A few questions on Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be coming to Charleston for three days early October. What is the MOJA Arts Festival? Is the Old Slave Mart a great place to visit? Would Fort Moultrie be almost as satisfying to visit as Fort Sumpter. I heard that it was much closer and would take less time than Fort Sumpter. I read that Shem Creek Marina in Mt. Pleasant was great for watching glorious sunsets over Charleston Harbor...???

Any comments on these things would be great! Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM

Here's a link to MOJA:
http://www.mojafestival.com/home/

I think you mean the Market. It's full of tourists and touristy souvenirs but many enjoy it. You can get a sweetgrass basket there. Fort Moultrie is on Sullivans and it's easier to get to than Fort Sumter. You have to take a boat to Ft. Sumter. Shem Creek is beautiful at sunset. I think the best views are from Vickery's if you want to take pictures.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Going to Fort Sumter would, indeed, take up a lot more time and trouble than going to Fort Moultrie. Whether it would be more "satisfying" to do one or the other is a matter of opinion.

For those wanting to visit historic places, Sumter is hard to beat -- it's where the South began the Civil War. Prior to this, some Americans felt that secession would lead to nothing more than a few angry words; after the South's aggression, full-scale war became inevitable.

Fort Moultrie has SOME historical interest, but was hardly a major turning point in U.S. history.

If passionate about U.S. history, Sumter is almost a necessity. If just interested in seeing any historic fort, Moultrie is as good as any other.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 08:11 AM

The Old Slave Mart Museum (different place from the famous Market mentioned by Suewoo) is located in the only surviving building in South Carolina where human beings are known to have been traded as slaves. The building/museum is now owned by the City of Charleston. I've never been there, but it looks interesting: http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/charleston/osm.htm
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Here's information on the MOJA Arts Festival, which starts this week and concludes Oct. 3: http://www.mojafestival.com/home/
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Having been to both, I would say Fort Sumter was much more interesting (and satisfying). Fort Sumter had some really knowlegable rangers giving talks about the fort and the Civil War. At Fort Moultrie, we just kind of wandered around on our own looking at things. If you do go to Moultrie be sure and check Poe's tavern for a great burger.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM

I agree that Fort Sumter is probably more interesting that Fort Moultrie, but it is also more expensive to visit and does take longer to tour. It takes a little over 2 hours to visit Fort Sumter, because it's 30 minutes out there on the boat, you get an hour at the fort, and then at least 30 minutes back into Charleston. There is a ranger talk at Fort Sumter, the fort itself to explore, and the museum. There is the added bonus of getting to see Charleston from the harbor. Fort Moultrie isn't a bad substitute, though. It has a much smaller museum and you take a self-guided tour of the fort, which has its own charms, since it's on Sullivan's Island (my own personal heaven!). Also, I have to disagree that Fort Moultrie was not the site of a major turning point in history. It was actually the site of the first major American victory over the British during the American Revolution.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 01:29 PM

PaulRabe -- I love your response, though I imagine that many of my relatives and inlaws would be looking for the tar and feathers! You might want to stay away from SC for a while!

I can't wait for you to tell the Irish and the Scots that they have never been better off than when under English rule!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM

Right ackslander! My ancesstors are rollin over...
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 04:08 AM

The only problem with Paul Rabe's characterization of the Civil War is that it is "really" known down heah as "the late unpleasantness"!! LOL
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM

The recent unpleasantness. Y'all.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM

"slave market" on market street - tacky trinkets. avoid, unless you want a sweetgrass basket.

fort sumter bored the hell out of me. fort moultrie has not much to see, but it possesses a really spooky air, you can see why Poe was entranced. AND it's on the beach....you must not come to charleston without going to the beach anyway.

Shem creek may have views, but most of the restaurants there are tourist traps. Have a drink at sunset and then move on.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 09:17 AM

I agree, and truthfully, if you want a basket get one from a basket maker on Hwy 17 in Mt P.

And right, the Shem Creek restaurants don't have the best food in a foodie town. With views like that they barely have to try. The exception to that rule, IMHO, is the Boathouse on IOP. Gorgeous view and great food.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

What is IMHO?
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 05:31 AM

in my humble opinion