Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Road Trip R&R Stop -Santa Fe? Albuquerque? Taos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2023, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning my first post-retirement road trip for next April. Starting with hiking in the Guadalupe Mountains NP, staying in Carlsbad NM and also visiting Carlsbad Canyon. We want to end the trip hiking in Palo Duro Canyon State Park in Amarillo TX.

I'm looking for a middle destination in NM for a few days break from hiking...well, maybe a bit of hiking, but more R&R, site seeing, antiquing, eating, wineries, etc. We were in Santa Fe many many years ago. We enjoyed it but aren't super into southwestern art.

Would Albuquerque be a terrible choice? Or would Taos be too small for 2-3 full days? Other ideas?
Old May 26th, 2023, 07:14 AM

I would pick Albuquerque. over Taos. It has more to see/do.

Old Town. The Old Town with its historic Plaza features the 1706 San Felipe de Neri church and 300-year-old adobe homes converted into art galleries and boutiques selling Native American pottery and jewelry. Nearby are the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and the Alb Museum of Art, History and Science which features ancient Spanish maps and Spanish conquistador armor and helmets.

Sandia Peak Tramway. It takes you up 4,000 feet from the high desert floor to the lush mountain where there are fantastic views of the city.(closed for maintenance for two weeks each April). The Rio Grande Nature Center has paths through cottonwood trees along the river. Across the river is the Petroglyph National Monument. The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center shouldn’t be missed.

Art on the High Desert. On the UNM campus are the art museum with Renaissance Italian paintings, Georgia O’Keeff pieces and Ansel Adams photos of nature plus the Maxwell Museum of Anthropology.

Acoma: Sky City is about 1.5 hours west of Albuquerque. Built on a mesa rising 357’ above the valley floor, this is one of three oldest continuously inhabited settlements in the U.S. It is thought it was built c.1250 A.D. The tour takes you through the adobe/stone village where one can buy lovely Indian pottery from venders for little money. The 1629 San Esteban de Rey Mission Church has five-feet-thick walls and impressive religious paintings from that period. One can walk down the side of the mesa on a narrow footpath cut into the rock, but your leg muscles will ache after the experience. This is an enchanting sight and experience that should not be missed.

New Mexican Food. Be sure to eat traditional New Mexican food (different from TexMex) which includes green-chile stews, blue corn dishes, purple pinto beans, Chile rellenos, blue-corn enchiladas and Sopapillas.
Old May 26th, 2023, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2023, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think Taos is too small, but depending on what you hoped to do there April might not be the best month.
Old May 26th, 2023, 10:04 AM

Prairie Hiker's information about Acoma Sky City is out of date. I believe the ancient site itself has been closed to in person tours since the pandemic. A recent TripAdvisor review confirms this. (It was wonderful when it was open).

https://acomaskycity.org/page/tours

From Guadalupe you could visit the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument (there are three units) on the way to Albuquerque. They're on the east side of the Manzanos. I also found the little town of Manzano worth a brief visit. Lots of close in hiking in the mountain ranges east of Albuquerque, eg Otero Trailhead is only about 30 minutes from downtown Albuquerque. New Mexico has a good tourism website in addition to the usual resources. (newmexico.org)
Old May 27th, 2023, 07:30 AM

We enjoyed both Taos and Albuquerque. The Taos Pueblo was fascinating, although is not always open to visitors.
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Jean, what is wrong with Taos in April? The timing of the trip is keyed to a good time to hike in Guadalupe Mountains National Park.
Old May 30th, 2023, 08:17 AM

Depending on how early in April... the weather. It can be really variable throughout the month, big swings in temperatures, and cloudy most days. This year, it snowed in downtown Taos one day at the end of the month, and temps were in the 70s both the day before and the day after it snowed. You have to be prepared for everything (which is easier to do on a driving trip) and flexible with plans.

Taos seems like a long detour for just 2-3 days... and the chance of iffy weather. Have you been to White Sands N.P.?

https://www.nps.gov/whsa/index.htm
Old May 30th, 2023, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

White Sands NP seems awfully....sandy...for me.
Old May 30th, 2023, 03:02 PM

There are other things to do in the area.....