Reload this Page >

8 days, how many in RI/Cape Cod

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:20 AM
jo

We are coming to New England for the first week in June, we want to visit Cape Cod but also Rhode Island. How many days do you suggest for each. we consists of 2 adults and 2 children aged 9 & 7. we like beaches, shops anything that is family friendly, also any family places to stay.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Joanne

Hi, Jo, welcome to New England!

First, you should know that in early June, the beaches will be too cold for swimming. Nevertheless, the Cape Cod National Seashore is a wonderful place.

It's hard to recommend how you should allocate your time without knowing more about your interests and other plans. You could easily spend an entire week or more in either Cape Cod or Rhode Island. What is it about Rhode Island that interests you -- the mansions in Newport?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:31 AM
jo

I have always wanted to visit Boston and Cape Cod, so they are a must.
I have also been reading about Rhode Island, so thought it would be nice to combine this aswell. Although I'm wondering if it's perhaps more of young adults without children type of place. Maybe we ought to spend more time in Boston and on Cape Cod. What do you think?
I'm hoping the weather will be nice, so that we can enjoy the beaches even if it's too cold to swim.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Joanne

Well, you still haven't said what exactly it is about Rhode Island that interests you, so I'd recommend that you spend half your time in Boston and half on the Cape. There will be plenty to do in those places to keep you busy for a week!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:09 AM
bennie

If you do go to RI check out Narragansett, Watch Hill, Block Island. Its really nice there - very quiet but nice beaches. Newport is a must see.

If you go to the Cape go as far down the Cape as you can. Its nicer in Wellfleet, Brewster, Chatham and Orleans than it is in Hyannis and Yarmouth. Or stay up in Falmouth and Sandwich. Falmouth Harbor is nice to walk around, Woods Hole has the Oceanigraphic Institute. Sandwich has the glass museum and the Heritage Museum (that's not its name but I'm having a mental block). It has a beautiful display of rhododendrans, an antique car museum, military history, antique carousel, beautiful gardens. Enough for kids and adults to enjoy. Since its a little early for the Cape you might get some deals on hotels.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Rachel

You will have more than enuf to do in Boston and Cape Cod. I would save Rhode Island for another time. The water will be too cold to swim in in Cape Cod and Rhode Island, but you can play on the beaches. Provincetown (in Cape Cod) is fun to visit if you are open-minded. It is a haven for gay people. Great shops, restaurants, whale watching boats. Our family enjoyed it, but others feel it is not appropriate for children. Closer to Boston, you can go to Plymouth to see the Plymouth Rock and there is a replica of the Mayflower with actors playing roles (last time we were there was 8 years ago so maybe you need to check), but it's great for kids. also Plymouth Plantation which is a restored village from way back when. Also, the cranberry bogs are interesting, although I think in may, it's not exactly cranberry season. South RI has wonderful beaches, much better than Newport. Newport is nice, but more for adults. The Cliff walk is pretty, but frankly, sort of scary to watch your children walk on. The mansions are lovely, but not really fun for kids. This is a better place to go without kids or when they are older and can appreciate it.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 08:44 AM
DougD

Although there are some very nice beaches in RI, I would reccommend the Cape as more of a fun place with kids. Don't miss the bird sanctuary in North Eastham, which is thousands of acres of unspoiled bay beaches, marsh, and woods. A wonderful place to let kids wander in the flats at low tide, and hunt for fiddler crabs, shells, etc. The water will still be quite cold though!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:21 PM
jo

Just a quick Thank-you for the replies, my thoughts have been confirmed and we've decided to stay at Cape Cod, just taking our time seeing the place without rushing to see as much as we originally planned.