Old Nov 26th, 2020, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A realy interesting article about tours in Savannah

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...01b_story.html
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my 2011 trip report, and Mr. Hardison might be retired:

On our first morning we had reserved a tour with Savannah Rambles (http://www.savannahrambles.com/ ) whose sole guide is Dirk Hardison. The tour is a great introduction to ante-bellum architecture in Savannah. My only reservation is that it is only ante-bellum architecture, with some seepage into the 1870s, so that some of the interesting buildings in the historic district of a later date were not mentioned at all. I admire and like the Oglethorpe plan for the city, but I found the traditional Charleston architecture with the piazzas (they would be called verandas elsewhere--but one import is well worth another) far more attractive. Dirk Hardison knows his subject, so he could explain a remark I heard about how wrong the brick slave quarters were in terms of climate (the soft brick absorbs, stores and then radiates heat). He could explain how the houses evolved: some of the major builders came from New England, started with New England style houses, and then adapted them--bigger windows for example-- to the Southern climate. Cost of a 3 hour tour: $20 per person.

Old Nov 28th, 2020, 06:01 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
From Gretchen's link - Patt Gunn is the CEO and founder of Underground Tours of Savannah, a cultural heritage experience that showcases African American history through walking tours and reenactments. She is known fondly by locals as Sistah Patt, a Gullah Geechee master storyteller.

I've not taken her tour YET, but plan to. I heard her speak at a local social justice event and she is fabulous!

Any visitor to Savannah should also include a visit to the Pin Point museum when it reopens.
https://chsgeorgia.org/PHM

It's wonderful!

Old Nov 28th, 2020, 06:03 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael
From my 2011 trip report, and Mr. Hardison might be retired:

On our first morning we had reserved a tour with Savannah Rambles (http://www.savannahrambles.com/ ) whose sole guide is Dirk Hardison. The tour is a great introduction to ante-bellum architecture in Savannah. My only reservation is that it is only ante-bellum architecture, with some seepage into the 1870s, so that some of the interesting buildings in the historic district of a later date were not mentioned at all. I admire and like the Oglethorpe plan for the city, but I found the traditional Charleston architecture with the piazzas (they would be called verandas elsewhere--but one import is well worth another) far more attractive. Dirk Hardison knows his subject, so he could explain a remark I heard about how wrong the brick slave quarters were in terms of climate (the soft brick absorbs, stores and then radiates heat). He could explain how the houses evolved: some of the major builders came from New England, started with New England style houses, and then adapted them--bigger windows for example-- to the Southern climate. Cost of a 3 hour tour: $20 per person.
Dirk is fabulous! One of the best tour guides I've ever had - and I take tours in virtually every city I visit. IMO there is no one who knows and understands Savannah's history, architecture, and the intersect better. He has another job but still offers tours.