A GOOD STEAKHOUSE THIS THANKSGIVING

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A GOOD STEAKHOUSE THIS THANKSGIVING

Well I've booked my tickets for the Knicks game and am waiting to confirm my Wicked tickets. Decided to get the extra buses from Port of Authority to Woodbury Common for the Midnight Maddness on black friday. Only thing still having problems with is somewhere to eat.......... decided to go with a Steakhouse and wanted Keens but there booked up by the time I got round to it, heard good things about there 2 so disapointed what the reviews like on Wolfgangs, Rosie O Gradys etc if anyone knows anywhere else on the same level of better please let me know got a choice out of:
http://export.opentable.com/opentabl...3%3a00%3a00+PM

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Do you know about menupages.com?

BLT Prime

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2007/09/..._to_be_co.html
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
And do you know about www.tinyurl.com?
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM

I see you're from the UK. Are you familiar with Aberdeen's and Angus Steakhouses? To me Rosie O'Grady's is pretty much in the same category.

Too bad about Keen's. Have you called them or are you only going by Open Table? Quite often places will have openings when Open Table shows otherwise. Maloney and Porcelli is excellent. I'd probably go for that. I'd suggest any of the Bobby Van's, but looks like they are fully booked, too. Smith and Wollensky shows openings, and I like them -- but actually prefer the big bar to the stuffier dining rooms. I've never been to Micheal Jordon's, but many seem to rave. It's kind of fun since it's inside Grand Central Station, too.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi thanks for all the information, I'm going to phone Keens when I get a chance to see if they have any reservations left, just looked at BLT Prime and might try there if I can't get Keens or Micheal Jordan's.

Thanks again.

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:10 AM

I don't think Michael Jordan's is supposed to be very good at all. I haven't been. My favorite line in a review is "...Michael Jordan's is a good steakhouse if you're a vegetarian."

http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...=0&cuisineid=0
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM

I just thought of DelFrisco's, which actually gets a higher score from the new Zagat for food than any of the other's named -- including BLTPrime. I've not been to the one in NYC, but LOVED their steaks in Dallas.

McLaurie, interesting about Michael Jordon's. I've only heard raves, but I did notice it does have the lowest (but only slightly) in Zagat's food ratings of the places we've talked about.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick thanks for your advice, I've just phoned Keens and got a booking for 2:00pm on Thanksgiving hope it lives up to all the good things I've heard about it!

Thanks again
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:28 AM

There is only one steakhouse in New York - Peter Luger's. Good luck with reservations, though.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:11 AM

My NYC favorites are Palm, Sparks, Capital Grille, and Quality meats. I also just discovered (but haven't tried) a place called St. ANdrew's on w. 44th st. that looks interesting and gets great comments.

I haven't been to Keens', MJ's or BLT. Of the big names, I think Ruth Chris's is the worst.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:13 AM

I also liked Landmarc in Tribeca.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:23 AM

MFNYC, St. Andrews? The kind of Scottish pub/restaurant? I love it, but I sure wouldn't call it a steakhouse by any stretch of the imagination. Love their salmon, and they have good food generally. I guess maybe they have some steaks, but I've never seen anyone around me order one.

Travelgourmet, regarding Peter Luger's. . . put me in the camp that went and really enjoyed it. Steaks were very good and the whole place was "fun but a little different". But in all honesty, I doubt I'd go through all that effort again. Were the steaks better than a number of places in New York? I'm not so sure. Where the sides as good as at most places? No. Was there anything really fabulous about the decor, service, or surroundings? Certainly not. Was my cocktail wonderful? Definitely mediocre. It's really all about the "gimmick" of the place -- hard to get into, no credit cards, often brusque service, and a pretense about having no pretenses.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I haven't been there but it was listed under steakhouses in menupages.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:32 AM
GoTravel

Skip BLT.

My girlfriend and her husband who are in the restaurant business just ate there on Tuesday and said it was horrible.

The tableside caesar was made with bottled dressing and the filet was crap.

I would try Palm, Peter Lugers, or Sparks.

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 08:28 AM

If I can just butt in...

I've never understood the steak thing. I've less than zero interest in service, decor, cocktails or other diners.

But where - Luger's apart, for it's for this weekend - do I have the highest likelihood of finding out what excites people about slabs of steer? Good side orders would be nice, but not essential. First courses, napery, all the rest...inessential. Just the steak. And which cut?

Last, do the steakerati recommend a cheeky little Californian red or just plain beer to get the true US steak experience?
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Wolfgang's (try the downtown location as opposed to the midtown location). I really love the food -- service and atmosphere are quite good.

P.S. St. Andrew's is definitely *not* a steakhouse. I work close by and have eaten there a few times. In my opinion, the food is pretty horrible.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM

flanneruk, beer is not usually the drink of choice at a major US steakhouse -- well, maybe at Outback. Yes, a cheeky California Red (or a nice Bordeaux if you want to spring for it) is excellent. But there is an increasing trend back towards martinis, manhattans, or Robroys with fine steaks these days.

As to which cut -- I'll take a New York strip sirloin any day -- very flavorful and good. Some swear by a filet mignon -- tender as can be (but I prefer something I can chew and has more flavor). Porterhouse or T-bone is the recommendation many places including at Peter Luger's.

GoTravel, are you serious that BLT makes their tableside Caesar with "bottled dressing"? Or do you mean they premix their dressing and put it into some sort of decanter bottle to use tableside? I'm willing to bet it isn't a store bought Kraft or Wishbone, which the comment would seem to imply.