Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A nice hotel on the upper west side in New york City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 04:17 AM
annemarie

We are looking for a hotel in this area for a 4 night stay in August. Within a 8 block walk from the Museum of Natural History(?) What is this neighbourhood like anyway? Would it be the neighbourhood you would stay in? Annemarie

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 06:59 PM
Beverly

Hi, Annemarie. I don't know hotels in the area but I wanted to comment on the area. The neighborhood around the Museum of Natural History is called the Upper West Side. You will like the mix of residences and smaller stores and restaurants - very New York but not so commercial or rushed. The Hadyn Planetarium is in the Museum of Natl. History and has great shows. You will be near Central Park which is a fun place to people watch, rollerblade, and bike. If you walk east across Central Park to 5th Ave., you can visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim, and more. This is the Museum Mile. Back on the west side, walk down Columbus Ave. for shopping and good restaurants. I recommend Isabella's on 77th St.. Try their warm chocolate mud cake for dessert - our favorite. On the weekend, Sunday I think, there is a flea market across from the restaurant. Go further south on Columbus to Lincoln Center for concerts. At night, there is jazz at Iridium, a on 62nd St (?). Go east on 59th St.- or 57th St. - to 5th Ave. and you will be in a ritzy shopping area, Rockefeller Center, and NBC studios. There might also be free street festivals when you're here. When you arrive, pick up the "New York Magazine" - not to be mistaken for the New Yorker magazine. This will tell you all the current happenings in the city. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 06:59 PM
Beverly

Hi, Annemarie. I don't know hotels in the area but I wanted to comment on the area. The neighborhood around the Museum of Natural History is called the Upper West Side. You will like the mix of residences and smaller stores and restaurants - very New York but not so commercial or rushed. The Hadyn Planetarium is in the Museum of Natl. History and has great shows. You will be near Central Park which is a fun place to people watch, rollerblade, and bike. If you walk east across Central Park to 5th Ave., you can visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim, and more. This is the Museum Mile. Back on the west side, walk down Columbus Ave. for shopping and good restaurants. I recommend Isabella's on 77th St.. Try their warm chocolate mud cake for dessert - our favorite. On the weekend, Sunday I think, there is a flea market across from the restaurant. Go further south on Columbus to Lincoln Center for concerts. At night, there is jazz at Iridium, a on 62nd St (?). Go east on 59th St.- or 57th St. - to 5th Ave. and you will be in a ritzy shopping area, Rockefeller Center, and NBC studios. There might also be free street festivals when you're here. When you arrive, pick up the "New York Magazine" - not to be mistaken for the New Yorker magazine. This will tell you all the current happenings in the city. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 04:19 AM
elaine

The Mayflower Hotel is on Central Park West and is quite nice. I don't have their number but I'm sure it will be easy to inquire. Easy walk to Nat.Hist museum.
Here's a lesser-known place. Hotel Newton, 2528 Broadway, between West 95th and West 96th St. 212 678 6500.
The neighborhood is decent although not the prettiest in New York but the prices can't be beat. I work for a place that has occasion to refer visitors to moderately-priced hotels, and we've heard only good things about our referrals to the Newton. You'll be a little far uptown, but the buses and subway make it pretty easy.
If you have any other NYC questions let me know, I live here as well.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 05:14 PM
steve

The Lucerne is a moderately priced hotel with a good upper west side location.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 03:12 AM
Madeline

I can help you find Bed and Breakfast accommodations in NYC. Please e-mail me at [email protected]

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 10:09 AM
Louis

The hotel you want is The Milburn at 242 West 76th Street NY 10023 1-800-833-9622. This is a suite hotel with studios at around $145 plus tax. If they have specials going (ask), studios might be as low as $115. The neighborhood is fine. You have two gormet groceries within two blocks where you can pick up food for dinner. We have stayed there. There are no frills however. You can easily walk from there to the Metropolitan Museum and you are within 8 blocks from the Museum of Natural History.