesion.
I guess we're looking for low key (i.e. not dressy) where MDH can have his margarita and I can have a good glass of wine, an open room and preferably fresh fish.

Wow, talk about a lot of opinions on chowhound about passionfish!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, ain't that the truth? We dined there in April. It just didn't get it for us. But I do have to say it is economical and the wine list is extensive.

We were very disappointed with our entrees. I had a lobster dish that was $24 that was uneventful and DH had something he didn't like, I can't even remember what it was. Very uneventful location for being in a coastal town.

Next time I'll try Fresh Cream or even Stokes in Monterey. I could have had room service like DD did at the Plaza and would have been more satisfied. Well, enjoy the area, it's beautiful no matter where you decide to eat. ***kim***
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 09:32 AM
E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did a quick Google on Monterey's Fish House and did not find that it has its own website...maybe I just didn't see it. One quick warning: do not be put off by the restaurant's location! It's next to an auto body shop on a slightly crummy stretch of street. But inside, you'd never know it. Enjoy!
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My search showed that the website is under construction. ***kim***
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM
je

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jaspertl - be forewarned, MFH only serves wine and beer. At least that was the case less than a month ago, so have a margarita before you go.