A few questions re: Atlanta trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Atlanta 3 days this summer. We are staying at the Embassy Suites Airport location. We couldn't get into the other Embassy's for the time we are traveling. On one day, we want to tour CNN, World of Coke, and probably go to Underground Atlanta. Any suggestions as to the order to do this so we are not backtracking? Would it be to much to go to Centennial Park on the same day? Also, I have read out on this site to go to an Italian Restaurant in Inman Park. They mentioned this was a crazy restaurant. Where is Inman park and do you know the name of the restaurant? Also, could we take two 16 year olds? Not sure how crazy it may be! I read once about a glass factory that should not be missed, but I cannot remember the name of that. Anyone have info on a restaurant called Bahama Breeze, location, nice, etc? I would like to go to nice but fun atmosphere restaurants during our stay. Is Virginia Highlands somewhere we would need to get to by car or the Marta? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Deb
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 08:33 AM

World of Coke and Underground are together so you can easily do those two,in oh 2-3 hours.Underground is worth maybe 30mins max.Most locals do not go there,it's sadly kinda dead.CNN and C olympic park are next to each other,so that can be done togeter to.All this can very easily be done on Marta-check out itsmarta.com...Virginia-HIghland could be visited by Marta bus but a cab is probably your best bet.Teenage boys would probably like Six Flags,Stone Mountain,and if they like Military (Civil War) History Kennesaw Mountain.Along the same lines the Cyclorama should be on you must see list if you have not seen it before.Enjoy your ATL visit!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Deb,
It would be best for you to stay at a hotel either downtown - near World of Coke and CNN (fun tour!) or in the Buckhead area. You could also check for availablility in the Perimeter Mall area.

Lenox Mall is in the heart of Buckhead, near lots of fun restaurants teens might like: ESPN Zone, Atlanta Fish Market, Maggiano's and Cheesecake Factory to name a few. There's a Bahama Breeze in Alpharetta, about a 30 min. drive from downtown.

My teens like to go to Six Flags, White Water (awesome water park fun!), and Stone Mountain Park. You can either hike up the mountain or take a tram, plus there's a laser show on the lawn each evening at 9:30.

Since you only have 3 days, you could do "downtown" one day, Cyclorama the next morning - it's really neat - have lunch near there then head over to Stone Mountain for the rest of the afternoon/evening.

Then choose something on your 3rd day depending on what you like...shop & eat in Buckhead or go to the water park for a day of fun in the sun.

Not sure about the Inman Park area - maybe someone else has some ideas...

Have fun!

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM
GoTravel

I agree to stay either downtown or Buckhead instead of the airport (Atlanta is the worlds busiest airport). Midtown is also very nice.

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Hi..the glass factory is Frabel Studios.... www.frabel.com
We were there again in October...they will be opening a shop in Buckhead this summer, but if you want to see the artists sculpturing in glass...up front and personal...it's the place..it is well worth finding. took an Atlanta couple and they were absolutely captivated...me, I bought three pieces..lol If your interested in more info on Frabel, please write to me..
[email protected]
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 07:39 PM

I think the restaurant i n Inman Park you're referring to is Fritti. Mainly pizza and very good. It's really not that crazy. There are many Bahama Breeze's but I wouldn't bother going to them. They're just not that special. A good restaurant in Virginia Highland's is Dish, my teenagers like to go there. I agree with the other poster that you'd be better off staying in Buckhead but the Atlanta Fishmarket has gone downhill, stay away. The cheesecake factory isn't so great either. If you go to Lenox Mall, the Prime is a good restaurand and Twist is a good restaurant in Phipps across the street. If you're with 2 teenage boys, they may like to go to a Braves game.Hope this helps.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information so far! I really appreciate it! We are traveling with two teenage girls, but we are going to a Braves game. I am so partial to Embassy Suites and was disappointed that I could not get into any other one other than the airport. Maybe I'll check into others. What is Cyclorama? Sorry, I don't know. Again thanks for everything!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:49 PM

Hi Islandbreeze,
Okay, this is going to be very vague but you said you were looking for fun places to go to eat. Well when my husband and I lived there for one LONG, HOT SUMMER...we used to go to a place in Buckhead every Sunday morning called Hughey's, or Hughy's, I forget how it is spelled but it is a great place for breakfast. The theme is New Orleans Jazz (music and decor) and they do a great job. I gained a lot of weight that summer eating there but it was worth it. It's on a street called Peachtree something-or-other but that will be no help whatsoever because as you will discover, practically all the streets in Atlanta are either Peachtree st, Peachtree Ave, Peachtree Way, and so on. Try to find it...I think you'll like it!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 10:03 PM

Actually, I just looked up HUEY'S on the web, and it is located at 1816 Peachtree ROAD in Buckhead. It's actually listed as a Cajun cuisine place and gets raves about its coffee and beignets (pronounced bin-YAYS) which I agree are awesome. Good luck!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:45 AM

I hope you got your answer to the restaurant question in Inman Park. I don't know the restaurant you're asking about, but Inman Park is a nice, old area near downtown.
You mentioned Virginia Highlands. Personally, I'd plan on spending some time there. It's a wonderful old section of Atlanta, that has a vibrant area chockful of nice, cozy restaurants and little stores, all along tree-lined streets. (you'd probably need a car.)

