Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

8 days on the Big Island! Can you help me make the most of our time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Maria

Dear Fodorites,

My husband and I will be spending 8 days on the Big Island and would like some help in organizing our days from experienced BI travellers. Here is the itinerary:

Fly into Honolulu late (10:30 pm) on Thursday night and stay 1 night at the Outrigger Reef Hotel. We will be dead tired so I have no plans other than try to recuperate and sleep at that hour.

Next day (Friday) head over to the Arizona Memorial and see as much as possible in the morning before catching a 2:10 pm afternoon flight to Kona (arrive at 2:50 pm).

Here is where I need help. We will be spending 5 nights north of Kona at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel so we have 2 nights to be someplace else on the island (preferably near the volcano) to see other sights.

So what are your suggestions on where to go starting Friday afternoon out of the Kona airport? We definitely want to see the volcano sights and hilke around so probably a convenient place for both nights is best. We have heard (read) lots of good things about Kilauea Lodge, Banyan Tree House a South Point, the Volcano Teapot Inn, Carson's Volcano Cottages and the Inn at the Volcano.

What other sights should we do while in this area south of Kona and near the volcano?

Restaurants you would recommend in this area?

OK, now on Sunday we head back to the Hapuna Beach area. We LOVE snorkeling and are considering a stop at the Captain Cook area before reaching Hapuna Beach. Any other great stops or snorkelling spots?

On Monday through Friday my husband has Continuing Education Meetings from 7 am to 1 pm and afternoons free. What are some good afternon (1/2 day trips) from Hapuna Beach?

We love hiking and historical sights as well as any kind of natural beauty, but are not the type to spend 6 hours on a beach in the sun. Kohala Mountains? Waipio Valley? Waimea? Other snorkelling close by for an afternoon excursion? Restaurants in these areas? We love ethnic (Thai, Indian, Chinese, etc...) if you have any favorites. Burgers and beach bars are great too.

I have heard that the whale watching should e good in february. Is it worth taking a boat trip out to the sea or just watching from the shore? Where is a good spot to wach or a good tour company to use?

On friday afternoon when his meeeting ends we will be free to leave the area and travel to the Hilo side for more touring until our Saturday night departure (8:00 pm out of Hilo airport). So any recommendations for a nice place to stay on the Hilo side and things to see and do until our Sat night departure.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Maria

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:15 PM
SG

There is a green sand beach - peridot- that I have yet to make arrangements to hike too. You can't take your rental car down the road. Only one jeep place rents where you can go that way. Then I think it is a four mile hike. Also, somewhere is a pink beach that I haven't found yet.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Laurie

Hi Maria,
If you haven't already, check out www.konaweb.com for more excellent info about the Big Island. Have a great time!!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 07:23 AM
kim

We spent 6 nights on BI recently. 3 nights at Carsons Cottages and 3 nights at Mauna Lani Bay Hotel. We stayed in the Koa Cabin at Carsons. It was very rustic, small bathroom, worn out towels. Old beds. Paid $175/night. I imagine it was that much because of the outside hot tub, which was very nice. We were totally surrounded by rainforest, could not see the neighbors thru the trees. Breakfast was very good and the hosts very nice and helpful. Their regular rooms are much cheaper, I think. Not a bad experience, but I have nothing to compare it too.

Make sure to rent a Jeep Wrangler so you are not restricted with your exploring. The rumors you hear about cockroaches in the rental cars are true. It happened to us. We had to exchange the car. Not pleasant.

The dining room at Kilauea Lodge was beautiful, but the food was average.

Thurston Lava Tube is a quick hike. Make sure to visit the lava flow at night, its an amazing experience. Bring flashlights.

Note that Hapuna Prince is a very far drive from Kona. 30 mins or more.

If you visit any state parks along the road from Kohala to Kona, be very, very careful to get out well before closing. My husband and I got locked in one-we attempted to leave 45 mins before the posted closing. Had to call 911 and wait for the gatekeeper to return. It was a nightmare.

Outrigger Reef was a very nice hotel. you will like it. email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 07:46 AM
hans

Stay at the Kiluaea Lodge, hike across Kiuaea Iki early in the morning, spend some time in Waimea, drive up to Hawi and hike into Pololu Valley, eat at Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae, visit the City of Refuge in South Kona and the Hulihee Palace in Kailua and buy "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" by Doughty.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Debi

2 additional pieces of information: Waipio Valley was one of my favorite excursions on the BI. Also, for a romantic dinner - dinner at the Orchid Resort - it was wonderful.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Maria

I have been doing a little more research and think that I will make a couple adjustments to our plans as follows:

1. I think renting a 4 WD vehicle would be the best as it will get us to more places (the Waipio Valley especially) that a regular rental car won't.

2. Also, I think since there are so many things on the Hilo side we will fly in and out of the Hilo airport since that is closer to the volcano access at the beginning of the trip also.

3. Any other ideas for "must sees" on the Hilo side? I have heard that the city of Hilo itself has some things worth seeing, especially the gardens!

Thanks again for all the thoughts. Kim, I may take you up on your suggestion to write directly after sorting through a few more things.

Fodorites are always so helpful for making the most of a trip!

Maria

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:39 AM
dcp

We stayed at the Hapuna Prince two summers ago and love it! For snorkeling, I would recommed the Fairwind Cruise out of Kona to the Capt. Cook Memorial (Keakakua sp? Bay). My daughter actually enjoyed this more than the "swim w/ the dolphins" experience on the BI. The Fairwinds has a website www.fairwind or fairwinds.com. Enjoy!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Maria

topping for Sarah!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:54 AM
JMM

If you like historical sights - go to the Place of Refuge - Pu'uo Honaunau (sp?) Good snorkeling next to it. It is well sign posted from the Kona highway.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Mary

Consider a B& B in Hilo. The Shipman House is a great one and the location would allow an easy trip up to the Volcano as well as easy access to the Hamakua coast and Waipio. (We've stayed in Volcano and loved it is a long drive to Waipio from there.)

Re: Four-wheel-drive and Waipio. I would NEVER recommend driving into the valley in a 4-wheel-drive and don't think that car rental contracts allow it anyway. Waipio is spectacular and well worth a visit but let someone else do the driving or walk it. The incline and the road itself is realllllly steep and scarey.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:59 PM
tracey

Just a reminder, keep in mind that Kohala is beautiful and remote, but it is remote. As a result dining options are limited to very expensive restaurants. While the quality is outstanding,it is helpful to know that you may want to plan your days so that you are eating outside of your hotel.

I know there have been numerous posts about this before. I am not complaining or whining about the prices. I absolutely loved staying in Kohala but I would have liked to have known how pricey it would be to eat there in advance.

Enjoy your wonderful trip!