7 Days' Free Range New England--Ideas?

Old Mar 28th, 1997, 12:41 AM
Steve

7 Days' Free Range New England--Ideas?

Married couple, 40's, enjoy comfortable accommodation, good food, sightseeing/some
shopping travelling to New England in May for one week "drive it yourself" holiday. Any tried and proven itineraries, hotels/motels, etc. out there?

Old Mar 28th, 1997, 12:02 PM
Neal Sanders

For dining, be sure to make one of your evenings at the Blue Strawbery on Ceres St. in Portsmouth, NH. Wonderfully inventive, eclectic food for adults. Ditto Al Forno (Italian, with many dishes prepared in the oven, as the name implies). The best place for lobster is Tilly's Lobster Shack at Cape Porpoise, Kennebunckport, ME. An open-air stand where they cook and sell lobster "culls." Be sure to pick up a bottle of wine or champagne at the bottle store at the Cape Porpoise turnoff from Route 9. Boston is rife with good restaurants, pull up the reviews from the Boston Globe (boston.com). My personal favorite is Sunday Brunch at the Meridien's Cafe Fleuri. One of the most stunning art collections outside of a major city is at the Sterling and Frances Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, MA. The Clarks collected superb European art when it was out of fashion. Their French impressionist collection is world class, but far broader than just that category. As for roads less traveled, get a good AAA map and set off for the grey highways of western Massachusetts and northwestern Connecticut. When you get to Litchfield, CT, ask the way to White Flower Farms, a commercial nursery that also runs the most breathtaking set of display gardens in New England. I've almost scratched the surface with this list, feel free to write if you want more suggestions.

Old Apr 6th, 1997, 04:39 PM
Donna

Concur with all of Neal's suggestions. Would add the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Ma which is a beautiful New England Town. A drive through either the White Mountains of New Hampshire or the Green Mountains of Vermont would be breathtaking. The Coast of Maine has many wonderful beautiful towns to visit. In addition to Kennebunkport (you may run into George and Barbara Bush at Tilly's!) there are York Harbor, Ogunquit, Freeport (home of L. L. Bean) Boothbay Harbor, Camden, and lots more. The seaport cities in MA are also terrific: Salem, Newburyport, Rockport. Best shopping is in North Conway (located in the White Mountains) at the dozens of outlets. No sales tax in NH!

Old Apr 7th, 1997, 08:21 PM
Denise LeClerc & James Patterson

Steve-I'm a New Englander living in Colorado thanks to the U.S. Army. Since you didn't mention specific states, I'll hit the high points. Must see Mystic, CT. One of the most charming New England towns with much to do-recommend going to Mystic Seaport, then stopping at The Captain Daniel Packer Inn for lunch or dinner. Recommend stayiing at the Inn at Mystic for excellent lodging. Many side trips from Mystic are available, such as Essex, Groton & the Submarine base, Old Saybrook, etc. In Vermont, I would recommed Stowe or Manchester Village. Both are typical New England towns with wonderful Bed & Breakfasts and much shopping & sightseeing, along with outdoor activities, to do. In Massachusetts, stop in Boston for the day. Have dinner at the Chart House, which is next to the Aquarium, but I must recommend staying outside of the city because of very high hotel rates. Moving on to Maine, highly recommed a pilgrimmage to Freeport and L.L. Bean. Fantastic place to stay in Freeport is the Harraseeket Inn-an outstanding Inn with gorgeous rooms and a fantastic breakfast (a very classy place). Once again, many sidetrips are possible from Freeport. If you have any questions about destinations (especially Connecticut), feel free to email me. Hope I was able to help. Denise

Old Apr 7th, 1997, 08:25 PM
Denise LeClerc & James Patterson

Forgot to mention Newport, RI. Another must see on your New England trip. Lots of things to do-the mansions, Tennis Hall of Fame, shopping, beaches, etc. Recommed the Black Pearl for lunch or dinner-has award-winning clam chowder. Denise