A few notes from a Palm Springs visit - Casa Cody, the Art Museum, Dining

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently attended a conference in Palm Springs, then stayed two extra nights on my own. I was surprised that I couldn't find that much about visiting on Fodors, so I'm adding my few notes (I did get some great advice on lodging, thanks!). It was mostly work, so it's not a lengthy trip report, but hopefully the info will be helpful to others. I really enjoyed my visit, and I didn't even get a chance to golf this time!

First - lodging
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Lodging

Westin Mission Hills

The conference was at the Westin Mission Hills as it was two years ago as well. This is a beautiful property, and I was very jealous of the people heading out to golf and play tennis while I attended the conference. But, for those of you who might be planning a conference, I have to say that they really do such a nice job (both years).

The food is fairly decent for conference food, all the staff I ever encountered was friendly and helpful, and there a lot of places to mingle and rest both outside and in when not in a meeting.

I only had one restaurant meal on the grounds, a light one in The Den. Very simple, tortilla soup and salad, and it was very good. The rooms are as you would expect, quite nice, with the wonderful Westin bed. A silly thing probably to focus on, but the soaps and shampoos were wonderful, and heck, they had great coffee in the rooms so all in all an enjoyable stay.

Web site:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1008

But, a little too pricey for me to stay the extra two nights on my own so I moved to:

Casa Cody
For the two extra nights I stayed I moved to the Casa Cody. This was just perfect for what I wanted, which was simple relaxation. I didn't want to rent a car, I didn't need a fancy spa, I just wanted a place I could relax, read a book, take a swim, and walk easily to dinner. Casa Cody met all my needs just perfectly.

My room had a small kitchenette with full size stove/oven, refrigerator, microwave sink and some dishes, pots and pans, and utensils. A back door was off the kitchen. The front room had a king size bed with sheets as great as the Westin heavenly bed, a fireplace, flat screen tv, a small library of books, two arm chairs with an occasional table. There were touches of Mexican and southwestern art. My room opened right into the front courtyard and pool area.

It's a funny combo of luxury and a little wear and tear. As I mentioned, the bedding was luxurious, and the towels in the bathroom were as well. The bathroom was a bit dated, so if that kind of thing bothers you, then this isn't the place for you. A few spots on the wall were worn as well. These things did not bother me at all, but I want to point them out for people it does bother.

The grounds are fantastic. Bougainvillea everywhere, lemon trees, little seating areas and tables scattered about where you can relax. There are two pools and one whirlpool. Escaping a midwestern winter, it is hard to imagine anything that could have made me happier than sitting under a lemon tree reading a book between taking dips in the pool.

There is a light breakfast served in the courtyard in the mornings. It's not particularly fancy, but was fine for my purposes. The coffee was pretty horrible though. There was oatmeal, a variety of cereals, coffee cake, sliced fruit cups and orange juice from what I could remember. I took an early morning walk each morning and picked up my own coffee from Starbucks along with the paper before I came back for breakfast.

I talked a few times with another guest there, who had brought her elderly father for a week. She said she normally went to Europe on vacation, but now that she was caring for her father she couldn't travel as far. She was from the SF area. Anyway, she loved the place too. She could cook light meals for her father, and walk easily the two blocks over for restaurants and shopping on North Palm Canyon Drive. She said she felt more like she was staying in a villa in Italy than a hotel in her own state. Never having been in a villa in Italy, I can't compare, but I did love it there. It was beautiful, relaxing, the staff was friendly and helpful. I hope to be back. I paid 179 a night.

www.casacodypalmsprings.com
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants

These are the restaurants I visited during my stay:

