Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 seasons in one day????? And kids in NYC.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first overseas experience with children. We are travelling from Australia.

I will be travelling to San Francisco, LA, San Diego and New York with 3 children - 7,5 and 2 yrs old.
The firt leg of our trip is San Fran, LA and San Diego (between 22 Sept - 8 Oct), then on to New York (9 Oct - 16 Oct).

Is anyone able to give me any suggestions about differing temperature between east and west coast? So that I can try to pack appropriate clothing... I would really appreciate your view and experience.

Also, what are the musts for kids in New York. Is a stroller possible to use through NYC - or will we get trampled? Does anyone have any simple ideas for entertaining kids around the area of our hotel located near Canegie Hall? Play parks, etc
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM

You should have warmish weather in CA and slightly cooler weather in NYC (unless the weather is out of kilter a couple of long-sleeve tops, light jacket and sweater should be enough - unless you go out on the water at night).

In NYC you will be walking alo t- so make sure you have comfy walking shoes and a sturdy folding umbrella won't hurt.

A stroller is OK in NYC except for midtown (too much foot traffic). Also the subway has lots of steps - and you need to carry the stroller up and down. Or you can take a bus (much slower than the subway) but then the folder needs to fold up.

As for being near Carnegie Hall - you really need to get a map of Manhattan. You're only a couple of blocks from Central Park (smaller zoo plus a kids zoo, carousel, lake with boats for rowing plus several kids playgrounds - and lots of areas for running around and climbing rocks. Go to the website of the central park conservancy for info and maps. Also with kids you will definitely want to do the Museum of Natural History - esp good if you get a rainy day.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanyou so much for your swift response nytraveler. I'll start packing!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Hi Rubyrose, your trip sounds wonderful! We just got back from taking our 2 year old to NYC for the first time, and he loved it! Central Park was a big hit with him. Sometimes, all he wanted to do was walk/run through the park, but he loved to climb on the rocks. Later, we also found a playground and that was a big hit with him as well. The Time Warner Center was another place he liked--the escalators! Plus, it's a great place to use clean restrooms.

We did take a stroller and it was a huge help to us. Lots of locals use strollers there. As nytraveler mentioned, there are LOTS of stairs going into and out of the subways, so you'll have to plan on carrying the stroller if using the subway. It helps having 2 adults so 1 can hold the child while the other carries the stroller. I did notice that when it was only 1 adult with a child, they often had an umbrella stroller that had a carrying strap.

We took a (free) ride on the Staten Island Ferry--great views of the Statue of Liberty. The Museum of Natural History might be fun for all three of your kids. Our 2 year old wasn't that interested in the items in the museum but still enjoyed it b/c it's very kid friendly.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with your kids in all 4 areas. Safe travels!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

We are travelling with a grand ratio of 1:1. 3 adults, 3 children - thank goodness! Stairs will be easily negotiated, strollers can be carried.

thanks guys! great info.