A Boston 'T' $ ?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Joan

A Boston 'T' $ ?

Will be in Boston for three days. Is there a metro (T) card/pass or is it just pay as you go? Any financial details? Thanks.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:34 AM
tim

A single ride on the T will typically cost you $1 each way, unless you choose to ride very very far. Multi rides are available, but I'm not exactly sure how much. Go to www.mbta.com for rate and package information on the T.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Ann

Joan, the price of the T is $1 per ride, but you'll find that Boston is so small and walkable that you'll ride the T one way and end up walking back to wherever you began. It's probably better to just pay as you go.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Philip

I would like to ask: are there any good places to park outside of Boston and take the T into the city for the day?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:49 AM
kcd

Philip, there are plenty of places to park outside of the city and take the T into the city. Most of the T stations in the suburbs have parking lots/garages. Check out www.mbta.com for more info., but you'll most likely pay $3 to park at a T station, maybe a bit more for the Commuter Rail, which extends further into the suburbs of Boston, and runs on a more limited schedule than the regular T. You can get parking, schedule and fare info at the website.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Joan

Thanks for your responses. Do you purchase tokens or is there a ticket booth at each entrance..exact change needed?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Michele

Joan,
When you go to a "T" station there are change machines availabe for $1, $5, and $10. You receive tokens which you place either in a turnstile or directly on the train itself.

You'll probably end up getting several at a time (though not too many) - about 5 if you're just visiting. That should cover you for several days.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:55 AM
gail

Regarding parking at MBTA lots outside Boston, depending on where you are coming from, many are filled on weekdays by 7:00 or 7:30 AM with commuters. Often spaces open up after noon. I don't want to discourage you, but it would be most annoying to get to lot and find it filled. Many T stops also have private lots close by which are more expensive, and while still filled early in the day with commuters, may have spaces a little later. I am most current on lots to North of Boston - Alewife (Cambridge), Oak Grove (Malden/Melrose line), Wellington (Malden/Medford line) and Sullivan Square. Since my husband uses one of these very day, I do know these are almost always filled. Another option is to take a cab to T line from wherever you are staying. Drinving in Boston will likely reduce you to tears or incite you to road rage - the ever-changing Big Dig has even natives confused. Now that I have been totally discouraging - I suggest you tough it out and visit - Boston is a great city once you get there, and most sites are very walkable.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Joanne

The parking lots and garages at the statoins at the southern end of the Red Line, in Braintree and Quincy, also fill up early on work days.

The T does offer multi-day passes. The one-day pass, at $6, isn't much of a bargain unles you're taking more than 6 rides! The 7-day pass is $22 and I'm so sorry I don't remember the cost of the 3-day, probably it's $11. Check www.mbta.com. I think you're better off just buying a bunch of the $1 tokens.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:25 PM
KenCT

I sometimes drive to a parking lot near a "T" stop and have encountered full parking lots on weekdays. Thus I have a somewhat related question for Boston "T" experts. Does anyone know of a moderately priced hotel within walking distance of a "T" station south or west of Boston?

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Ann

Ken, the Holiday Inn in Newton (on Rt. 128) is right beside the Riverside T station. Don't know what their prices run, but location is exactly what you want. Also, the Sheraton in Newton Corner is over (i.e. air rights) the Mass Pike, and there are busses, both local and express, which run into town from there. Hope this helps.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Jean

I found a room with kitchenette and attached bathroom through www.commonwealthcourt.com on Comm Ave. for $550/wk. for this coming March. This is in Back Bay and only 2 blocks from the T. I think I got a good deal.