Search

Is Cozumel realy touristy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Daniel

Is Cozumel realy touristy?

My wife and I are looking for a beautiful and relaxing Christmas week. I just heard of Cozumel for first time. Sounds beautiful. But is it really touristy and will it be crowded or is a more quaint but popular place? Any adice? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 03:34 PM
dmotl

It is less touristy than Cancun but alot more touristy than it used to be. <BR>up to 8 cruise ships now come in each day. Suggest you consider Isla Mujeres--a small island 10 miles from cancun. <BR>Quiet, Quaint, friendly, great beaches, and inexpensive. We have an 18 page brouchure on the island and surrounds that we can send you if you request. <BR>Also visit isla-mujeres.net <BR> dan & ginny

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 08:49 AM
bob

All major resort areas are crowded from Xmas through Easter, sorry!

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Sue

Cozumel is great place, with terrific diving and snorkeling. I'm not sure it's "quaint". Although cruise ships do go into San Miguel, the rest of the island is relatively un-touristy. Renting a jeep and just driving round the island, stopping wherever you fancy and swimming is fabulous. I bet you could still get accommodation for Christmas. Have a look at www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel.html for trip and hotel reports. Dan and Ginny suggest you go to Isla, I'd suggest you also look at Playa del Carmen, which I love.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 01:04 PM
Parrot Mom

If there is a Carlos Obriens there now..it's touristy, but we went there years ago on a cruise ship and loved it and went baCK FOR A week. There are some great restaurants..One day we rented a jeep (we never usuallyi do this).. and went to the other side of the island and found a beach, Playa Blanco.. the only people there were a few tourists and mainly the staff from a few cruise ships...restaurant there and rest rooms.. wonderful experience.. One of the places we liked for supper was El Morro, La Cosa Nostra (so, help me..we took a cab,..in the middle of nowhere...excellent seafood lasagna) and finally we broke down and went to the Lobster Cove..the best coconut shrimp.. stay away from downtown when the ships are in..or go gthe back streets..

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 09:43 AM
don

Yes it is touristy and yes you're probably too late to book for Xmas!