A car nut in NYC...

Jul 25th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

A car nut in NYC...

We are headed to NYC this weekend for 7 days, and I am a big car nut. Anything cool to do related to cars?
Jul 25th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Outside of the Auto Show in April, NY really isn't much of a car town, unless you're interested in old subway cars.
Jul 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM

A trivia fact I found interesting...there's only 1 gas station on the island. That has NOTHING to do with your question, but I enjoyed that tidbit on a tour (hope it's accurate!)
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:57 AM

What island are you talking about?
Jul 26th, 2004, 04:12 AM

That would be the island of Manhattan.
Jul 26th, 2004, 04:19 AM
mp

Uhhh - no. there are approximately 13 gas stations on Manhattan. Yes, there are fewer than there used to be, because gas station owners are selling out to real estate developers (recent article in the NY Times). But one gas station? Laughable.
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:04 AM

I also heard the tidbit about only one gas station in Manhattan, from the tour guide on the evening Gray Line tour. He mentioned it as we passed several gas stations on the Brooklyn part of the route. Just another example of the misinformation and mediocre quality of those tours.
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Depends on timing. There might be a special event going on when you come. Check a calendar like TimeOutNY or the NYC Conv. & Visitors Bureau site. While it's unlikely to be in Manhattan, there might be a car show in one of the other boroughs. (There are several antique car clubs out in Staten Island where my family lives.)

About 6 weeks ago, for example Christie's was auctioning off about 20 to 25 high end sports cars. They had the cars on display at RockCenter for about a week.

If you want to be more adventurous, then perhaps you find a garage attendant who will let you drive your pick of the lot for a fee. For a few years I owned a 2 seat sportscar and I'm convinced that the glee on the faces of parking attendants when I pulled in implied they were planning on a neighborhood tour. While the joy-riding-garage attendant may be an urban legend, I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw that look!
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:02 AM

That's why I raised the question, knowing that there are a lot more than one gas station in Manhattan.
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:09 AM

The joy riding atendant is an urban legend. They're way too busy (except in the middle of the night when there's usually only one on duty) to drive anyone's car. Besides, if you're a real New Yorker you always check you mileage going in and out when you've left your car for overnight or longer (except when you're a monthly).

FYI - I'm not sure if most people know but these attendants (although their attitudes may be cavalier - and they do sometimes cause dings) are all actually bonded - it would be madness for the owners to risk otherwise given the total value of the cars they park (my monthly has a bentley, a ferrari, at lest 5 porsches and tons of mercedes, jags etc).
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Thought your question was interesting so did some research. Came up with a car museum in Syracuse but that's a bit far
http://popularmechanics.com/automoti...re/print.phtml

I always thought it was funny to walk along Park Ave. with all the office buildings and have a Mercedes dealership with cars mixed in. Don't know if that's your thing. It's about 56th st. Most of the other car dealerships are on 11th ave.

There is a fire museum in Soho that has some old fire engines???
http://www.nycfiremuseum.org/inner/museum/museum.html
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:12 AM

You know, I never asked my friend I was staying with. I do know that she was paying big $$$$ for her monthly parking and since the garage offered car wash service, etc. I just assumed that the "locals" got their gas at the private garages, the commuters filled up before they came into the city, and/or those going out to their weekend places got gas on the way out or back in. Considering the traffic congestion at the tunnels it would be inconceivable that there would be only one source of gasoline on the island. That wasn't my interpretation when I heard the trivia fact on the tour...which we established was incorrect information by the tour guide. Businesses (taxis, car rental agencies, etc.) must have their own gas tanks as well, right? Otherwise the 13 or so public gas stations would never be enough for all the cars on the island. Anyway, the one station that we passed did not have a long line of cars waiting so there has to be a system in place that is working to some extent.
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Urban legend or not NY Traveler, I SAW THAT GLEAM!

Remember what happended to George Costanza!
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:16 AM

FYI parking garages are for just that - parking. They don;t have gas pumps - and I'm not sure about pumps at car rental places - I've never noticed them, but since I have my own car I rent rarely - only if I need a big car for something.. Most people with cars in Mnahattan (and definitely taxis) get gas in either New Jersey or the outer boroughs whenever posible - because its usually considerably cheaper.

Don;t know where your friend parks - its possible the garage washes cars - but I've never heard of it as an official service (although the attendants in my garage will do it for $20 - off the books naturally).
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Rob

There are 32 service stations listed in the Manhaattan Yellow pages. We can assume there are more tha 32 since there might be some stations not listed.
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Yep, I did a search online and found 38 listings on the Manhattan yellow pages site that came up. Interesting thread, eh?

One thing we know for sure...that Gray Line tour guide was very, very wrong!!!
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Rob

A New Yorker, car owner or taxi driver, will gas up in NJ only if he is in NJ. Assuming a savings of 20 cents a gallon (about what you might save) you would have to take 30 gallons to break even snce the toll is $6. Don't know that there are many cars with 30 gallon plus gas tanks.
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:09 AM

I agree completely. Who would drive out to NJ just to buy gas? That makes no sense. I do know that before my friend bought her weekend place, she often went to NJ to shop - Ikea and other big box stores. My assumption would be that the New Yorkers that have cars that go off island to their weekend places would fill up on their way home. Just an assumption of course. She rarely drove her SUV on the island. Why would you? It's much easier to shop and have groceries, furniture, bulky items delivered than to hassle with getting the car out of the garage, much less deal with traffic and trying to find a place to park. We were amazed when the Oriental rug she bought was delivered to the apartment before we made it home from the store!
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I realized as this thread developed it was ironic that I said NY isn't much of a car town but I actually have a car. I drive around the city all the time actually on the weekends, once you know neighborhoods a little there are many neighborhoods that have fairly easy free or metered parking on the weekend. But don't let this secret out, ok?

It is funny that a guide said there was only one gas station in Manhattan. This is why I never recommend the Gray Line tour to friends who visit the city. By the way, I see taxis at regular gas stations all the time.