9.5 hours at Denver Airport...ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 9 1/2 hour stop in Denver. I arrive on a Monday morning. I understand the airport is quite a distance from downtown. Any suggestions for this time would be appreciated.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM

You can take the SkyRide bus to downtown, about 50 minutes or so. Plenty of time to wander downtown and get back for your flight. $11 one-way.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyRide_SubHome.shtml
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM

When we're killing a couple of hours at DIA we always swing by Tom Mangelsen's photo gallery and check out his latest work. He's one of the top nature photographers in the world, if you enjoy that kind of work.

http://www.mangelsen.com/
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM

I wouldn't waste time on public transportation in Denver. It may be pricier but I'd take a cab. I just returned from Denver on Thurs. Holy Cow, it's a long way from point A to B. That said, I don't live in Denver and had only visited last week for the 1st time.

The Denver Art Museum was well worth my time. I've never had much of an appreciation for Western Art and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It's a large museum but they've provided some interesting and comfortable rooms so you can take mini breaks.

The airport was easy to manage but really, if money isn't a concern take a taxi. You may be able to cut a deal with a driver.

Denver is a pleasing city to visit. Have fun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:10 PM

Oh, yikes. No suggestions, but I AM interested in what you find.

I have occasion to travel to Denver on business, and more occasion to pass through on plane changes. Given the distance of the airport from downtown (waaay off in the eastern boonies IMO), it might be a challenge to find something better than just chillin' at the airport.

Eagerly awaiting happy news...
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:07 PM

Cab fare from the airport to downtown is at least $50 and still take 35-40 minutes. The link I provided is a specialized route, not a regular city bus. If money is no object then yes, take a cab. Just be aware of how expensive it will be and how long it will take.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:46 PM

The Skyride will take you to the Market Street station on the 16th street mall.. Heart of downtown. The 16 th Street mall has a free bus the will take you the full length of the mall area. From the south end turn around it is a short walk across the capital grounds park to the art museum. The brand new Colorado history museum just open last month . It is south along Broadway just one block south of the art museum . The art museum is a block west of Broadway. Both would be easy to see. The are lots of good restaurants along the mall and the side streets. You could easily kill six hours or so.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:19 PM

Wow! It's still $50?? Even with the 50 minutes into town, the OP still has a few hours.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:35 AM

The Mangelson gallery IS fun and interesting. Unless there is another "branch" on other concourses (a real possibility) it is outside security in the main terminal shops on the ticketing level.
Fmpden has given a pretty nice itinerary if you want to go into town. It's a fun area and lots to do.
The art museum IS nice--we particulary love its Native American exhibits. Be sure to also note the architecture of the Denver Library next to the art museum.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:09 AM

If you go to the Art Museum at lunchtime, have a special meal there at Pallettes. It is not fast food--but it is a real fine dining experience (not expensive fine dining).
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM

The Yves Saint Laurent exhibit was surprisingly interesting at the art museum.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:00 AM

http://flydenver.com/hotelsneartheairport

With that amount of time, consider booking a hotel (Marriott at Gateway park) which are 10 minutes from airport and offers a free shuttle.

There is not much at the airport. They do offer 3 Airport Lounges, American, British Airways and United whcih might be worth a daily fee, but unfortunately none of them offer a shower/freshen up option. British Airways would be best of the 3.

If you are strapped for cash, Denver has an all faith chapel open 24 hours a day (many airports offer chapels and I frequetly use them as a sort of free resting place) and it is a quiet place away from the airport crowds to sit and read.

Lastly Denver also offers a very nice USO if you are active or retired Military.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:22 AM

If you go to the Art Museum, I would pass on Palettes for lunch. Without a reservation, the wait is very long. We were there 2 weeks ago, and there were LOADS of ladies doing lunch, in conjunction with YSL exhibit [not tours bus LOADS, but local ladies, from the looks of it. ] We waited close to an hour and the waiter was awful and the food just ok, despite it being a Kevin Taylor restaurant. Do yourself a favor - head just outside the museum to http://www.madgreens.com/ for nice food and way less wait time.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the comments. I would like to go downtown and perhaps spend a few hours there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:17 AM

Denver Art Museum is closed on Mondays!

There are free tours of the Capital Building, The Mint too. Both can be reached with a short walk from the terminus of the 16th Street Mall free bus. And the FRB has a small museum as well. You need reservations for Mint tour, though.

http://www.colorado.gov/capitoltour

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_tours/?ac...artreservation
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:26 AM

Oh, I am sorry you had that at Pallettes--but it is a popular place to eat downtown, not just museum goers by any means. Drop them a note.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:39 AM

We told the hostess on our way out. We had no bread, there was no salt and pepper on our table. The waiter came by to take order and then never came back to check on us. When we finally managed to flag him down, it then took forever to get our check. We dislike it immensely when we have to wait to pay. Kevin Taylor at Hotel Teatro was much better
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM

Definitely take SkyRide. It is a nice coach that will take you directly downtown. (Just make sure you take the right one, because some go to park 'n rides.)
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM

If your inclined to rent a car, be aware that DEN has very expensive rental prices from my experiences there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:53 AM

I am glad you did. They live by that. Glad KT was good for you. I totally agree about "wait to pay".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -