50th Birthday! Where do I go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I want to go somewhere for my birthday in May. Approx. 1 week and not too expensive. Spa, Vegas (we're not gamblers) Europe?

Any suggestions/experiences?

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM

What do you like to do? It's very hard to make suggestions for someone without knowing something about what they enjoy.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Sorry, hit post too soon. Don't know what you consider "not too expensive". But, given the weak dollar, I'm guessing Europe is probably not what you're looking for.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sorry! We are from the East Coast. I know we don't want to go to an Island or Calif. I would like to see/ experience something different.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM

How about Montreal or Quebec city?
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:02 PM

What would be different? There aren’t that many other things to do in Vegas but gamble and go to a show or two. It seems like for most people Vegas is good for a day or two.
Do you plan on spending the whole week at spas?
What's your price range?
Do you love the desert?
Have you given any thought to Arizona? Sedona, Tucson? Grand Canyon?
May is a good time to see the Southwest before it gets too hot.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM

For a spa, Tucson and Scottsdale, AZ come to mind. Also Santa Fe, NM would be an option. Sedona, AZ is one more.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Hello cms, have you thought of Charleston, SC. It is a wonderful historical city and quite a great place for a "girls getaway".

It is difficult though to answer your question as you don't say what your interest is..city, mountains etc. Saying you want to experience something different..what have you experienced in the past and what are you thinking of for your May birthday?

Also, since you mentioned "not too expensive", can you give a ballpark figure as to what your budget is for your birthday week? A week in Paris would be lovely but not if you don't like big cities and if it would cost more than your budget would allow.

So more detais would help Fodorite's answer your question. Best regards.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You could do a package group tour to someplace in Europe?

Get a copy of Budget Travel magazine & read the "40 Best Deals" section they have each month. Europe is not especially cheap at the moment with the exchange rate being what it is, but since your traveling with your sister (double occupancy) some of the tours might be affordable for you. For example an 8-day Ireland Tour leaving NY for $1,535pp.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi it's Cms again!

I didn't give interests because I am basicially open to all suggestions.

We like mountains, cities,spas (I have been to Miraval) adventure, art, archetecture, dancing to roughing it (not camping). I have never been to Europe and would love to go to Italy but think maybe we should wait for the dollar to go further. I thought if we went to Vegas we would go to the Grand Canyon also.
Thanks for your help! I would appreciate any more info!
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I would agree with margy.... Quebec city is as close to Europe in feel as you can get... look online for a tour with planned activities as well as lots of free time to explore... Montreal is a good side trip.... and the key is "not too expensive"... happy B-day!
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM

My sister took me on a surprise trip to Las Vegas for my 50th birthday and it was one of the most fun trips I have ever had! She chose Las Vegas because neither of us had ever been there and it was the most unlikely place for either of us to go because we don't gamble. (OK, we each put 25 cents in the slot machine.) You could make this trip as inexpensive or expensive as you like. We stayed at a lower-priced hotel on the Strip (Excaliber, which was perfectly fine for what we needed--sleep and a pool). We had the best time walking up and down the Strip looking at people and enjoying some of the free attractions (white tigers at the Mirage, Pirates of TI, Chihuly glass and fountains at the Bellagio, window shopping at the shops at Caesar's Palace, etc.) Then she splurged by taking me to a couple of nice shows, but you can also try to get 1/2 price tickets to some shows (usually not the top ones, however.)
We had plenty to keep us entertained for 3 days and I think if you added a side trip to the Grand Canyon, it would be a wonderful 50th birthday trip.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM
GapYear2009

This is expensive, but worth it for your birthday: Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos. There are packages that make it less pricey, and May is a great time to go. Happy Birthday!

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I spend all major birthdays in Venice - that way they don't seem quite real ... 50 is around teh corner for me! You may find a package deal, but the Montreal idea may be a way to get the feel of Europe for less .... and then there is Paris.....
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM

How about one of the all inclusives on the Guanacaste coast of Costa Rica. Really easy to get to. Continental direct from Newark, or Delta through Atlanta are the 2 ways I have gotten there. Gorgeous and plenty to do. Great spas!
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM

San Francisco, Boston, Charleston, and Washington D.C. are some of my favorite spots. If you want to get a little wilder, we love Costa Rica too.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM

Kind of late planning, isn't it?
My birthday is next month as well, not 50 but 37. I've decided to stay close to home either the beach or the mountains. I'm in Md. But since this is the big 50 I'd guess you'd really want to do it up. Where are you flying from? I've heard good things about Quebec City and Vancouver.

I'd also keep in mind all of the plane groundings. I hope they have all this ironed out by the time your trip comes around.

Happy early Birthday.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:28 AM

By the way, Costa Rica is ridiculously cheap. You can eat like a queen for next to nothing, o even if you don't go all inclusive, you won't break the bank. Look up Playa Conchal Resort.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM

A nursing home?

Sorry, couldn't resist (I hit 50 last year and I hate getting those AARP membership solicitations in the mail!)
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<<think maybe we should wait for the dollar to go further.>>

As far as that keeping you from going to Europe, I certainly understand, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to change any time soon!

Is Mexico somewhere you'd consider? There are some spa resorts there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -