50HS and others: Taos/Santa Fe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have gleaned great advice from previous posts, but I hope 50HS or others will have some more ideas in response to his/her comments on another post.

We plan to stay somewhere northwest of Santa Fe (Los Alamos or Jimez Springs area) for 3 nights and then Taos for 3 nights. May do a day trip into Santa Fe.

50HS: Hope you'll see this because I'd love to hear more on the comments you made below. You gave us some advice on one of my posts already, but since we'll be in Taos 3 nights, I'd appreciate knowing some cool hiking locations. Thanks.

"There are tons of cool hiking locations around Taos -- including the trail up to Williams Lake above the Taos Ski Valley -- so let me know if you would like more...
We like to eat outdoors, too, so if you want any suggestions for that, let me know! "
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:49 AM

The Valle Vidal area is between Jemez and Los Alamos and is an ideal hiking area.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Hello!

Agree above w/the Valle Vidal comment --- and near there of course Bandelier (must do) has some great hiking --- back country and/or trail down to waterfalls & Rio Grande.

When are you going? Not sure if you are looking for expert/novice/etc trails? Hope this helps a bit.

From TAOS SKI VALLEY

http://www.taosskivalley.com/pages/p...vities/Hiking/

For Taos --- one of our favorite hikes is to head up to the ski valley (about 17 miles outside/up from the town of Taos). You can park in the skier's parking lot (at base) and hike up to Williams Lake (about 4 miles RT) OR, for a shorter hike, drive on up past the base to the Bavarian Lodge. Park in their lot and hike from there to Williams Lake. On the way down stop @ the Bavarian for lunch/pretzel/beer/etc. While in Taos Ski Valley, stop @ Chamber (upper level of ski complex) and get trail maps. There are other trail options -- longer and more complex than this -- i.e., up to Wheeler Peak. Last summer the Mayor was leading a full moon hike up to Williams Lake every month that was very cool.

You can also take the chairlift up and hike down or around and down a variety of trails. Wish I had my trail maps handy but I'm traveling!

WILD RIVERS RECREATION AREA (north of Taos)

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/rec..._rec_area.html

We biked the Rinconada Loop Trail. Up top on Mesa. Links various campgrounds. Cool on a bike; might not be as cool walking -- FAVORITE trail here is the La Junta Trail down to the confluence of the Red River & Rio Grande. (You can't bike this trail!) 2.4 miles RT and a gorgeous hike! Highly recommend. Nice area to spend the day on various trails & grill/picnic at one of the many picnic areas along the way.

ORILLA VERDE AREA (west and south of town)

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...VREC_Broch.pdf

WEST RIM TRAIL : If you cross the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge (north of town, LEFT @ traffic light north of town instead of RIGHT up to ski valley) there is a visitor's center on the west side of the bridge (south side of highway) with trailheads. We biked south along the West Rim -- (and I think it's probably more popular for bikers?) but we did see hikers as well. This trail has what I would call (as a Midwesterner) a "volcanic" feel to it -- sage, snakes, rocks...

The LA VISTA VERDE trail provides a different perspective, as it's lower in the gorge -- as opposed to "up top". A short, but nice hike.

When I get home I can dig out my maps for less-traveled trails to hot springs if you have any interest. Just don't have access to them now. Maybe what I've posted will get you started and thinking about other questions. Just hated not to respond at all, although I'm not home with all my info!
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 04:06 AM

At Bandelier do check out the less developed area called Tsankawi (sp-3) It is a nice hike through grooves in the rock past unexcavated dwellings and has good views from the top.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Where are you planning to stay in Jemenz area or Los Alamos; not a place where there's much of the way in terms of hotels etc.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments so far. I started planning this trip a few months ago, and then other trips took priority. Now I have to pull it together and try to remember some of the things I read about earlier. We plan to go in Sept/Oct and so far only have reservations in Taos and Sedona.