Buckhead is also a nice area. Very young. lots of hip bars and restaurants, and great shopping, i e, Lenox and Phipps.
Bahama Breeze, as mentioned, is a chain (there are LOTS of chain restaurants in Atlanta), but I guess young people like it.

Have fun.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Cyclorama is a round painting depicting the Battle of Atlanta during the Civil War. It's in Grant Park near the zoo. You come up through the middle and stand at a rail. Where the painting ends at the bottom they have continued with real dirt, rails, stuffed soldiers to give it a 3-D effect. There is music and narration and the painting is illuminated as the story unfolds and you walk around the rail and follow the story. It doesn't take very long, probably less than an hour but I've always enjoyed it and found it very moving.

I also love Embassy Suites, but I'd look else where too. Last fall I stayed an an AmeriSuites near Lennox. The price was very reasonable. I don't think the sleeper sofa at AmeriSuites would accomodate two teenagers if you are trying for one room but check into other options.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:43 AM

The only other restaurant it could be is Fritti's sister restaurant that is right next door. It's called Sotto Sotto. Also very good.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:43 AM

I live in Atlanta and I can honestly tell you that you do NOT want to stay in the airport area if you are here to visit and not just having a lay over. The commute will drive you insane. I would opt for Buckhead or the Downtown section as well. I now live in the East Cobb area and we have a Bahama Breeze here. The food is pretty good and as far as chains restuarants go, it ranks pretty high BUT since you are only here for a few days, I would forget the chain restaurants and choose to dine at the local joints.

If pizza is what your gang wants, try Everybodys or Fellinis. Everybodys is located in the Viginia Highlands area and Fellinis is located in Midtown, Buckhead, and the 5 points areas.

You should certainly visit the Highlands for the quaint shops and try breakfast at Murphys. Piedmont Park is also a nice place to go and hang out especially if you like dogs because many people bring theirs.

I agree that ESPN Zone will entertain the kids as would Dave & Busters. I would pass on the Uunderground unless you are just dying to visit. It is an unfortunate waste of space. Have fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Hey travel gal! Hope you're feeling better. Now, who got rid of whom?
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Fritti does have the best pizza I've had in Atlanta, and it's close to Virginia Highlands. Not sure where the "crazy" reference fits in, though. Another excellent place for pizza is Baraonda near the Fox Theatre on Peachtree. As for Buckhead, you might also want to try Nava for Mexican. Very upscale and great food. I hope you enjoy your visit.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM

Another vote to stay away from Underground and NOT to stay at the airport. I don't even see the attraction for the "World of Coke", though your daughters may get into it. Seems like one big Coke commercial to me, and they charge you for it to boot. The highlight for me was tasting the various drinks they offer in other countries at the end. CNN is excellent idea. So is Stone Mountain, even with the recent commercialization. I enjoyed the Cyclorama as well. I don't see the rave about Fritti. Save yourself $5 each and go to the newer Osteria on North Highland in Va-Highlands. Other excellent restaurants, though not necessarily "fun"---La Tavola, Pasta da Pulcinella, Tacqueria del Sol, Five Seasons Brew Pub, Chopstix, The Flying Biscuit, Roman Lily Cafe, Blue Trout, Mambo's, so many others; you just need to make a plan of where you're going to be at any one time, and look for what's in the area. There are so many great restaurants in Atlanta, I wouldn't waste time with the chains.
Look at
http://atlanta.citysearch.com/best/c...estaurants_3_3
http://www.atlanta.citysearch.com/
http://www.atlanta.creativeloafing.com/
http://www.accessatlanta.com/restaur...nts/index.html
http://mapquest.digitalcity.com/atlanta/dining/

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Lot's of great advice here. I think you and your 16 year olds will like Buckhead (PLease do NOT stay by the airport).There are many fine hotels there.I believe that there's an Embassy Suite walking distance to Lenox Square (best shopping area). I also recommend Stone Mtn.,especially later in day staying for the laser light show.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 03:47 PM

We stay in downtown Atlanta every year for the dental convention and after trying all the big names we found this great hotel and have stayed here four years in a row. It is downtown, but it is a small hotel.It used to be apartments and you can get a "room" that has two bedrooms,living area,and kitchenette.There is a free breakfast in a nice eating area and they also have free drinks every night for a couple of hrs.(not on weekend nights tho)They have a free shuttle bus.Check out Best Western Granada Suites Inn. Very Charming.The prices are great also.