Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

7 days left, should I hit Bryce or Rocky Mt. Nat. Pk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted a similiar question before and I'm hoping for more guidance here. I'll be in Jackson Hole with 6 nights left to get back to MI. So, do I take a 10hr ride to Bryce, spend that night plus 1 more at Bryce and head home via Hwy 12 with a pass-by through Capital Reef and spend the night by Moab. Take part of the day to see Arches, then hit the trail back home. OR, do I leave Jackson Hole, spend 1 night at RNP as I get there, do the next day up Trail Ridge road, maybe see something else, spend the night and then truck home (maybe get home a day early). What do you think. I'm pretty sure I wont' get this way again with my kids. I hate to see them miss Bryce but will they really miss it after Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and if I do the Rocky's??? Please help! Thanks (by the way, this will be in late July and we are towing a vehicle to get around vs the "big rig".
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Which do you want? A spectacular drive high in the mountains that is without peer in the US, or a spectacular drive over and visit to a landscape that features varied Jurassic and Cretacious rock formations of infinite color and variety?

I like them both and have done both. If I had to pick, I am not sure. I think my choice would be depend on how recently I had been to Switzerland.

However, in April I went to Capital Reef from SLC on a day trip.

So, I cannot give you an answer.

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

I know, it's not easy is it? I know it will add somewhere between 300- 500 miles to my trip but is Bryce worth it? Am I seeing much differnce between the RMNP and the Grand Tetons? Plus there's Zion, another 2.5 hr drive from Bryce, probably 110F. I was willing to give up on this one. Anyway, any more feedback is appreciated.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else have more advice?
Thanks,
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Deckema, I hit 8 western NP in one trip a few years ago, and Arches was my favorite closely followed by Grand Tetons. RMNP and Zion were at the bottom of my list. They are beautiful places but IMHO they are no match to the breathtaking beauty of Arches and Grand Tetons.

I unfortunately have not been to Bryce but my husband has been about 4 times because it's his favorite park, he says it's unlike any other.

So if I had to pick, I would skip RMNP and hit Bryce or Arches. HTH.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Trail Ridge Road is different because you reach an elevation of 12,000 feet which is well up relative to the surrounding peaks.
You get an entirely different perspective of the whole range by being up that high.

For that reason, I don't think the comparison holds 100%. Unless you climb up the side of one of the peaks in the Tetons, you would not get the same perspective.

Now Bryce is another story. As you know it is all together different. Different geology, different look.

I would view it like this:
The combination of Bryce, Utah 12 and its landscape, Capital Reef, and perhaps part of Arches would be a totally different experience than the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Yellostone showed them a collapsed gigantic volcanic caldera.

The Tetons showed them a fantastic example of a young block fault that shoved up a mountain range.

The combination of Bryce and Capital Reef would complete the picture:
Sandstone, shale, and limestone deposits that fill in a huge gap of the geologic history of the West.

Capital Reef is to me fascinating because it is the result not only of marine deposits, but also the sinking of huge deserts under the sea as the North American place was shoved around by tectonic forces. Part of the time the land around Capital Reef was under water and the beautiful Chinle and Moenkopi formations were deposited. Then the land rose and the tectonic plate was near the equator and subject to dry, highly arid conditions which resulted in the fasntastic desert that became the Navajo Sandstone and the Wingate Sandstone. Then the land sunk again to be covered with water.

Then, the North American Plate hit another plate that added Nevada and California. The Colorado Plateau was uplifted to its present position and erosion has done the rest.

I think if you can tie in the 3 geological events that you and your family will be seeing, you will get not only a rich visit to beautiful scenery, but their understanding of the forces that shape the landscape in front of them will enhance their scientific education.

So which would I do? Not sure.
You said you were going to Yellowstone.
Take half a day and drive to the summit of the Beartooth Pass by exiting the northeast entrance of Yellowstone.
That will give you a great substitute for Trail Ridge. Not quite the same, but nice in its own way.

Then do the run to Bryce. It is my favorite of the canyon parks. Why?
I feel like I can encompass it. The GC is to huge and so vast, I feel somewhat overwhelmed. Bryce and Capital Reef both leave me with the feeling that I can get to know this park without being stressed physically to see it.