I'm not familiar with the Valle Vidal area, but will certainly research it. We don't have a place to stay in the area, but I do recall seeing a few places in Jemez or Los Alamos. We're thinking of that area because we hope to visit Tent Rocks, Bandelier, perhaps some hot springs and now Valle Vidal. May even go into Santa Fe, however, I see that it's their Wine and Food Festival weekend, so wonder if it may be really crowded.

At this point, we're probably looking for easier hikes, but hopefully we can find some that give a "lot of bang for the buck." Hoping, too, that we may be getting into some fall foliage.

50HS thanks for answering while on your own trip--may I ask where you are? We probably won't be biking, but there seems to be quite a bit to explore around Taos on foot. You mentioned outdoor spots to eat, would love to read about those, too.

From Taos, we'll be most likely taking the northern route (across Rt 64) to Canyon de Chelly, so if anyone has any good suggestions along that route would also like to hear those.

Please continue with more ideas.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM

About 45 minutes to an hour north of Taos, there's great hiking in the Carson National Forest outside of Red River - Middlefork Lake (2 miles up and mountain and back to a gorgeous slice of heaven), Lost Lake, Horseshoe Lake (longer hikes), Goose Lake - you get the idea. I can't recommend enough this area. Happpy planning!
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Don't know if you are already en route == sorry this is delayed.

I am focusing on the OUTDOOR DINING aspect of your post rather than the 'favorite restaurants' in general, but certainly these spots have good food or we wouldn't bother going! Note that some are super casual, as is the general vibe in Taos.

But here's one spot I would eat indoors...LOS OJOS is a neat joint (roadside bar, food) up in Jemez Springs area. I had never been on the website until now -- wow. The website makes it look fancy and more like a TGIFriday's - which it's not. www.losojossaloon.com/ I mention it because it's kind of a classic and there's not much up in that direction...

In Taos, we like ORLANDO's north of town on the main drag, west side of street. We have had many good meals there. Other posters have shared mixed reviews. Bottom line, YES, the patio is right on the road (with coyote fence blocking...) and YES, it's not as fast as McDonald's(!). If you want to sit and relax under colorful umbrellas after a day of exploring and have what we think is decent Southwestern food, then try Orlando's!

We also enjoyed LOVE APPLE. An old frame church serving organic (garden in back!), locally sourced dishes and homemade sodas. Their patio out front is also on the main drag. Just mentioning this upfront. Last time we were there it was CASH ONLY, FYI.

Very Casual PIZZA - we like PIZZA OUT BACK (main drag north side of town, west side of street, south of Orlando's - It's easy to miss the driveway!). Picnic tables covered in graffiti under cottonwood trees. www.taospizzaoutback.com

OBL (Old Blinking Light) and Sabroso! are both north of town (but not too far) on the way to the ski valley. Both have fun ambiance and bigger patios with firepits. Live music at both typically on weekends. taosrestaurantgroup.com/old_blinking_light/t-taos.html and sabrosotaos.com

IN TAOS SKI VALLEY: THE BAVARIAN has a great outdoor patio (mid-mountain) and you could park there, hike up the mountain, and stop to eat on the way down. The DECK at the ST BERNARD faces the mountain -- picnic tables, open grill, great ambiance -- recommended year round for a fun lunch!

This may sound like a strange suggestion, but several times we've had a glass of wine/whatever outside on the patio at the Taos Country Club (south of town). It's a great place to watch the sun set or the storms roll in before dinner elsewhere. I've never eaten there. Open to the public.

Well, this is probably a very random listing, but thought I'd go ahead and send it. Hope you have a great trip! Let us know what you discover!
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

50HS: A late thanks for your replies. I like the idea of having a glass of wine at the Taos Country Club at sunset. I know I mentioned outdoor places, which you answered, but you inferred that your "favorites" were somewhere else. Would love to know those, too. We're not looking for necessarily upscale places, but just good food in a local place. Many of our "best meals" have been enjoyed in the atmosphere of small, friendly restaurants with local color.