A place with the friendliest people?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to retire in several years and I was wondering where would be the best place where the people are outgoing and friendly. We now live in the frenetic, too busy, northeast where people don't have a lot of time to spare for each other. I once read about a couple who moved from NY City to Metarie, LA and had visitors at their door every day asking them out or bringing a welcome gift. (I tried this on my new neighbors and never heard from them again.) As I said, we just want to be in a place where people are not afraid to wave and say "Hello" even if they don't know you.
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Welcome to the Shenandoah Valley
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:42 AM

I read a post from you on this last week or so and thought South Louisiana so it's funny you mention Metairie! New Orleans or smaller surrounding areas depending on what other requirements for activities you have sounds like the place for you!
During my first trip to NYC, we noticed that people were not as friendly as we are used to. We were 5 girls. We spoke to someone on the subway and a guy sitting not too far said - you must be from the South. We thought it was our accents, though we don't really sound like they make us out in the movies! He said he did recognize that because he was from Mississippi, but it was mostly because we started a conversation with someone on the subway! I think you'd be hard-pressed to ride the street car in NO and NOT have someone talk to you!
I lived in Thibodaux, LA for 10 years and loved every minute of it. It is definitely the kind of place you are talking about. I'm still young so that's why I ended up in NO. It's less than an hour from NO so you've got all of the options of big-city-life very close! Let me know if you think about South Louisiana & I can give you some options!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:49 AM
bamakelly

You didn't mention any other interests, climate, etc, but we absolutely LOVE our city. You'd think Huntsville, AL might be a hole-in-the-wall and an unattractive place to live, but you simply can't get any finer people. Though small, the city itself is beautiful (small mountains and gorgeous seasons). There is plenty to do here culturally: a strong symphony, broadway league, and a decent art museum. The area is well-known for the space and rocket industry. Big cities are just over an hour to the north and south. Newcomers are certainly welcome; hardly anyone is actually FROM Huntsville. When we first moved here, our next door neighbors had -- are you ready for this -- a pot of hot coffee and a breakfast cake waiting for us in our own kitchen! Welcome gifts and food kept streaming in for months, and one couple that we met threw us a welcome party. Little did we know, they'd made different invitations for the guests than what they actually showed us--the invitation asked everyone to bring a gift to shower our new baby--what a surprise! I have lived in 5 cities and never felt more at home than I do in Huntsville.

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Neworleanslady, a warm climate is definitely desirable and I love all kinds of dancing, plus swimming, shopping, good food, and talking long walks.
Louisiana is sounding better by the minute. How bad is the heat?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Well..... You had to ask, didn't ya? It's pretty dang hot. That's a nice SOUTHERN lady speaking. I could use a few other words, but you get the idea. I've got to admit that July & August are pretty miserable. I've lived here all my life and we obviously all live through the summers, but when I hear people "up North" talking about remote car starters for heaters, I think hmmm... would be nice for the AC in the summer! Have you ever been down here? I could try to compare to that time period what the worst might be. Summer afternoons are usually mid to upper 90's with 90% humidity and I believe the best term might be "sweltering"! They saw we'll keep our youthful appearance with all this sweating. (Another plus!) But, that being said, it is currently 77 in Lafayette, LA (2 hours West) with winds out of the SW at 12 mph. SO, how can you beat that in February?
It snowed here this year for Christmas, for what we all think is the first time EVER. Unfortunately (but not really!) I was in South America. The last time we had real snow in this area (south if I-10) was probably 10+ years ago. "REAL" snow being anything that sticks to the ground and you're sure isn't just "mist".
Back to the heat - we just try not to be outside too much in the afternoons in the summer and I feel for those people who work outdoors - especially in construction. Unbearable? No. Uncomfortable? Yes. I'd recommend spending time here in August before deciding to move!
We've got the dancing and the wonderful music, great food for sure, lots of lovely buildings and homes to look at on your walks, swimming everywhere - just take a dip when you get too hot!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:16 PM

"our next door neighbors had -- are you ready for this -- a pot of hot coffee and a breakfast cake waiting for us in our own kitchen!"