The Chop House: www.palmspringschophouse.com

My friend Joe and I drove up and down for a bit and he spotted a steakhouse. We had no recommendations to go on, so we just got lucky with a very good meal. We both ordered the 39.50 prix fixe menu, which was a great deal. The meals were simple steakhouse meals, but really really flavorful. We both had salads, and I don't remember the cuts now of the steaks we had, but they were Brawley Ranch beef and wonderful, then creme brulee. We shared a bottle of their house Cabernet (I think!) and along with the wonderful service enjoyed our dinner out in the warm evening.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Bing Crosby: www.bingcrosbysrestaurant.com

Joe, Cora and I drove around looking for someplace to eat, and saw Bing Crosby's. How could we not stop? Again, we got lucky with another very good meal. The service was decent, if not as wonderful as The Chop House. The ambiance was fun, huge old Hollywood photographs, a bit of memorabilia but not too Applebee's, a big fireplace. It looks like there may have been a cigar lounge, and the bar looked great although we did not stay for music later.

I can't completely remember the menus as we had some of the specials. I remember I had seared scallops and foie gras followed by shrimp, Cora had their soup of the day and a salad, and Joe had the wedge salad and their special entree. So, that's a sad retelling, but it was all very flavorful.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Las Casuelas Terraza

I ate here twice. I have been searching for Chile Rellenos that tasted like the ones I used to get at Rancho Ramona years ago, and Las Casuelas Terraza had them. I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to have them as much as I could. I also had a Chili Colorado Enchilada, and this was also very tasty, meltingly tender meat in red sauce. The second day I also ordered what I think they called their fiesta guacamole. It was wonderful, chunky with avocado and just enough spice. I was glad of the kitchentte though as I had to take back some leftovers. I also had their large margarita the first day at lunch -- just a warning, when they say large they do mean large! I had intended to do a little shopping around after lunch and instead decided I better go lounge by the pool instead as I was a little loopy!

I did not eat at the original location, instead I was at the one on S. Palm Canyon Drive. There is outdoor and indoor dining, and apparently in the evening there is live music.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Pepper's Thai Restaurant www.peppersthai.com

My last day I had the lunch special here, which is hard to beat. For 6.95 I got a salad with peanut dressing, a fried cheese wonton, and Panang Curry Chicken (my favorite!) with rice.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

My activities

Well, really, I don't have a lot to list here, I wasn't there long and I was much more interested in being lazy. But, here are a few things.

Palm Springs Art Museum - www.psmuseum.org

On my first early morning walk I was so lucky to walk past the museum and note that they have a special Wayne Thiebaud exhibit. This exhibit goes through May 9 and I strongly recommend you go if you have the chance. It is 70 years of painting, and is just really well done. There is an area with a sort of documentary going which is also very interesting to view. As it turns out, the museum is free on Thursday nights from 4 to 8 pm, music in the courtyard, etc. I do wish I had known that before I paid 12.50 earlier in the day.

Someone here on the board, then my taxi driver, then the waiter at the Chop House, all mentioned

Palm Springs Village Fest - Thursday nights - www.palmspringsvillagefest.com. It was definitely a lively scene, lots of booths, lots of food booths, farmers produce booths, etc. My favorite booth was "Ask a Rabbi."
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Well, that's about it. Otherwise I did a lot of walking around and enjoyed the shops in the area, enjoyed being warm, enjoyed lounging by the pool. Not the stuff of exciting trip reports I'm afraid!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Thanks Toucan, will be in the area next winter, and wish more people did these short reports.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Yes there are too few reports for the amount of questions!

In addition to Casy Cody, there are several other inns with a similar setup around a central pool in Palm Springs. Desert Hills Hotel is one that friends enjoy.

Other things to do around PS are the Moorten Botanic Gardens and the Indian Canyons.

Glad you had a good trip. And that the Westin has spruced itself up a bit.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Well, I kind of wondered if this would be helpful when I posted it, so I'm glad a few people think it will be--thanks!

Yep, I was lazy. There looked to be a lot of things I would have enjoyed had I had more get up and go. I really wanted to take that tram to the top of the mountains for instance! And go out to Joshua Tree, and down to the Salton Sea...

