A quick weekend in SF

Old May 14th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
A quick weekend in SF

I haven't posted a trip report about my short weekend in SF but I've been asked about some of the details, so here's a quick trip report so everything is in one place.

Who: flight out to meet up with DF and a couple of meet-ups with some wonderful Fodorites
When: First weekend in April
Where: Just SF this trip - no time for side trips
Why: DF was out there for a conference and it was the perfect time to go. We had been out there the previous year in March. We've decided this will definitely be an annual event
How: Inexpensive roundtrip tix via Delta. Free place to stay. Focusing on things I've not done before

Result - a great short (4 day) getaway!
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Day 1 -
Delta flight from Atlanta at 9:35 arriving in SF at 12:07.

I'm not a big carryon fan, but love my new lightweight bags from LLBean so decided to give it a try this time. Love my bag. Holds a lot. It WAS nice just deplaning and grabbing a cab into the city.

Dropped the suitcase off at the Marriott at 44 Fourth Street (to be held at the bell stand until DF arrives) and off to the Ferry Building to start the trip off right!

Lunch at the Slanted Door - the Ferry Building
http://www.slanteddoor.com/

A wonderful treat meeting up with a couple of Fodorites at this wonderful restaurant. A perfect combination - great food, great view, great company!

Two of us started with one of their signature drinks (that I don't see on their online menu right now). Champagne with elderflower syrup. Light, not too sweet, delicious!
So good we each had seconds

(I just googled and came up with "Sunset on the Danube" for the name of the drink - but I don't remember it with that name.)

Everything was good, but I can highly recommend the Slanted Door spring rolls and the caramelized tiger prawns with garlic, onions and chili sauce were divine.

We shared the beignets with cinnamon sabayon for dessert. Wonderful!

Such a delightful experience and always wonderful to meet up with Fodorites again!

The Ferry Building - This was my first time visiting the ferry building and, as others have said, it's a new favorite and much more enjoyable than the Fisherman's Wharf area. The shops are amazing and the foodstuffs are fabulous.

I had explored the website before I left and knew I had to have something from Miette. DF's recent birthday was a great excuse and I stopped there to buy some gifts to take home and a couple of slices of incredible cakes (cocanut and chocolate) along with a candle to take back to DF.

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/miette.php

I wanted to wander more, but my new Blackberry Storm rang and DF had arrived in SF!
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah! Looking forward to reading about your trip!
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Night 1 -
Although it's hard for some to believe that starrs wasn't staying at the Hotel Monaco, the "free" hotel room at the Marriott was very nice. DF asked for a lower floor and there wasn't the usual elevator problem one finds at a big convention hotel. Wandering the warren of halls to get to the room was pretty typical, but I loved the location right at 4th and Market. Great for a lot of transportation options.

After talking about changing to a Blackberry Storm (for a long time), I finally did it the day before departure. I was a bit worried about getting used to it on a trip, but called DF and he had one too. He offered to help me out. As it turned out, neither of us had anything other than phone service for the entire weekend. I used the business center at the hotel for internet access. (Obvious) lesson learned - don't make such a change the day before you depart. I kept telling myself I was going to duck in a Verizon store to see if they could figure it out, but things were too busy.

Back to cake and birthday presents - we had a great time celebrating DF's birthday and we about to head out the door when his phone rang. He TRIED to reschedule, but a VIP was NOT going to take "no" for an answer. He hung up, conferred with me, and then called back to accept the dinner invite.

We scrambled for a Wicked ticket for me. A few days before great tickets were available for $99. DF had called brokers before (as a surprise for me) but we decided we'd rather spend our limited time differently. The concierge could only offer sets of two tickets (even though only one was needed) in the $400 range. I tried calling Ticketmaster and the box office. Finally, we decided that the best bet was for me to head down there myself.

