Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

50th Anniversary ocean stay with luxuries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rented a home overlooking the ocean in Fort Bragg CA. Had to cancel a luxury suite with butler in St Lucia because I fell and have a traumatic brain injury. My husband was so looking forward to being pampered I thought I'd try to surprise him with catered meals and massages on the deck with the fireplace. Any other suggestions or references for private chefs and masseuses gratefully received. Thanks for any or all help. Be there last week in Sept for two weeks. Thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 04:30 PM

You might hire a driver and a limo to take you to a wonderful place to eat or drive along the coast while you make out in the back seat or..........
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 05:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ft Bragg/Mendocino is not a very large area and my guess is there aren't too many/any free lance chefs in the neighborhood. Perhaps contact the Ft Bragg and/or Mendocino Chamber of Commerce and ask them for suggestions. Maybe one of the nice restaurants in Mendocino or one of the seafood places in Ft Bragg could cater a meal for you -- might be a long shot.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a very popular area for weddings, so I don't think there's a lack of caterers and independent chefs. (My sister rented a house overlooking the ocean between Mendo and Ft. Bragg for her small wedding and had it catered.)

Whether a caterer/chef would want to do a dinner for two people (and whether you'd be willing to pay what that would cost) can only be known if you talk to one or two or three of them.

Did you try a google search?

"Catering Ft. Bragg CA" gave these results:

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=cat...gg%2C+CA+95437

"Personal chef Ft. Bragg CA" gave these:

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=per...gg%2C+CA+95437
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 07:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Whether a caterer/chef would want to do a dinner for two people (and whether you'd be willing to pay what that would cost) can only be known if you talk to one or two or three of them.
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I guess this celebration is being honed!! Last week we got a call from the owners of the homes in Bragg that they were selling the houses and they weren't going to be able to rent them to us. Of course, I have a contract but life is too short. I did find a highly rated caterer, Karina's, that was willing to cater as many meals as we wanted. She was gracious enough to cancel our contract. With less then two weeks and airplane tickets bought for all our kids, it's been ridiculous ! We are going to the Point Arena Lighthouse, renting several houses with views all around. Couldn't find a caterer because it's big wedding season They are bending over backwards for us. We're bringing a BQ and having bacon wrapped filets and citrus large prawns, etc. Holding our breath but grateful we had to cancel our original one in St Lucia...they missed the worst but storm surge and wind damage. After 50 years we have learned to be flexible and grateful for each other. Thanks again��
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 12:41 PM

Happy anniversary and kudos to you for being flexible and “chill”.