Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A reputable website for renting a cottage on the beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I googled for "cottage rental beach Cape Cod" and di the same for various places in Maine, and there are so many sites that want to rent me their places. As such, I'm reluctant to pick any one and trust whoever is on the other side with my credit card.

Anyone have good luck with a website for renting a place on the beach?

Old May 16th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Did you look at vrbo.com? I went that route for an upcoming trip to Kailua, Oahu. I've never used it before, but many on this forum have recommended it. Do a search here to see what others have said.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Although I use local rental agents for places I go frequently, I have also used vrbo.com all over the US as well as Europe & never had a problem.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:19 AM

On Cape Cod, try Compass Realtors or Cape Cod Realty -- two local companies that have worked well for us.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Depends on what part of the Cape you wish to go. Rentals are very regional-ie: if you want to rent in Wellfleet oe Truro, pck a rental office in that area. Orleans, Brewster, the same. Most are very reputable. When you see things you like osn the website, then call the office and ask to speak with the rental agent. She can tell you what is available during the time period you wish, how far from the beach, etc.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:48 AM

We've used www.cyberrentals.com twice and had good luck.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:28 AM

I would recommend www.weneedavacation.com for Cape rentals. You can also use the local realtors but they are started to charge fees to renters as well (so I hear). We rent our house in Brewster and advertise on weneedavacation (sorry--we're already booked for 2005). We used to advertise on cyberrentals but found weneedavacation brought us more traffic.

If you need specific help on area realtors, let us know what towns you are interested in.

Also, if you use the websites and find a house with availability right now, you are in a negotiating position. I would be very motivated to rent (i.e. drop the price) if I had open weeks at this point.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:31 PM

www.vrbo.com is good, as others said.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied.

I spent quite a bit of time looking up potential place on cyberrentals. It's fairly well organized and most of the folks whom I contacted responded very briefly.

I also checked out some places from vrbo. It seems to be as good content-wise as cyberrentals, but a little messier and more difficult to wade through.

By the way, Canadians, it is still possible to find something for the last two weeks of June for under $800USD/wk ($1000CAD) but you better hurry!
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:29 AM

So now you must tell us Rachelle, where are you renting?
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:42 AM

Try www.vrbo.com. They have vacation rentals all over the world. We recently found a beautiful apartment to rent for a week in San Francisco.

Good luck!
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

CCROSNER,

Well! We're debating between a small attached cottage/condo for $500 on the beach, a small second-floor condo for $625 on the beach or a place at a B&B (An English Garden) for $540, 150 yards from the beach.

The place at $625 has photos of the interior and it looks neat, clean and spacious enough. There are no photos of the interior of the place at $500. So, do we take a chance on the cheaper of the two, and save $125USD (~ $160CAD)? Or do we suck it up, knowing the place is acceptable inside?

I like the B&B myself, but we were hoping to get a place with a kitchen and BBQ so we could do some of our own cooking.

Ahhh! What to do?

Again, I must wholeheartedly endorse the cyberrentals website. It operates much the same as VRBO. You can literally connect with folks looking to rent out their places anywhere in the world. It turns out you could an apartment on the French Riviera or a rainforest lodge in Dominica for the same price as a small cottage in Cape Cod! Small world!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:32 AM

RachelleButternut,

I'd actually go with the one whose interior you can see....if the interior were nice, they'd have a pic of it on the web! Are they in the same area? What town? If it's Brewster, Orleans or Eastham, I could help you with location.

B&B is nice, but I think you'll be happy to have a fridge, etc. Save $$ and more convenient. Also, your cottages might have laundry facilities.
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:54 AM

Rachelle,

What time of year are you considering? Those rates sound very, very low for the Cape...I'd be worried about what type of place it will be at those prices for the summer!
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Nina,

We are planning on going the second to last week of June, so not quite yet the high season.

Ccrosner,
We are heading to Dennisport. Neither my husband and I have been to the Cape in 20 or so years (we used to go as children with our respective families) and the only place we both remember being is in Dennisport and we have fond memories of places like the Fun Barn and the Sundae School.

My parents tell me that Yarmouth Port Harwich areas would be nice, too, but I think we'll stick with Dennisport.

Price update: The place that gave me the 'inside views' (see message above), that originally was $625 has come down to match the cottage at $500. Looks like it's a go!

I'm about to post another message about places to stop en route from the Cape back to Quebec. We don't mind heading out of our way and taking a couple of days to get back so if you have any suggestions (I was thinking about the Berkshires or Hudson Valley), I'd love to hear about them.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM

try mainechalet.com

a local family runs this place. it's a little out of town, but very quiet and peaceful and it's right on the water. the family has been doing this for years. they're trustworthy.

T.
Old May 28th, 2005, 02:07 AM

RachelleButternut,
You'll enjoy Dennisport especially before the season starts. It gets pretty congested on Route 28 in the summertime.

Sundae School is still there and probably much larger than you remember.

Clancy's can be a fun, casual spot to eat.

Be sure to wander up our way (Brewster) for a view of the Cape Cod Bay and a trip to the Brewster Store (old country store). I would also encourage you to check out one of the Atlantic Ocean beaches (Nauset in Orleans is beautiful with large parking lot, snack bar, bathrooms). The beaches are just beautiful.

We're off this morning to pick up our new boat....the weather in BOston has been SO awful that we are eager for some outdoor activity.

You have lots of choices for post-trip trip. We love the White Mountains of NH and Vermont. Maine's great. You can't go wrong!