5 Nights in Boston, at Park Plaza

Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
MaureenB

5 Nights in Boston, at Park Plaza

I haven't been to Boston for many years, but will be there this week. We could use suggestions for nice restaurants near our hotel, preferably walking distance from the Boston Park Plaza. We especially like seafood dinners. Also, is whale watching still going on this week?
>-

Sep 24th, 2007, 02:28 AM

Hi, Maureen - we just got back from Boston this week. We did a whale watching tour that we booked through the aquarium and saw lots of humpbacks; the other species of whales have already moved on, but humpbacks were still abundant. We had a great time, but be sure to take Dramamine - the water was pretty rough out that deep. We had a great lobster dinner and lobster bisque at Legal Sea Foods.
Sep 24th, 2007, 05:31 AM

I really like the Atlantic Fish Company on Boylston Street right across from the entrance to the Prudential. Good fish, good scallops and good chowder.
Sep 24th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Another vote for Atlantic Fish on Boylston. A little bit of a walk from your hotel or you can hop on the T at Arlington and get off at Copley.

Skipjacks is also good, as is Giacomo's in the North End.
Sep 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM
MaureenB

Thanks, everyone. I'm especially glad to hear we can go whale-watching. I'll look into that now. And I'll take the restaurant names with us. Sounds good. Any others?
>-

Sep 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM

There was another place called Daily Catch/Calamari Cafe that was recommended to us - didn't get a chance to try it, but it got good reviews.
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM

The Legal's near the Park Plaza is actually the only seafood restaurant in that vicinity that I can think of. You probably know that Legal's is a chain based in Boston which often gets labeled as a tourist trap, but I've never had a bad meal there. Their location near Park Plaza has a very well-designed interior as well.

You'll be very close to the theater district and Chinatown., and not too far from Back Bay. Enjoy your stay.
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM

We stayed at the Boston Park Plaza a few years ago and there was a McCormick & Schmick seafood restaurant right in the hotel. The concierge desk was very thorough, had up to date menus and assisted us with reservations in the North End and the trolley tour.
Sep 25th, 2007, 07:18 AM

OH yes of course, McCormick and Shmick's...forgot about that. That's a chain from the West Coast, but also pretty good.

Sep 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM
MaureenB

We're at the Park Plaza now. It's a nice hotel, especially on the Concierge Level. Rooms and bathrooms are a bit small, but they are finished out stylishly and service is great.

My question is: what Italian restaurant to choose in the North End? We were there today, and there were so many restaurants that looked appealing, it looked impossible to choose without some recommendations. We will go back Sunday evening, after we take our Whale Watch tour. We'd like more than pizza and pasta, as we prefer fish, veal, lobster ravioli, more interesting menu items.

Thanks!
>-

Sep 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
kealalani

Very close to your hotel, check out Via Matta for their crunchy eggplant. We sometimes have a casual meal at the bar, enjjoying their house red and bread. giaccamo's in the southend is a great neighborhood joint with decent priced italian. I now prefer it to the NEnd original. Define seafood dinners? Lobster, shellfish, or any fish. Davios also has decent food and a lively bar scene - in a food way.

Sep 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM
kealalani

Also, if you're down at the waterfront there's an inwater boat show that may be cool.

Sep 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
MaureenB

Kealalani, what about Italian in the North End? Not heavy red sauce pasta, but more northern Italian type, preferably.
Thanks!
>-

Sep 28th, 2007, 07:25 PM

We enjoyed Artu - has some excellent fried calamari as an appetizer. You could check out their menu online and see if it would appeal to you. I had veal parm that was good - can't recall the rest of the menu that well, but it may have focused more on Southern Italian cuisine. While you're in the neighborhood, check out Modern Pastry for some good cannoli.
Sep 29th, 2007, 06:14 AM
MaureenB

Thanks, volcano girl! Will do.

This afternoon we're heading to Cambridge to see Harvard. Any good restaurants near Harvard? We'll be taking the subway/train/whatever.

>-

Sep 29th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Henrietta's Table is very good. Or Bartley's Burger Cottage for great burgers.

As for the North End, my favorite is Maurizio's. Lucca is also very nice, it's on the higher end price-wise.
Sep 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM
kealalani

This thread is like reality tv live --- funny!

Well since tonight is taken care of. I have had success in the NE with Prezza, Luca and Bacco. If it is just two of you, I would either stroll the neighborhood and decide by the look and go for a cocktail elswhere if there is a wait. Otherwise, I would check out opentable.com to get a gyst and perhaps a menu.

Sep 29th, 2007, 04:27 PM
kealalani

Also, there is a big convention in town this week at BCEC in Seaport area. Not sure how it effects things, if at all for you. Just a heads up.

Sep 30th, 2007, 06:36 AM
MaureenB

We went to Harvard via the T, but decided to come back to Boston's North End for dinner. Rookie mistake. The North End at 7:30 p.m. on a Saturday night without a reservation??-- duh.

The lines were up to 2 hours long. Every restaurant had a line. We were ready to give up and were heading back to catch the T, when we found they had a table for two at Rabias, 73 Salem Street.

Being skeptical of a restaurant that had no line, we still decided to go for it, rather than head back to our hotel area. Turned out to be a very good idea to stay. Must be Rabias slightly out-of-the-way location that people weren't swarming there, we decided.

The restaurant is wildly over-decorated, and its menu is a bit odd, because it has sushi and sashimi appetizers at the "Italian, Mediterranean Cuisine and Oyster Bar". But service was good if somewhat over-worked, and the Italian menu was extensive. Every item was very unique, and there was even a daily menu of about six specials.

I decided on a caesar salad to start, and an entree with lobster ravioli, shrimp, artichokes hearts, and roasted red peppers in a lemon wine sauce. Both choices were excellent.

So we lucked out. Beginner's luck. Tonight we'll make a resie! Still deciding where.
>-

Sep 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Rabia's is a long time favorite of ours. As is La Summa, Picollo Nido, Prezzo, Saraceno -

there is also exc italian outside of the north end - like Sage on Colombus Ave, which recently moved there from the North End - and Giacomo's - which also has a spot in both locations -

I get wanting to be in the ambiance of the North End though - sometimes check on opentable.com for reservations, or ask the concierge -
it's a busy spot - and as someone noted, the boat show and other activities in town this weekend - which end tonight - make reservations more necessary - but the ones off the beaten path that tourists are less likely to go to often do not have a line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO