Search

7 Day Trip to Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2023, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 Day Trip to Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos

Hello,
We are planning a 7 day trip to Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos in mid-May of next year. Right now, I'm planning on 2 or 2.5 days in Albuquerque, 2.5 days in Santa Fe and 2 days (1 night) in Taos. We are flying in/out of ABQ. I have seen many varying reviews of ABQ (dirty, crime ridden, don't waste your time and more) so I would like to know if this is valid. We get the same "bad press" about the city I'm from and yet it really is not. What do you recommend to see/do in ABQ besides Old Town? Or should we skip it and go straight to Santa Fe? We like interesting museums, great food, and walking and exploring a city. I'm also thinking about making a reservation for a hot air balloon ride.

Thanks for your help!

Old Oct 1st, 2023, 11:12 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We enjoyed the Hot Air Balloon museum.

https://balloonmuseum.com/
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 01:02 PM

Old Town. Old Town with its historic Plaza features the 1706 San Felipe de Neri church and 300-year-old adobe homes converted into art galleries and boutiques selling Native American pottery and jewelry. Nearby are the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and the Alb Museum of Art, History and Science which features ancient Spanish maps and Spanish conquistador armor and helmets. The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center shouldn’t be missed and is 10 minutes north.

Sandia Peak Tramway. The Sandia Peak Tramway takes you up 4,000 feet from the high desert floor to the lush mountaintop where there are fantastic views of the city and a restaurant. One can walk on trails through pine forests and on large boulders.

Rio Grande Nature Center has walking paths (no bicycles) through cottonwood trees along the river. Across the river is the Petroglyph National Monument. One can rent bikes at Routes Bicycle Rentals and bike along the river on the shady 16-mile Paseo del Bosque Trail.

UNM Museums. On the UNM campus are the art museum with Renaissance Italian paintings, Georgia O’Keeff pieces and Ansel Adams photos of nature plus the Maxwell Museum of Anthropology which features the People of the Southwest permanent exhibit which depicts 11,000 years of the cultural heritage of the American Southwest and features artifacts from Mimbres, Ancestral Puebloan, and Puebloan cultures.

New Mexico Cuisine. Be sure to eat traditional New Mexican food (different from TexMex) which includes green-chile stews, blue corn dishes, purple pinto beans, Chile rellenos, blue-corn enchiladas and Sopapillas. Check out Sadie’s of New Mexico.

Acoma: Sky City is about 1.5 hours west of Albuquerque. Built on a mesa rising 357’ above the valley floor, this is one of three oldest continuously inhabited settlements in the U.S. It is thought it was built c.1250 A.D. The tour takes you through the adobe/stone village where one can buy lovely Indian pottery from venders for little money. The 1629 San Esteban de Rey Mission Church has five-feet-thick walls and impressive religious paintings from that period. One can walk down the side of the mesa on a narrow footpath cut into the rock, but your leg muscles will ache after the experience. This is an enchanting sight and experience that should not be missed.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 02:40 PM

Hi, debtogo, my 2018 trip report to Santa Fe is getting dated but might be helpful for ideas. I will say, for a guided tour to Taos advance planning was required. I had trouble with the altitude.

Santa Fe Getaway 2018
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great list!
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your information and link to your report!
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

In doing further research and looking to simplify the trip, we have decided to make our home base in Santa Fe for the week. That way we can do day trips to ABQ and Taos as well as enjoy Santa Fe without the hassle of packing/unpacking. Looking forward to discovering this beautiful area!
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 09:55 AM

Good idea to base yourself in Santa Fe so you don't have to move. Places to see there are the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture, Museum of Spanish Colonial Art, Santa Fe Botanical Garden, Meow Wolf Museum, Tuseque Pueblo, Georgia O’Keeffe Museum and Museum of International Folk Art and Palace of the Governors. Recommended restaurants by posters on Fodor’s are El Shed (New Mexican cuisine), Geronimo’s (fine dining), Tomasita's and Paper Dosa (Indian).
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 10:06 AM

Drop a dy from Albuquerque and add it to Taos which has a couple of interesting museums as well as the pueblo.

and stop in Chimayo on the way

Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 10:36 AM

Yes Downtown ABQ isn't all that. Spent a few days there at a conference.

Maybe go to Petroglyph NM, spend one night in Albuquerque (near the airport is an option). Then head out.