Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A quick question about Cab from point to point in Chicago

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Sandi

Hello all. I'm going to Chicago over Labor Day Weekend to see the Cards vs. Cubs at Wrigley Field. On the Sunday afternoon game, I may need to leave a little early but am not sure. Game time is 1:20. I need to be back at the Best Western Inn of Chicago on Ohio (or Ontario) street at 5:00 sharp to meet friends, from where we will leave to drive to the Tweeter Center and a concert there. I will take the El (from State street)to get to Wrigley Field but it may be wiser to catch a cab back. Are cabs easy to catch outside Wrigley? How much should I expect to pay for the ride? Or is public transport just as fast? Thanks for any advice!

Sandi

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:07 PM
alex

Cabs are pretty easy to catch outside Wrigley, particularly before the game ends. They are usually driving around Wrigley waiting for the game to end to get fares. I would expect to pay, depending on traffic, between $14 and $18. Which will be quicker? Good question - traffic might be bad but a good cabbie should know which streets to take. If I heard the el coming, however, then I would run and get on!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Ang

I live near Wrigley and would say the time would be about the same for cab or EL right after the game. (Normally a cab is much faster but with after game traffic . . . ) I don't thin it would be as expensive as Alex said though. On a normal day a cab ride from house which is by Wrigley to Michigan Avenue or even to Marshall Fields on State is $9-$10 plus tip.

Regardless how you get there, it will take about 25 min. after the game. (normally without traffic the cab ride takes 10min!)

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:13 AM
alex

I was including tip and factoring in that it would be Labor Day weekend and a game day - maybe I overestimated a little. Last time I took a cab to the game from work though it was $14 plus tip. It's really hard to tell without knowing what the traffic will be like. I agree about the time estimate.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:21 AM
patg

Sandi will have to include the ten minute walk from the CTA station to her hotel. Also, Sunday trains are not that frequent. To be safe, I'd allow about 30 minutes if taking the el train.

Michigan Avenue will be pretty peaceful late afternoon on Labor Day Sunday, and this would shorten the cab ride. But it is a close call; besides that walk to and from the train feels pretty good when you have been sitting on ball park seats all afternoon!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Donald Fehr

Sandi probably won't have to worry about the Cubs game as the players have set a strike date of August 30.