449 O´farell street safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helo, im going to stay in an apartment in 449 0`farell street, im reading all this comments and im a little bit scared. We are three women in our early thirties and we want to enjoy the city at night in SF during our stay. Is this a saFe block? or would you recommend us to stay in another spot of the city?

as im not sure of our election i am searching for a new apartment to stay in, i have found another one in Bradway street/ buchanan street. But im not sure if it´s so well comunicated by public transport with the rest of the city. because i havent found any bus stop near by google maps. What would you recommend me?
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 06:22 AM

Where are you finding these apartments to rent? It appears that you are not from the US. You need to be VERY careful about renting apartments - they may be in bad areas as you have already seen, they may not even exist! I would suggest using only very trusted sites and apartments that have solid reviews and LOTS of reviews.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 06:25 AM

Also, if the price of the rental seems very inexpensive compared to other similar apartments in same area - there is probably a reason why it is cheaper and not a good reason.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 07:01 AM
J62

I always stay just one block away, at the SF Hilton, when I visit SF and have never felt that area was particularly unsafe.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 07:18 AM

The Hilton is fine, as long as you turn right when you exit - the neighborhood does start to get sketchy if you turn left - and gets sketchier the farther west you go. Still, you are only half a block from the Hilton so I don't think it's terrible. If I remember, I will walk by it on Saturday and get back to you.

Broadway and Buchanan is a much nicer neighborhood - I don't know much about the public transportation there, but I checked on Hopstop and its a 5 minute walk to the bus stop. It would take 1/2 hour to get downtown (including the walking portion) or to Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square by bus.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 07:26 AM

By the way, if you go into sanfrancisco.crimespotting.org, you can find all reported crimes on a map. There haven't been many nearby, other than vehicle theft and 1 burglary recently. Most of the crimes nearby are narcotics, and as I said, they cluster to the west.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 09:09 AM

Sounds like a delightful place:

http://bedbugregistry.com/location/C...;farrell%20St/

I don't know what site you are using to search for rentals but it's not a good one. Try using vrbo.com.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM

449 O'Farrell - I wouldn't stay there. Yes, there is a Hilton on the next block, but going places at night and coming from somewhere, do you want to have to make a detour and always look over your shoulder?

Broadway/Buchanan is much better. Will you have a car? Looking at the MUNI map I see several bus lines, some of them peak time only.

Here is the map:
http://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/f...stem-Map_0.pdf
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

DebitNM yes you are right, i´m from Madrid (Spain) and its my first time in US so i don´t know a lot about neigborghoods or crime spots in SF, for me its like being in a movie!!
I am searching the apartments in airbnb.com which is a website for vacation rentals. I think its very safe to rent apartments here. The problem was that i applied for two appartments before this one in o´farell and they finally were unavailable, so i quickly searched for another one, and i found this one nice. The thing is than when i started my own research of things to do and see in SF i found out the tenderloin scary thing, and i don´t really want to be in a unsafe location for my stay there.

sf7307 wowww there is crime spot map! i cant believe it!!

Now im searching in Nob hill and pacific Heights, i will tell you if i´m lucky.

sf7307, J62, AustinTraveler, Dayenu thank you for all your advices guys!!
You have been very helpfull.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 05:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hyriuta: please don't use aurbnb without posting the property link/ details here. You can get a deal through aurbnb but you can also end up in a nasty place.

So when you find a place you think meets your needs - post the link here. There are many SF Bay area fodorites and you will get good feedback.

What is your apartment/hotel budget? How many days are you staying in San Francisco?
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 06:33 AM

I agree with janisj airbnb can be great and it can be hell!
It may cost a bit more, but I would check out vrbo.com The owner/landlords have to pay to list there and that "may" keep the fraudulent owners away. Since it costs the owners nothing to post on airbnb, it "may" attract less desirable results.

Aside from being in an awful location, the unit may not even exist!

And always, ALWAYS pick rentals with reviews. I have been lucky on airbnb with 2 units that were brand new listings with no reviews - BUT and this is a BIG but...I was able to have people I know actually go to the properties to check them out.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Thak you all guys!! your advices have been very helpfull!

Finally, as nobody of the appartments that i hve applied answered me, I have booked in the hote Beresford Arms in 701 Post Street. Which i think its the best option for me and my friends.

I have also another question.

I really like indie music and i was wandering if someone could recommend me a great indie club or bar to dance!

Thank you very much!!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 07:45 AM

The Beresford Arms is a good choice.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 08:31 AM

701 Post is a good location for safety and public transport.