I still think that the beautiful reds of the Moenkopi formation are the most beautiful natural colors I have seen.

Also, the major formation that builds cliffs in Zion is the Navajo Sandstone. You will see it outcropped along much of route 12, and in Capital Reef, you will walk through it if you take even a brief hike into the Grand Wash.

So to get the variety, and the contrast, I guess I have talked myself into being infavor of Bryce, utah 12, and Capital Reef.

I just did Capital Reef in April. It was my 4th visit, and it left me wanting just one more visit.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM

After Yellowstone and Tetons, I think your kids would like Bryce. RMNP is gorgeous, Trail Ridge Road a very scenic drive, but not that different from YS and GT. We've never been to Capital Reef or Arches but have been to Bryce and Zion. Bryce is so different and trails doable for kids (don't know their ages but ours were young). Have a great time!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Great feedback...THANKS. This is my plan. On July 30th (am) with my wife and 3 kids (13,12,11) to take a long days travel in the RV, pulling a Yukon, and try to get as far as Mitchell SD. Next day tour the Badlands and go to Mt.Rushmore (maybe even Jewel Cave or Wind Cave). Next day make it to our campsite in Flaff Ranch (south side of the Yellowstone entrance). Spend 4 nights here between Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, and a white water raft on the Snake River. (That's 7 nights so far). Get past Salt Lake City (spend the night) get to Bryce by noon next day. Spend the rest of this and the next day at Bryce. (9 now). Head back home via Hwy 12, stop and go's through Capital Reef and spend the night at Green River (or in Moab) (10). Next day spend "most" of the day in Arches and then travel as far back as Denver. Then (2) 8 to 10 hour days back to Zeeland MI. That's 13 nights, man I'm already tired (the trip back will seem long but with what were going to see, I think worth it). Any other thoughts, must see's places to stay etc? Thanks again.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I just came back from Bryce and Zion.

The Zion trails would concern me a bit with kids.

Bryce trails are wider and not really as close to the edge.

They could easil hike the Navajo Loop down and Queens Garden back up. If they're up for a longer few hours you can put the Peek-A-Boo loop in between.

Just be aware that Bryce is well over 8,000 feet up and getting winded could be an issue. Just take it easy, rest often and drink lots of water.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I think you have a good plan. A bit rushed, but no boredom.

As for CapitOl Reef, I cannot believe I made that silly mistake. I sound like a rookie! The dooms and whatnot of the eroded sandstone caused the early Mormon settlers to think of the capitol building and its dome.

So it is o not a!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM

Have you ever driven almost 800 miles in one day in a motorhome? Will your wife be driving too? As someone who's had a motorhome for the last 14 years, that is one very, very, very long haul!

I also think that your plan for traveling 515 miles from Rapid City to Flagg Ranch is very ambitious. The second half of those miles will be much slower mountain driving. You can also expect delays if you enter the East Entrance (via Cody, WY) because of road construction. (BTW, this road is closed nightly at 8 P.M. near Sylivan Pass) http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Four nights = 3 days and if you do the white water rapid trip, you are only looking at 2 1/2 days. In all honesty, I'd spend all the time you have at Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and add a day or two to your drive in each direction. There is a lot more to Yellowstone than just Old Faithful.

I've been to all the parks you ask about, and they are all worthy of your time, but you really will be spending the majority of your time traveling between them instead of seeing them if you try to do all you plan.

Trust me, your wife and kids will thank you if you don't attempt the trip as you have it planned.

Utahtea
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Where will you stay the second night? If you stay at Badlands NP or even closer to Mt. Rushmore you could see Mt. Rushmore drive to Wind Cave NP do a cave tour. Drive back thru Custer State Park and get to Devil's Tower to camp. That would give you an easier drive to Yellowsone NP the next day.

I have to agree with others that your 1st drive will be tough. I drove from Joliet to Sioux Falls last year in 9 hours in a van not a camper with a tow.

As to Bryce vs RMNP. I think Bryce is overrated. My kids (10,10,7) loved The Narrows hike at Zion, it takes about half a day.

