Search

a delicate subject

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2000, 09:48 PM
judy

a delicate subject

We will be in New York City for the first time soon. This site has been so helpful in planning what to do. I love this forum! But I haven't seen this delicate question raised - where does one find restroom facilities while spending all day walking around Manhattan? Thanks for your help!

Old May 18th, 2000, 03:13 AM
Owen O'Neill

I always use McDonald's or Starbucks. They seem to be well dispersed throughout the city and both have restrooms that are readily available - I've never had to ask for a key and never been asked if I was a customer. There are sure to be other options but it works for me.

Old May 18th, 2000, 03:43 AM
JoAnn

Department stores, & museums are other places to look.

Old May 18th, 2000, 05:19 AM
JB

Hotels are a good place as well. Personally, I always try to use the restroom in the Plaza Hotel. I guess in some small way it makes up for the fact that I will never stay there. Ha.

Old May 18th, 2000, 07:47 AM
gail

The nicest restrooms in the city are at the Waldorf, as you walk in from Park Ave, the restrooms are on your right.

At Macy's the restroom are on the 6th floor.

Manhattan Mall, the restrooms are on the 7th floor, behind the food court.

Really you shouldn't have any problems.

Have a fun time and if you need any more info, let me know, I live 5 blocks from the Empire State bldg.

gail

Old May 18th, 2000, 08:54 AM
minor

I don't mean to be picky, Gail, but two responses to your comments:
1. There are several ladies rooms in Macy's, not just the sixth floor.
2. Every department store has public bathrooms.
3. Why do you keep saying in all your posts that you live five blocks from the Empire State Building? So what!

Old May 18th, 2000, 10:23 AM
Tom

See the following website for listings of public restrooms in New York and a few other cities.

www.besttoilets.com

Old May 18th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Rob

My wife came up with the simplest (fastest) solution: she ducked behind a construction wall.

Old May 18th, 2000, 11:26 AM
cherie

Well-traveled people find restroom facilities in the lobby of major hotels. The ones at the Plaza, for example, were gorgeous! When I was a kid, I loved going to a particular dept. store in Los Angeles, in the Mid-Whilshire section, because the john was pink and black Art Deco. No Joke. In N.Y., Rockefeller Center has public facilities and the nice staff at the desk will give you precise directions for locating them.

Old May 19th, 2000, 08:16 PM
judy

Thank you all for responding.
I feel very confident now that this won't be a problem. By the way, the besttoilets site is a hoot!

Old May 20th, 2000, 09:46 AM
gail

To minor:

I said that because I do live here and alot of people who come to New York give advice that sometimes is wrong. I don't pick on them, I just leave the correct info.

NYC is a big city and can be overwhelming to some people, so I try to make them more comfortable that nice people do live here and are happy to help.

New Yorkers sometimes get maligned for not being very friendly so I hope that when people come here to vacation, on business or visiting that they have a great time and enjoy all that NY has to offer.

So lighten up.

gail

Old May 26th, 2000, 05:09 AM
Uhmduh

Judy, you are a moron. You entice people with the teaser of "a delicate subject" and then you ask such a lame question. Are you 5 years old or retarded? You don't already know department stores, restaurants, hotels all have public restrooms? God you are the dumbest poster I've seen in some time and that's saying something. Please, next time, I'd rather you urinated on my head then ask a stupid question like that again

Old May 26th, 2000, 08:28 AM
sophy

I think a delicate subject is cute so
nah-nah-nah-nah to you. Ps umduh is not so clever either, big brain! Judy, the answer is barnes & noble of course of course. Borders is nice as well. You will be fine here in NY. Just relax & don't drink too much tea.

Old May 26th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Leslie

The Best & Cleanst bathroom in the City is located in the Disney Store on 5th Avenue. Not many people know about it, so there is rarely a line, it is down stairs, in their Travel department, or where you purchase Park tickets.