Search

911 Memorial

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
911 Memorial

Hi, I have a 911 Memorial Visitor Pass for early tomorrow. Does anyone know how long this takes? I would like to make some other arrangements and need to know the timing. Thank you so much for any information.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:10 PM

When I went on a rainy day, the lines were pretty long. I would say get there...30 minutes before your time. It also helps if you go earlier in the day. When I was there, and if you're interested in finding out countries and info of the deceased, there are some interactive computers. There is a huge info building, but it was closed in early June, but it may be open now.

Also, don't forget to visit the 9/11 Memorial Visitor Center!
Located just down the road, next to the church(20 Vesey Street); oh and don't forget to visit the church! Absolutely amazing.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:12 PM

Glad you can check this off your list of visitor sites. I almost wish there WASN'T a visitor center
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Oh and be ready to go through security. It replicated airport security, so don't wear too many layers.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM

The lines are long. Definitely arrive and get in line 30 minutes early. It takes about 30 minutes give or take to get through the waiting and metal detectors (don't bring a big bag because it's not allowed). You can spend as much time as you wish in the site, but it's not that time-consuming. You can skip the visitor center or not depending on how much time you have, but it's after you exit and quite crowded. To be honest, if there are other things you'd rather do, you can give this a miss. I went on Saturday, and it was underwhelming. The plaza itself is nice enough and very pleasant---doesn't feel too crowded even with all the crowds. When the construction is done, it will be a nice public space, but for now it's just a drag (or was for me). The two voids were for me more depressing than moving. But everyone has a different reaction. This doesn't surprise me. I didn't really want to go and would never have set foot in the plaza had my father not wanted to see it. We ended up staying about 20 minutes, which was more than enough time for us.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

thank you. All of this information is very helpful. Doug .. exactly what i was looking for. Thank you!
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
For me, I felt as if I were in a beautiful cemetery and was moved by all the names and the pools/void.
I tried to think of how I would feel about this memorial if any of my loved ones' names were among were among those engraved.