Reload this Page >

9 days Fall Foliage tour

Search

9 days Fall Foliage tour

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Nira

9 days Fall Foliage tour

We heard a lot about the fall foliage and will appreciate suggestions for a tour leaving Boston on Oct. 1st and be back to NYC on the 9th afternoon. We will rent a car and if needed will fly back to NYC. We prefer not to travel too much every day.
Thanks,

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Rachel

Hi Nira,

We went to Woodstock, Vermont last year over Columbus Day weekend and had a great time. It was a cute little town with good restaurants and quaint little shops to fill our time when we got sick of looking at leaves. Woodstock is about 4 hours from Manhattan. I would highly recommend it. The Woodstock Inn looked very nice but you have to book your rooms ASAP. Everything books up way in advance. I can't stress enough...work quickly and book your rooms

Enjoy!

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 02:55 AM
Donna

The advice to book your rooms forthwith would be well taken. Note that many accomodations require a three night minimum during foliage season. See www.newengland.com for driving tours. Or, better, pick up a copy of "New England's Best-Loved Driving Tours", or even just a map of the New England states with the most scenic roads annotated. During that time of year, if you head for the White Mountains of NH or the Green Mountains of VT, you'll be rewarded with spectacular foliage in every direction. We just happened to drive through the Catskills in NY last 10/9 and the leaves were positively magnificent.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Nira

Thank you Rachel and Donna.
We have to decide wether to start from Boston to the north coast line for 4 edays (Oct. 1-4) and then to NH+VT for another 4 days.Will it be still the special color of the fall foliage?
Thanks for any advice.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Beth

Yes, there will still be color - but limited accommodations! You must book rooms in advance. Places to see along Rt. 95 include: Newburyport, MA, Ogunquit, Maine (be sure to walk the Marginal Way!) and Portland. (You may also be interested in Boston's northshore: Gloucester's Hammond Castle Museum and Salem's House of Seven Gables and Witch Museum.) If you head west from Portland, you'll end up around North Conway, NH and can pick up the beautiful Kangamagus Highway. Follow that to Lincoln, NH then head southwest into Vermont. (Although the northern parts of VT are lovely, they are usually well past peak by the second week of October.) I agree with the other poster that the Woodstock/Quechee/Windsor area is lovely to explore. But again, rooms will be very difficult to come by - especially on the weekend. If you are driving back to NY via Rt.91, you may want to consider a stop around So. Deerfield, MA. There is a historic village, and an incredible Yankee Candle Shop full of X-mas displays reminiscent of Rothenberg, Germany. (Shopping, restaurants, occasional entertainment.) Hope you enjoy!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 03:34 AM
Donna F

I always consider Oct 12th to be the peak of foliage in the Concord NH area but really, foliage color lasts a long time. Some trees have already started turning due to stress and drought. Different species turn color at different times. Check the papers in the area you are visiting as there is probably going to be a foliage festival of some sort. Of course, I'm partial to the Fall Foliage Festival in Warner NH which is a 2 day event. Parades both days, crafts, farmers market, small midway, food vendors, etc. Make sure to visit an apple orchard for the very freshest and tastiest apples. I'm not a fan of the White Mtn area, I think you would find it prettier around Lake Winnipesaukee, and try driving thru Center Sandwich, NH. You might consider a boat ride on the Mt Washington as a relaxing way to see a lot of foliage. I would not attempt driving in the North Conway/Kancamangus area on Columbus Day weekend (Oct 6-8), it will be too crowded.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 11:36 AM
nira

Thank you all for great useful advices.
We are happy that now we can make that foliage trip, as we planned to leave Israel on Sep.11th, when this tragedic events took place. We are now in NYc, reading and elaborating all replies.
So thank you all and be brave as America is a unique and important country and a model of a place to live in.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 07:06 AM
abc

to the top