Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

7+ hour layover in Seattle.. what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I have a 7 hour layover in Seattle on a Saturday (10AM-6PM) next month and we would love to explore the city with what little time we have. I know we will probably be tired, but we still want to take advantage of seeing a new city.
Any idea what we can do? I would love to see downtown Seattle, Pike's Place Market, and especially the Space Needle. Is this feasible? Our luggage will carry through, so we only have to worry about our carry on bag.
I'm not at all familiar with the area. Will I have enough time? Is there a train system or will we have to take a cab? We're both comfortable with navigating cities and using subways, as we live very near Boston.
Thanks for all suggestions. I cannot wait to see beautiful Seattle (it's on my bucket list)
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, there's a light rail station on the opposite side of the main parking garage from the terminal, around a 10-min walk at most. From there the trains run every 10-15 min. and take around 40 min. to get to the Westlake station in the middle of downtown. $3 each way.

From Westlake you can walk around four blocks to the Pike Place market, or from the Westlake Center building (above the light rail station) you can take the old monorail to Seattle Center. The Space Needle is basically next to the monorail station, as is the Chihuly art glass museum and gardens.

You'll want to be back at the airport by 4 in order to re-clear security, so that will give you roughly 4 hours in the downtown area, enough for lunch and some exploring at the market, maybe a ride up the Space Needle (rather expensive) or, if you want, after the Pike Place market you can walk downhill to the Pioneer Square historic district - lots of cool architecture - and take the train back to the airport from the Pioneer Square or International District stations.

http://m.soundtransit.org/schedules
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Absolutely take the light rail -- it is so easy (and cheap) an you have enough time to see the places Gardyloo suggests. I'd probably just plan on Pikes Place and lunch and not try to cram in too much. If the weather is gorgeous - then maybe the Space Needle instead for the views. But really the market and the waterside and a nice lunch would be great.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
They will let you catch a fish at the Pike Place Market.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ashington.html
Have a great time. I think you'll be back for a longer visit someday.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:37 AM

janisj: There is no "Pike's Place Market." It is properly identified in the other posts.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I know. it was typo - so sue me . . .
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 04:15 PM

There is no "Pike's Place Market."

A nitpicker is on the prowl.

nit·pick·ing: looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily. Fussy fault-finding.

HTtY
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 05:21 PM

You would have enough time to do Pike Place Market, lunch, and then ride the monorail to Seattle center and back. That way you could see the exterior of Emp and space needle (which is really the best part as going up the needle is expensive). monorail is fun and unique to Seattle; built at the same time as the Space Needle, I believe.

Alternatively, if you don't want to spend money/time riding the monorail, the international district is convenient and fun, especially if you have any interest in the Uwajimaya supermarket and its bookstore.