Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

7 days on the Big Island -where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2023, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be spending 7 days on the Big Island in late April. Our plans are to spend our time exploring the island by car. Looking to stay in a mid-priced condo or AirBnb in scenic setting away from any crowded resort environment. Pool and resort amenities not needed nor is fine dining or nightlife. How would you advice dividing our stay between East and West sides? Which towns/areas. Any specific condo or other lodging recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 04:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Check out the Destination Forums for the different Hawaiian islands on Trip Advisor (different from the reviews section). It is very active.

Sorry no replies here...
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 08:33 PM

I would spend 3 nights somewhere on the east side of the island to explore that coast and also have 1 full day for VNP. Take a look at the options on VRBO. There will be quite a bit of driving involved but the area is scenic. Or you could spend a couple nights in Volcano Village. I personally prefer the Kohala coast area of the big island for the beaches and resorts, but if you don't want resort atmosphere you'll pretty much have to base yourself in Kona. Kona has many smaller condos that are oceanfront. Maybe a place like Sea Village?
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 10:56 PM

Just be aware that Kilauea had paused since early March, so there probably will not be any reason to stay at Volcano Village.

I stayed at the Dolphin Bay Hotel in Hilo for most of my stay. Definitely not in a "crowded resort environment". Comes with a kitchen despite being a hotel.

Not a fan of the big time share resorts such as Waikaloa but look farther north as garyw suggested, if you can afford it!

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 1st, 2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

5 nights Waimea/ 2nights volcano village/i night Kona

Thanks for all the help and advice. We've booked an AirBnB near Waimea 5 miles from the beach, 2 nights in Volcano Village and last night near the airport.