7 hour layover at JFK-what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 7 hour layover in JFK from our flight from Phoenix to Manchester, UK. Luckily, one of my oldest friends lives in Manhattan, so we have resources for assistance. Unfortunately, he's a lousy judge of time and traffic and an even worse tour guide. I grew up on Long Island, and fully recognize the risk of hitting traffic and not making it back to JFK in time for our flight. suggestions, please? My friend is willing to rent a car, and my husband has never been to NYC, so we're pretty open to options - except missing our outbound flight to Manchester, that is!
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:45 AM

7 hours is tough. Will your luggage be checked through or will you have to store it? It may take up to an hour to be ready to leave JFK, especially if you must deal with your luggage. And estimate 30-60 minutes to reach Manhattan by fastest method. And I'd want to be on the road back to JFK no later than 3 hours before my departure time. So that leaves 2-2.5 hours to visit Manhattan.

I'd grab an express bus to Grand Central Station. I'd walk through the station, then up west on 42nd St to glance at the Library. Then north on Fifth Ave to Rockefeller Center and make a quick visit to Top of the Rock. From there walk over to Times Square, walk south through the square and then west of 42nd St to the Port Authorirty Bus Terminal, where you can catch another express bus back to JFK. This would fill your time without much dawdling.
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Of course, with a car this can be done a bit more efficiently, but not by that much. I suspect a bus or cab driver would have a better grasp on how to deal with the JFK traffic than someone who doesn't drive there regularly.

You did not say if you had any particular "musts"--for example, the Statue of Liberty is in an entirely different part of town and attempting to get a view of it would change this plan dramatically.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM

The fastest (and cheapest) method of reaching Manhattan is to take the combo of Airtrain and Long Island Railroad to Penn Station. Save 45 minutes for that each way. Once in Manhattan, that will leave you with a little more than 2 hours to have a bite to eat and chat with your friend. To maximize your time, limit yourself to doing one thing. I'd suggest a late lunch or early dinner at Rockefeller Center or the Modern (Bar Room). Then take a quick trip up to Top of the Rock for the view (buy your timed ticket BEFORE you eat), and head back to the airport. I think you can do that during a short time on the ground in Manhattan.

Frankly, having your friend rent a car is madness. It could take twice as long to do the trip by car as by train on a busy day, and he might get lost if he never drives. Or you could have him meet you someplace other than Manhattan. There are possibilities that I could suggest, but I think coming into Manhattan sounds more fun.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM

I really don;t think you have time to do any sightseeing in the few hours you have.

What is the on time record of your flight? Many times at JFK you'll be substantially late.

Then you have to deal with luggage.

If your friend has/rents a car you would have time to leave the airport and go somewhere in Queens for a decent meal. But with a 7 hour window ad arriving back at the airport in time (Min 2 hours before flight) plus an hour each way to and fro - the most time you would have in Manhattan is 2 hours. Not really time to see anything.

And bad weather or an accident you leave you running for your flight.
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Your best bet between these flights might be - just a really good meal - since you will not get that on any of the flights. I suggest taking a taxi out of JFK to Don Pepe at 135-58 Lefferts Blvd -- about 15 minutes from JFK - and you'll have a great Italian meal. Locals flock there. You can call them at 718 845 7587 to make sure they can call you a car service to get you back to the airport.