Reload this Page >

4th of July in Seattle WA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:16 PM
Sheila

My Husband and I will be in Seattle for a couple of nights celebrating our anniversary on the Fourth of July. It is our first time there, so I am wondering what are the must see sites and restaurants; and where do we go or what do you suggest for the Fourth of July celebrations? Someone had suggested watching the fireworks from a beach but never mentioned an actual name? If we did this, could we pack a picnic and eat on the beach aswell?
Thank You for any suggestions!!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:24 PM
kam

Hang out for a half a day at Pike Street Market. Visit Pioneer Square and perhaps take the underground tour. Loads of wonderful restaurants---look at the rant and rave section. Sorry can't help with fireworks, never been there on the 4th.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:55 PM
John

There are two competing gigundo fireworks displays, one at Gasworks Park on the north shore of Lake Union, the other off the shore opposite Myrtle Edwards Park at the north end of the central (Puget Sound) waterfront. Unfortunately, there aren't "beaches" at either park.

There are a couple of places (tops of some office buildings, the Space Needle, for example) where you can see both, but your best bet is to pick one, pack a picnic dinner, arrive early, and wait along with several thousand of your closest friends for the show, which starts at 10:00 PM (long evenings here in the north.) IMO the Lake Union show is usually better; they import famous pyrotechnicians from all over the world to put on the display, accompanied to the Seattle Symphony playing 4th of July favorites (also on the radio).

There are numerous restaurants on the south and east shores of Lake Union, many of which have good views of the fireworks. There are also some boat tour firms that offer dinner cruises on Lake Union or Elliott Bay (either a blast) on the 4th of July, for example http://www.alkitours.com/july.html or http://www.argosycruises.com/flash.htm - maybe a good idea for your anniversary.

I formerly had an anniversary on the 4th of July. Does anybody rib you about "Independence Day?"

Congratulations and happy planning!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:23 PM
Sheila

Thank You John for the wonderful advice and websites, they were exactly what I was looking for, and have made my life a lot simpler as I was being overwhelmed by all the information on the internet.

I am going to check out the dinner cruises via the websites you recommended, is it safe to assume we are able to get a good view of the fireworks from the boats? Also, regarding the Lake Union show, is there a specific area where it would be best to go to actually hear the Symphony, and or, is this something we could look into purchasing tickets for?

As for the "Independence Day", yes we do get good natured teasing about the irony of that, all the time. It is truly the best day to be able to celebrate your anniversary, you feel like everyone is celebrating with you, and the fireworks are just for you and your significant other!! And, last year we spent July travelling down the coast and happened to be in Carmel, CA. on the fourth and were pleasantly surprised to find that when we wanted a room at the last minute, not only were we able to get a suite, but it was less than half price because everyone was in Monterey watching the fireworks there. So it can make for some great bargain anniversary celebrations too!!

Thanks again for the great advice

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:26 PM
Sheila

P.S. Kam, thank you for your advice aswell. What is the underground tour?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:11 PM
John

The dinner boat IMO would be the flat best way to spend the 4th, since the two parks are mobbed. The view from the water is superb; in both cases the fireworks are launched off barges in the Lake or bay, so in the boat you're close up.

I honestly don't know if one can buy tickets for any grandstand or some such. (We always watch the show from a friend's condo overlooking the lake.)Since both are city parks I expect they don't exist. The symphony sets up a at Gasworks, and it's amplified, so I expect anywhere in the park is fine. Otherwise, a portable radio will do the trick. But the boat is the best idea.