2005 RMNP
2006 Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Theo. Roosevelt
2007 Colorado NM, Arches, Cayonlands, Natural Bridges, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

So sometimes less is more. Still with seeing the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore, and spending the night around there, should I plan it will take me 1.5 days to get to Flagg Ranch? (3mi south of the south entrance to Yellowstone). Where would you recommend I stay before the night of arrival, or just pull over in a rest area somewhere? With construction through Cody, is it better (maybe better anyway, Google maps keeps telling me to go this way) and that's to go 18 S from Mt Rushmore to 26W to 89N to Flagg? Is this just as fast, safer? If I get there in the afternoon, I might just relax around the Tetons that day. Even though my RV is stuck at Flagg, would you recommend booking a cabin for 1 night, say at Mammoth, to avoid the back and forth travel? Plan now would be 3 full days in Yellowstone, 1.5 days in Tetons/Jackson Hole. If I head back home now, how do you recommend going back (through RMNP and spending a couple days there)? Then a couple long days riding back to MI. Well let me know what you all think. I really do appreciate all your inputs. Thanks a ton!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Jackson Hole & 6 days to MI.
10 hr drive to Byrce?

I agree with bee_man. My extended family of 15, children ages 12-23 and 5 adults, hands down, loved Zion primiarly because we are hikers and LOVED Narrows and Angels Landing. But yes, July will be h-o-t. Also, the farther you go into the Narrows, the crowds dissappear, and bring a tube to float where you can. (note: Angels Landing had 2 deaths June 2007; my youngest was 12 when he did AL.)

My oldest, 19 yrs, went through Yellowstone early June 2007, and said it was crowded and he couldn't wait to leave. He did however see 6 bear from his vehicle, compared to me and my middle son who in June 2006 hiked 30+ miles in Y and never saw a bear. By the end of July a lot of the wildlife will have headed for higher ground.

I agree with bob_brown that maybe Beartooth Pass in WY & MT could be a substitute for Trail Ridge Road because they are similar.

Like Utahtea, we also have been to all the desitinations you mentioned and they are all worthy sites. Everyone should see Bryce and Capital Reef once. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you see, it's who you see it with.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 02:02 AM

Your new plan sounds much better. Rocky Mountain NP, is not that far out of your way for going home...and then you won't have to double back on the same route.

I'm not following what roads you are taking to get from Mt. Rushmore to Flagg Ranch. Won't you be taking I-90 for most of the drive though Wyoming?

Both Hwy 16 and 14 will be slow driving. If you want to avoid Cody, then I would take 14 and then head south, then take Hwy 26 into the Tetons.

Devils Tower National Monument is a great stop after Mt. Rushmore.

Utahtea
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea, thanks for the feedback. Actually have a futher update, I'm driving 8hrs first day, another 8 to get near the Badlands. Spend the day around the Badlands,Mt.Rushmore,Jewel Cave, then hit the trail again and maybe hit Devil's Tower and be no further than 8 hrs from Yellowstone. I've changed my itenary from Flagg Ranch to Grizzly RV Park (they have awesome reviews). I'm still there for only 3 nights, but even after I check out, we can see things on our way down to Jackson Hole, where I booked the Virginia RV park. Spend I day in Jackson, doing the Alpine slide and anything else we can do, then doing the next day white water rafting. Remain that night as well then head back. I think at this point we'll have a good idea of coming back and seeing RMNP or if the family is up to it and the drive, go see Bryce for a day and come back via Hwy 12 through Capitol Reef, Arches, etc and drive right through Colorado. Were going to play this out and see what were up for at the time of leaving Jackson Hole. How's that sound to you???? Thanks Mark
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM

I would skip Bryce altogether and go to Arches -- this park is fantastic. Moab has much more to offer that towns near Bryce -- has great easy short trails, rafting, jeep tours etc.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM

I see that Grizzly RV Park is in West Yellowstone. IMHO, that's a better base location for seeing Yellowstone.

It's probably a good idea to get a feeling for how well the family is traveling before attempting Bryce.

Good Luck and you have to come back and tell us how the trip went!

Utahtea