A few questions about the Big Island & Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me with plans for a trip this August to the Big Island and Kauai. First of all, has anyone stayed at the Waikoloa Beach Resort? If so, can you recommend it?
If we stay there is is too far to go to the volcano for a day trip? I have read that it is a long, bad road,to avoid it at night, etc. But then we were told the same about the road to Hana and it was a snap to drive. (We live in the mountains and are use to sharp curves.) I would like to stay until dark to see the lava flow at night. Suggestions? Also, on Kauai we are thinking of staying at Nihilani Princeville Resort. Opinions? I will thank you in advance, to paraphrase Tennessee Williams, "I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers."
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM

From Waikoloa to the entrance to the Volcanoes park will be about a 4 hour drive -- 3 1/2 maybe if you are lucky. The road is not bad, just winding in parts, and near Kona the traffic can be busy. And it will stay light until pretty late because you are about as far south as you can get in the US. So the trip home will be very late in the evening.

To get down to the lava flow at the ocean is about another half-hour to 45 minutes. I don't know how far they let you go out on the lava right now, but when we were there two years ago it was another half-hour hike. If you do go, (maybe overnight?) be sure to take sunscreen, LOTS of water, a hat, AND a flashlight for each person if you are hiking at night. Don't wear floppy sandals on the hike because the lava is very uneven and it's easy to slip. The lava is very rough surfaced so if you fall you can get some nasty "road burn" type injuries. And be prepared for it to turn cold and windy at night. Take binoculars because you will not be allowed to get very close because of the danger of hot lava underground. (the reason for that is if the crust breaks and you fall in, you die.)

Also, at the top of the Volcano it is often chilly and raining, so be prepared. It's about 6000 feet.

All that said, it's a neat experience as long as you are prepared.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM

The lava is not flowing into the ocean at this time. You can't hike to see it. The best way to see it is by air, either helicopter or fixed wing aircraft. The prior posters comments don't apply to the current situation.

You can get updates on the volcanic activity by going to the Hawaiian National Park website. Best check there closer to your departure times
http://www.nps.gov/havo/
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM

Honestly, I'd stay one night in Volcano and minimize the driving. Charnees is correct that it's a 4-hour drive, and the traffic in/out of Kona can be bad. It's easy to spend a whole day at Volcano, so better to stay closer and not have to rush back.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM

We are planning to fly into Hilo and drive immediately to VNP. We will spend the day and overnight there. The next morning will be in VNP and we will drive through Hilo on to Kohala coast. Does this sounds like a good plan?

I know the lava is not flowing into the ocean now (although we will be there in 2 weeks so maybe then). If that is still the case is there anything to see at night?
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM

marlib, I have stayed at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott twice, and loved the location, the staff and my visit there. I do recommend it.

Susan, Volcano Village is very quiet at night. The volcano is the big attraction there ... We just have a great dinner, and enjoy the peacefulness of it all.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM

To answer your Kaua`i question...

Nihilani Princeville is a newer condo complex (sorry, but it's not a resort). Because there are still many unsold units, the developers have a site about the complex (including a lovely slideshow):
http://www.brookfieldhawaii.com/nihilani/

The complex is on the main Princeville Road; some units have golf course and mountain views (no oceanviews); all units have A/C; all units have garage. And I think they all came with washer/dryer, too.

Units are individually-owned -- and since it's still new, you can expect any unit to still be in very good condition.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Sorry, I meant is there anything VOLCANO-WISE to see at night!

Also would you recommend we drive to the other side by way of Hilo or Kona?

Also for staying on other side, do you think Kohala or south Kona is better (and does where we stay determine which direction we drive?). Right now I have a reservation at the Marriot Waikoloa - although not sure if we need this level of resort (especially since we are planning to go to Mauna Kea one day rather than hanging on beach).
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Susan, definitely go the Hilo route to the Kohala Coast, way prettier. Kona will be cheaper, but the beaches and resorts are not as nice, to put it in a nutshell. Kohala is more upscale, with the Marriott Waikoloa being the most reasonable of the upscale, if that makes sense?

There is nothing at all wrong with Kona ... perfectly nice, but I prefer the Kohala area. Just depends what you like.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Re: Volcano. Nothing you can see right now at night. Impossible to predict what will be happening in 6 months.