8-hour layover at JFK

Search

8-hour layover at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8-hour layover at JFK

Since no one has posted this question in at least three years, and since I'm now faced with an 8-hour layover awaiting a BA flight to London and on to Budapest, wondered if anyone has any new suggestions for what to do with 8 hours at JFK? I know it's not long enough to go into Manhattan, but are there new things to do in the airport? (In Pittsburgh airport you can get a manicure/pedicure and other treatments . . .) Fun/interesting places to eat? Thanks --
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:26 AM

It is certainly long enough to go into Manhattan. As long as you have a place to leave your luggage you should consider going. The airtrain/subway combo is only $7/person. The Airtrain/Long Island Railroad combo is ~$12/person. A taxi is a flat fare of $45 for up to 4 people. The trip is about an hour (subway takes longer I hear). So worst case scenario if travel takes 3 hrs. and you have to be there 2 hrs. before flight, you still have 3 hrs. in the city, enough for a nice meal, a loop on the hop on/off bus, a shop, depending on day and time, a walking tour.

There are now a few spas at the airport. Oasis Day Spa is at JetBlue in Terminal 6. Xpress Spa has a location in terminals 1 & 4.

http://www.xpresspa.com/

BA has a spa only for business and first class passengers.

But honestly, with 8 hrs I would go into the city. Even if you want a man/ped, it's much more fun to have it done in the city and then see something of interest. One of the places I like is Bloomies on 55 st b/we 5th & 6th. They're good, clean, cheap and fast and open 7 days a week, no appointment needed. You'd be right near MOMA, St. Patrick's cathedral, not far from Saks.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:23 AM

The Jet Blue spa is after security, so you can't go in unless you have a boarding pass...

You do have time to go into Manhattan, though I believe that the only feasible way of making a good use of your time would be to take a cab. Any other transportation options would take a lot of time. This would add at least $110 or so to your travel expenses...

Maybe someone can suggest a good area to spend some time in Queens or Brooklyn. You'd be closer to the airport.