I arrived just in time for their normal nightly lottery, but the box office had a FABULOUS seat in the front row of the balcony. I grabbed it. They gave me a map of restaurants in the area, and although I wasn't hungry I found a place to sit and relax until the show.

http://www.shnsf.com/theatres/index.asp?key=52
It was a treat seeing Wicked at the Orpheum theatre. I love the old, elaborate theatres. It was a bit like "coming home" to the beginning of Wicked - although the show opened in previews at the Curran. I was VERY excited to be there, and had another glass of champagne to celebrate

Earlier that week I had heard that Patty Duke had just taken on the role of Madame Morrible. That was another reason to see it. I thought given my early arrival at the theatre I would be one of the first to be seated, but there was already a man with his son on my aisle. A group of 5 joined me a bit later. I settled in for (big surprise) my favorite Broadway show. As usual, greeted Elphaba's entrance with applause. The man next to me greeted Madame Morrible's entrance with applause and I smiled (another nut ). Then, a bit later, when she sang for the first time the man next to me "conducted" her during her first four lines. I leaned over and asked if he was were vocal coach. He shook his head "no". A few minutes later, he leaned over smiling and told me he was her husband.

At intermission, the fellow to my right started chatting and he and his group were there to support his friend who was the understudy for another role. She knew that she would be performing for certain dates, and offered him four tickets. He wanted five, and she was able to pull through with 5 tickets. It was then that I realized why my seat was empty and how/why I got such great seats at the last minute. I was sitting in the friends and family row, and thoroughly enjoyed the conversations with my seatmates. The show, once again, fabulous and I added another Wicked city to my list.

Back to the Marriott to meet up with DF for evening cocktails. The concierge suggested a place that we walked to, but it was NOT at all as he described, so we stayed only a few minutes to rest up for the next day in SF!
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM

What fun Starrs to be in the friends and family row! Glad it was all you wanted and more!!

Question - there are many Marriotts in SF - which one was this?
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM

The Marriott on Fourth is a great location, isn't it? We stayed across the street at The Mosser last year when we met up with you and loved how easy it was to get around from there.

So glad you got to see Wicked; we saw it in Feb with lottery tickets and Carol Kane was Madame Morrible - she was great. I had heard that Patty Duke was taking over. Is she still married to John Astin?

And the Ferry Building, ahhhh - go much good eats and so little time.

I always reading trip reports [especially from friends] on SF, brings back great memories of my favorite city.
Deb
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Dawn, Starrs is talking about the one on Fourth, just 2 blocks from Market.

We stayed at Courtyard in Feb. It was very nice, but a really long walk from Market and Union Sq etc. It was on 2nd and Folsom. Got a great price, but it was a schlep just to get to Market St [15 minutes or so]

Deb
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Day 2 - DF heads out early to go to work. I PLANNED to head out early to explore the Saturday market at the Ferry Building.
I was tired. I didn't get out early at all

I DID make it in time for a bit of wandering before the wonderful tour of the Ferry Building offered by http://www.sfcityguides.org/

Thanks, StuDudley!

The tour was great. Short - only an hour. Very interesting history of the building and SF. Our guide did a great job.

Headed off to BART to grab a train to Oakland to meet up with another Fodorite. The last time we were out there, DF and I spent quite a bit of time walking around Berkeley with his DD. It was a real treat to see Oakland with a local as well. We stopped in for an incredible (and inexpensive) lunch at his favorite lunch spot - Shanghai restaurant. We ordered his favorites and added on a curry dish. The food was wonderful and very, very reasonable. Once again, the best part is getting to know Fodorites better.

We headed off in his car and I got a tour of Oakland and the hills. It had been two decades (scary to realize that it had been that long) since I was out there driving around there by myself for work and what a treat to get a tour by a local and to see the rebuilding that has taken place after the fires. One can only hope that everyone incorporates a lot of the fireproofing design ideas that they've used if there's ever a need to rebuild.

The day lasted longer than expected but it was absolutely delightful. With a hug goodbye, I was dropped off at BART to head back for an evening with DF.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:46 AM

>

Thanks Deb - I am low on Marriott points, but may have enough for one night stay -
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Deb is right. That's the one. I looked at the Mosser everytime we turned on 4th and wondered WHO I knew had stayed there. I knew someone had!

I DID like that location. My fav (the Monaco) isn't too far away, but I did like the close proximity to Market and everything it has to offer (especially transportation options).

I've seen Wicked TOO many times to admit to (and won't) and had tickets for the following week in Birmingham. B was my 5th city. Heck, I'm going to stop worrying about it. Some folks see a ball game in every city they can. I'm just doing the Wicked thing.

Patty Duke did a VERY good job, but it was a bit strange seeing someone so petite as Madame Morrible. All the ones I have seen were tall women with PRESENCE! Think Jo Ann Worley - LOL! An itty bitty Madame Morrible just didn't to seem as ... mean or dangerous... and the headmistress seemed so small next to the students. But, Patty Duke DID do a great job in the role. And, Wicked is known for casting all sizes and shapes and colors in various roles. LOVE that show.

No, she's no longer married to Astin. She's been married for 20 years to a nice, unassuming man and they live in Idaho. Their son was a gentle giant of a young man. Very nice people.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Thanks Starrs! I will see what I can come up with - because it is a long weekend, I do want the best location. I have stayed down by fisherman's warf and did not care for it as well as in a Marriott in Union Square, but cannot recall which one...I have a 100.00 g/c for a Hyatt as well...

I agree - who cares about Wicked and how many times you have seen it! Your time and your money . I have only seen it once but am going over the summer in S.D. to see it again.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Night 2 - When I get back to the room DF is resting after a long work day. Up early to interview folks, meetings, entertaining for lunch, an exciting new opportunity in his new field of speciality. He is wiped out. I am too. We both collapse to rest "for just a few minutes" and promptly fall asleep.

We do wake up and, although we both LOVE to travel, have absolutely no ideas of what to do when we get up. We are in the midst of discussing room service and a movie, when it hits me - WE ARE IN SAN FRANCISCO ON A SATURDAY NIGHT! We get up.

Both of us are tired, but DF has the idea. He leads me to the Powell Street turnaround, not a problem with lines at night and we jump on the next cable car. We have our pick of seats and we ride on our wonderful chariot through SF at night.

It was magical.

http://www.sfcablecar.com/routes.html

At the end of the ride, we walk over to the (internet problems, let me see if I can save this post)
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Love your trip report starrs and it sounds like you had a wonderful time. And you sure spent time with some fantastic Fodorites! My grandson recently saw Wicked with his "new" girlfriend and I need to hear how they enjoyed their evening.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM

"her son was a gentle giant" ... Sean ?

we ride on our wonderful chariot through SF at night.

I did that when I lived there but it was on a motorcyle .. thrilling... flying through the streets late at night, over those hills.. hanging on for dear life .. but a cable car can be fun too.
How could you stand to leave?
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Starrs: YOu have given me a great idea to take the cablecar for a ride at night through the streets.
I will be in SF for a very short while and thus was thinking of various ideas on how to enjoy the city in the little time I have. Will try your idea for sure.
Wonder how late into the night,the cable cars run?
Enjoyed reading about your adventures and experiences.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM

I love those "stealth" GTG, don't you?

Great trip report.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Wonderful trip report to a favorite city. You had me at the bakery...I guess I better go pack.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Patty Duke was in the room next to me in St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica when our sons were born. Sean, a day after mine. That is when you stayed in the hospital 3 days, she had a private room of course and kept the curtain drawn. It was very hush, hush who the father was, she was not married. Turns out Astin was not Sean's father after all. Her room was full of flower arrangements, the nurses station had them all over, so they started lining the hallways with them. It smelled like a funeral parlor. LOL

Nice trip report!
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM

ileen,
We took the cable car from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf on Valentine's Day at about 8pm. We walked around a bit, then took the cable car back. We hoped off at California and had a drink at The Top of the Mark. It was wonderful. Riding at night gives you a very different sense of the city. It was also freezing cold!

Deb
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM

i love your idea of a cable car ride at night. it sounds just glorious!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -