40 yr old single wmn needs travel ideas

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
40 yr old single wmn needs travel ideas

I would like to take a trip the week btwn xmas and new years. I am not a skier, so snowy places wouldnt work. I also need to keep busy, so beach for a week wont do either. I've been to many many states and cities, but I am looking for something different, somewhere i will feel comfortable being solo. Any recommendations? Doesnt have to be in the states either. Thanks.
Vast
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Hi Vast, I may be biased but, I think the Canadian Rockies would be an excellent place for a single person to travel. There are so many things to see and do here besides skiing. I see alot of people travelling alone throughout the Rockies and they feel perfectly comfortable doing so. There are fabulous hiking trails, tours (bus, walking, helicopter) almost anything you can think of and the scenery is spectacular. There are also some fun nightclubs if that's your thing.
Just something different to consider.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

That sounds interesting; what cities/places would I research? I have been various parts of Canada, but this would be new to me!
Thanks
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Vast
Maybe Rio, BA or SMdA.
M
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM

My favorite vacation destination, Key West, would be a great option for you. The disadvantage is that that's probably the most expensive week of the year there.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Hello Vast, I would begin by researching Jasper National Park, Banff National Park and Lake Louise. On the Canadian board on Fodors there is a ton of information about these areas. If you have any specific questions, ask away!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
1. New Years is The Big holiday in Scotland; Edinburgh on New Year's Eve ("Hogmanay") is like no place else, perfect for singles. Not warm by any means, but Edinburgh in midwinter is very beautiful in its own way.

2. LA is also great around that time of year for movie buffs. Many of the indies and studios rush out films "for consideration" by Academy members in LA in advance of the Oscar deadline of Dec. 31. Hang out, shop, museum, whatever by day, hit the flix by night (or also by day). Very fun; we've done it several times.

3. There are numerous cruises for singles (and not just the old timers or the kids) around then. Go to the www.cruisecritic.com boards and look at the "solo cruising" forum. The combination of port and shipboard activities, along with plenty of time for reading, lounging, spa, etc., on the boats makes for a full week. Prices are reasonable considering what you get.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:50 PM

Oh Gardyloo's idea of Edinburgh is perfect! What a spectacular place that time of year! Actually pretty much anywhere in Europe is great at that time.

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:07 PM

Hi Vast-

Don't know if you've been there, but I would consider New Orleans. They have many deals that time of year and I would feel very comfortable traveling solo.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:22 AM

I have a Cyber friend who lives in Tenerife in the Canary Islands. I have seen a gazillion of her photographs and it looks like pure paradise to me. My other choice would be eating my way through the Tuscan Valley--or go to cooking school there.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Another thought of what I might do: I love traveling by train, although it has been more than 10 years that I did. I would pick a scenic route in the U.S. or Canada of 2 days to take me to a great destination for another 2-3 days. I especially enjoyed meeting other travelers in the dining car. And the food was great too. Don't know if it still is, however.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Have you considered a vacation sports club, like Club Med? I've been to a couple in the Caribbean and had a blast. I'd go to the one at Bora Bora if I had the opportunity. I've heard that's one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:11 AM

I'm also a 40 yr old woman and like you I need to keep busy and need to travel alone sometimes. I have gone to a spa a few times that had tons of activities. Destination Spas rather than hotels with spas are better for solo travelers in my opinion. There are so many that you can find one to fit you. SpaFinders is a great resource.

I have also done some trips with Backroads. Backroads and other similar companies offer trips for people traveling alone. I really enjoy hiking and other outdoor activities and would not feel comfortable doing long hikes alone since it could be unsafe and it is more fun if you share the experience anyway. The organized trips are more costly than doing it yourself but the convenience of having someone move your bags around and not having to backtrack along with the added safety is probably worth the price.
I love the Canadian Rockies too. However, for those of us who don't ski, I think they are more fun in the summer when you can do some hiking and drive the Icefields Parkway (it is closed in the winter).
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Virgin Bush (yes, that really is the name) is organizing a gal's only safari. That sounds perfect for a solo traveler. Next year they are doing one for the guys.

I would also look into a bike trip in Napa Valley, or I would go to London.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM

For information about women traveling you might find www.journeywoman.com a useful site...
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:13 PM

No personal experience but some place to check

http://www.theworldoutdoors.com/docu...travelers.html
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Hands down- Australia. Go to the Barrier Reef... Cairne or Port Douglas... one of the greatest regions in the world.

Take me with you.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 03:07 AM

I never let being single stop me from travelling, and in large part, I didn't let it determine my destinations. I'm not reckless at all nor do I consider myself a big risk taker. Of all my solo trips, I'd have to say Australia was my favorite. I think its a combo of having gotten to spend time in each place I visited (I was there a month) and the friendly, outgoing people. Aussies are big travellers so their really open to the single traveller.

Europe is another place to consider. Just remember, in many of the places you consider outside the US that Xmas day and the 26th, Boxing Day, you will find a lot closed, even restaurants. I know. It happened to me!

Good luck and have fun!
Debbie
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are great with ideas!! I will check out the sites and such. I would so love to do Australia, but I dont think a week will do it justice. Is Europe as cold and rainy at that time as I have heard?

Other thought: anyone ever do a Tennis Camp?

thanks again,
me