bamakelly: cmon now...how did they get into your kitchen? I am picturing stumbling into my kitchen first thing in the AM in my robe (maybe) and seeing happy smiling strangers....LOL

I guess I am liking the concept but in practice, I might be lunging for a butcher knife!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Hehe, I read that too slightly confused. If I found my neighbors in my kitchen making coffee, I'd probably call the police.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Though it's a number of years away, my wife and I have often talked about where we'd like to retire. After sifting through all the criteria, we've reached the conclusion that it will be more important to our happiness that we're surrounded by our current friends than a bunch of friendly strangers.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM

beachbum, I agree. My grandparents felt that way too, which is how they found themselves retiring to Chicago to be by their grandchildren (which is probably the last place they had in mind).
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM

I grew up in New Mexico then moved in my early teens to Florida. I missed those smiling faces and friendly people I left behind. It was quite different in Florida.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM

My Mother lives in Bella Vista,AR and everytime we visit her the people are very friendly. It has 6 Lakes, 5 Golf courses. A very nice place to retire plus most of the other retirees are from
other states. Bella Vista is next to Bentonville AR home office of Walmart.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Sunnyboy

Don't confuse courteous people with friendly people. Almost 15 years ago my wife and I relocated from the northeast (where we left behind loads of friends) to a city in the southwest. The people in our "new" city are extremely courteous (always saying Hi!, stopping to chat in the stores, waving to you as they drive by, etc.) but they are far from being friendly. We invited many new acquaintences to our home for drinks or dinner but after two years of intertaining we found very few ever reciprocated. In fact I can count on my hands the number of couples who invited us into their home and have plenty of fingers left over. Their idea of a social "payback" is to invite me to a fund raiser where I have the pleasure of donating $100's for a rubber chicken dinner - they seem to like my money more than me. To this day when we attend some type of community function I'm always asked "So, how do you like living in NAME OF CITY to which I reply I've been here almost 15 years. To them I'll always be an outsider.

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:16 PM
bamakelly

Oh, don't worry...the pot of coffee was welcome in our kitchen! I guess that did sound a little funny if you didn't know the circumstances...we arrived at our new house in the early morning. The moving van was to meet us at the house at 7 am. Our real estate agent lives on our street and was planning to meet the van with a key in the event that the movers made it there before we did. Our next door neighbors wanted to offer a bit of hospitality, so they pre-arranged with the agent to have the coffee and breakfast there waiting on us. My husband tells everyone he knows that we had a hot pot of coffee waiting for us when we arrived. He *loved* it! Our neighbors (not just the coffee makers, but lots of the ones on our street) remember every holiday for our son and are incredibly generous and kind, while still giving us plenty of privacy.

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM

bamakelly, that was nice!
Our neighbor was waiting for us with the movers truck. Asking a million questions and getting in the way. She said she thought of bringing an apple pie. ( But she didn't)
We moved from NYC to Fl. The people here are nice, smile and friendly but don't come to the door with invitations or coffee. We actually prefer that. They certainly wave hello here. Total strangers wave if you drive down their street! How do they get anything done ? lol..
I have to say, when I moved to NY and knew no one but my husband, I met people every day in our building , friendly helpful and outgoing. I don't think that the South is that much friendlier, they just wave more
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:30 PM

My husband and I went to college in San Angelo, Texas and there were many retirees there. It is a town of only about 100,000 people and without an interstate highway, so it definitely has that small-town feel. The people are friendly and there is a strong sense of community there. If we could have found a way to earn a living, we would have stayed forever...
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Scarlett - That's too funny. People retiring to Florida to become full time wavers!! 8-)
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Paula, yes!
When my husband retires, we will sit out by the road and wave
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM

I don't want this to be taken as insulting to those living in the South..now that I think of what I said
I grew up in the South and I know about Southern 'ways'...
But the other day, I was talking to the lady across the street and a car went by and she waved.
I said, who was that?
She said she did not know.
I asked her why did she wave, and she said she didn't know~
She laughed , it is funny, everyone just feels like they should wave ~
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Hi Scarlett

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -