8 day RV itnerary help

Search

8 day RV itnerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 day RV itnerary help

We are arriving in Anchorage on Aug. 11 and departing from Seward on the evening of Aug. 19. We plan to rent an RV and this is the proposed itinerary. We would appreciate any comments.

Day 1 - August 11th - Arrive and get RV by 3 pm. Spend night in Anchorage – See one or more of following:
Museum of History and Art
Alaska Native Heritage Center
Walk coastal trail

Day 2 – August 12th – Sunday
Drive to Portage – about 50 miles/2 hrs (Anchorage to Portage)
Take Portage Glacier cruise
Beggich-Boggs Visitor Center

Drive to Seward – about 80 miles (Portage to Seward)
(sewardak.org)
Silver Salmon Derby August 11th – 19th
Sealife Center 8am – 7pm (alaskasealife.org)

Possible Activites:
Alaska SeaLife Center
Exit Glacier at Kenai Fjords National Park
Iditarod trail
Seavey’s Iditarod Racing Kennel – sled dog ride

Day 3 – August 13th – Monday
Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise

Drive to Cooper Landing – about 50 miles/2 hrs (Seward to Cooper Landing)
(cooperlandingchamber.com)

Day 4 - August 14th – Tuesday
There are options at both below companies to do ½ or full day fishing and/or ½ or full day scenic boat tours, depending on what people are interested in – need to double check on which type of fish you can expect to catch on which type of trip:

Alaska River Adventures (alaskariveradventures.com) - Scenic floats on the Upper Kenai

Or -- Drive to Soldotna – about 50 miles/2 hrs (Cooper Landing to Soldotna)
Kenai National Wildlife Refuge
More Fishing Options
Hike? (http://kenai.fws.gov/visit.htm)
(http://www.wilderness.org/library/ma...reg-alaska.cfm)

Day 5 - August 15th – Wednesday
Drive to Girdwood – about 64 miles/2.75 hrs (Cooper Landing to Girdwood)
Mt. Alyeska Tram (alyeskaresort.com) 10:30am – 5:30pm hiking, exploring, paragliding, and even hike on a glacier

Drive to Palmer – about 80 miles/1.5 hrs (Girdwood to Palmer)
Musk Ox Farm in Palmer http://www.muskoxfarm.org/
RV park in Palmer (alaskacampgrounds.net) Mt. View or other

Day 6 - August 16th – Thursday
Drive to Talkeetna – about 84 miles/2 hours (Palmer to Talkeetna)
Flightseeing

Drive to Denali – about 151 miles/3? Hrs (Talkeetna to Denali)
Cabin Nite Dinner Theater at Denali Park Resorts' McKinley Chalet Resort - two shows nightly: 5:30 & 8:30p.m.
(denaliparkresorts.com)

Day 7 - August 17th – Friday
Day in Denali, possible activities are:
whitewater rafting
hiking
Bus to interior

Day 8 - August 18th – Saturday
Drive to Anchorage – about 236 miles/5.5? Hrs
Anchorage activity possible (see Day #1 for list)
Return of RV

Day 9 - August 19th - Sunday
6:45 am take train from Anchorage, arrive Seward about 11:30 am
Alaska Railroad Coastal Classic

Exit Glacier tour (10-15 minute drive from Seward)
3:00pm Exit Glacier tour – about 2 hours

8pm cruise ship departs from Seward

Thanks
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Your itinerary is doable, however, IMO, it is hard to do justice to both the Kenai Peninsula and the Denali NP area in such a short time. If it were me, I would eliminate the Palmer/Denali/Talkeetna leg and save that for aanother trip. I would also spend very little time in Cooper Landing and Soldotna. Not that they are not worthwhile but Seward and Homer are even more so. I'd split my time fairly evenly brtween Seward and Homer.

If you do make those changes, I'd also make a stop at the Wild Animal refuge near Girdwood.

These ideas are my personal preferences based on several trips into all the areas you mentioned. I'm sure others will have different ideas.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Most RV rentals require an am return, so verify your day return of evening? I would consoldate more with your locations, I would go either to Palmer or Talkeetna, not an overnight at each.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 01:17 PM

I also think you are doing too much, but I would not encourage you to drop off Denali. It is simply stunning and unlike anything you'll see in the lower 48. That is, unless you know you will make it to Denali someday. I would rather skip the scenic tour of the Kenai River than Denali, or Palmer, or Girdwood. Denali IS Alaska. I do think you should do Seward & Portage Glacier area (because Portage is pretty quick but really cool). JMHO.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM

We did a three week RV, without a cruise ship link.

Definitely do the things planned in Anchorage. (You may be pressed for time and want another day there..I think all three of your lists are definitely worthwhile.)

When we were there Anchorage RV Park was just across the road from the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Unfortunately this lovely park-like tree studded piece of real estate with a lodge has recently been sold for development purposes, so I can't recommend a place to park your RV, except for Shipcreek Landing, which isn't exactly aesthetic, but you can walk into town from there. You can find other RV parks near Anchorage...but check how far out they are. you don't want, necessarily to have to drive into town and try to park the RV in the city, depending upon how large it is. We were doing a small 21 footer.

You probably know that you can park your rig on the beach in Seward. It is city run and has hookups, as I remember, and also showers. A minimal cost, as I remember.

Definitely take the Kenai Fjords cruise. The one which includes a salmon bake lunch on an island, whose name I have forgotten. It lasts for several hours.

You have been advised to skip the Palmer /musk ox trip. You are there in August, which is the Alaska State Fair, I assume you knew that. Don't miss that. You are in Alasksa and this is local culture. Find the giant vegetables. Go to the 4H judging and watch the kids showing their livestock. This is non-touristy Alaska.

And as long as you are in the vicinity, do visit the musk ox farm. It, and the history of how these critters got there, is fascinating. Also, they sell very expensive smoke rings, caps, shawls, etc. made from the combings of the underhairs of the beasts. These are then sent to Peru to be woven into yarn, which is returned and crocheted into marvelous patterns by the indigenous women, who have a coop. Your purchase will have a card with the name of the woman who fasioned it for you.

In my opinion, the fishing, the paragliding and the hiking on a glacier, would be fun, except for the fact that you are trying to do this all in 8 days.

Cut out some of that stuff. This is a really big state.

Don't skimp on Denali. Make reservations ahead of time for one of the campgrounds. We stayed at Riley Creek, which is walking distance from the Visitor Center and the dog mushing exhibitions. Take one of the park shuttles, not a tour, and go out as far as they take you. You will see wildlife and, if the mountain is "out" a spectacular visual experience. You can stop at the visitor center wherever and take the shuttle back, or wait for the next.

Anyway....for the distances and the activities you want, I think you are overextended. Alaska deserves a closer look.

Go fishing off the coast of Seattle...we caught great salmon there. <grin>

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help.
We are going to eliminate Cooper Landing and adjust our schedule one way or the other.
I checked with Great Alaskan Holidays re: the RV rental and we can check it back in on the late afternoon of the 18th and still stay in it that night at the RV office site--they will call us a taxi to get to the train early on the 19th. Angie at the RV office was super nice. We have train tickets reserved and the Summit flight reserved so we are making progress. Thanks.