Two years ago I also went out to the Coachella Oasis (don't remember the exact name or if I spelled it right) and that was very cool too.

I did see Desert Hills there, and when I took my mornng walks I noticed a few other inns that looked like they might be similar setups. normanoramono had also given me some suggestions along with Casa Cody--the Chase and Coyote Inn, and sent me this link which helped me look at the different inns. Again, in case it is helpful to others:

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-...?category=Inns
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM

mlgb: I read your post and said to myself, "What botanical gardens?" So I looked it up and being local, we went on over and spent about an hour there! What a great place. Very interesting and amazing cactus. The "cactorium" really had us "oohing" and "aahing". We thought it was just delightful, so thanks for sharing!

Toucan: I wonder if you went to the McCallum Oasis? Off of Ramon, where there are a bunch of palm trees at the San Andreas fault and the pond is a short walk, about a mile away? It is a VERY cool place to see. There is a lookout point on the Morten trail (near the pond) that is eye candy. I enjoyed your trip report.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Pilates,
Maybe that was it. Someone else was driving When you pulled in there is a sort of keeper's house/trailer with lots of bird feeders, and a little further a litte cabin. There are several palm trees there, but then you walk out on a trail by the San Andreas Fault (very cool for me to see) to the oasis. There were several other trails you could take too, and as we drove back out they pointed out a number of trail systems they said were pretty cool. We had a limited amount of time so only took that short little walk. My friends were in Australia this trip (lucky ducks) so I was on my own, but maybe next time we will get back out that way.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Yes, this is helpful. I'm glad the Pepper Thai is still doing well. And next time I might consider Casa Cody - we want to go somewhere together (6 of us) probably for a long weekend, maybe Palm Springs.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Hi Toucan: I was wrong. After I posted to you, I did more research and I found this link:

http://coachellavalleypreserve.org/w...y/histone.html

http://tinyurl.com/dm86jm

It's officially called the "Coachella Valley Preserve". The first link has a picture. I only learned of it last summer, after having been recommended that I check it out. We had been there last summer but it was a million and one degrees so we never ventured further than the initial group of palms. In the last month I went with my husband and then my friend just came out this weekend so I took him to see it too.

While we're on the subject, another nearby GREAT place to hike that is free and beautiful, and where most of the trails are super easy is the Morongo Preserve. You can click on "Hike the trails" for pictures. The topography varies a lot, depending on which part of the trails you are walking. All the trails are gorgeous. Perfect spot for bird watching:

http://www.bigmorongo.org/

Aaaah. It's so gorgeous here now. I really dread the summer.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Yes, that's it Pilates!

We are going to have to make a real vacation of it one of these years. We'll probably plan it around the Indian Wells tournament, which is walking distance from my friend's place. Would love to visit all these places, and the Salton Sea, and Joshua Tree....

Do you live there? My friends have a condo there and in Manhattan Beach, so they close up the La Quinta place in the summer.

Thank you for the links!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Hi T: Yes I'm here in the desert. A transplant from L.A. March is the perfect time to come here because of all the wild flowers on all the hikes. There is a book called 140 hikes in P. Springs that looks good to me. I found it on-line. That is how I "discovered" the Morongo Preserve. Some of the pages of the book were viewable and led us to the preserve.

Joshua Tree is simply amazing. I highly recommend entering from one side of J.Tree (around Yucca valley) where there are great hikes and views of the trees and wonderful topography, and exiting from the other side (near Indio). To us as we were in the park heading out towards Indio, it felt like we were on the "road to nowhere". But a really cool road. You couldn't see where the road would take you and the terrain seemed like that belonging to another planet.

This is the first year we have gone on hikes. Now we are hooked! I see the purchase of walking sticks in our near future. The beauty is incredible.

Your friends are blessed to live in two fantastic places!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

"I see the purchase of walking sticks in our near future."

Enjoy! Yep, they are blessed, and deserve it, They are great people.