Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 NYC Restaurants: One Choice. Help please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have spent HOURS looking at the excellent advice and comments here regarding restaurants in NYC for a special weekend trip this coming weekend and have been helped SO much by them. Per the wisdom I've already gleaned from this forum, I have made reservations at four places for Sat. night:

Erminia
Gramercy Tavern
The Four Seasons
Candela

So it's a special trip to see Little Women the musical (childhood favorite - my bf just asked me to clarify that it's MY fav not his) on Friday and big dinner on Sat. I would love intimate, classy (rather than trendy) romantic, dimly lit. You know. Candles and all that jazz. I need to choose between them. I know Gramercy probably stands tall above Erminia and Candela as far as impressivo food goes, but since atmosphere is quite important to me, Candela and especially Erminia made it to the final four.
Our reservations are in the Pool Room for the 4 Seasons. Is the atmosphere *romantic* or simply grand? And does getting a good table matter a great deal there and in these other places?
Oh please help me choose. Thanks ever so much. As I get quite excited about good dining experiences, I promise a nice post-visit recap.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I don't know. They all sound good, but thanks for reminding me why it is nearly impossible to get a reservation at some of these places the week before going. Some people have four reservations and can't make up their minds so are blocking out others.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

I see your point, thank you. It's just an important trip and I want it to be special. I have a lack of info (for example, Erminia has no website) and therefore have been having a hard time deciding, despite a desire to do so as quickly as possible. I have seen this forum be friendly and willing to help in such situations and thought I would try my luck...
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:07 AM

I haven't been to Candela but can describe the others. Erminia is relatively small and spare. It's on the upper east side (not too far from the Metropolitan Museum. The food is excellent and I also think it's a nice non-touristy neighborhood. Since the Met is open late on Saturdays, you could stop by there for a drink first and hear some music and even wander around a gallery or two if you want. There are also nice places in the area to have an after dinner drink.

Gramercy Tavern is larger and louder and I wouldn't necessarily call it romantic. There is a buzz about it though. Everyone who's there is excited to be there.

I don't think I've ever been to the Four Seasons on a Sat. night, so not sure what the ambiance would be (ie how many people and how they'd be dressed). It's a very modern classic room. It's certainly larger than the first 2. I think of it as more of a corporate/power broker place than a romantic place. It seems a bit stark and cold rather than cozy and romantic.

With Candela aside since I've never been, I'd choose Erminia for romance and Gramercy Tavern for great food and bragging factor (you know, we were at Gramercy Tavern the other night...)
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:07 AM
mp

In terms of info about the food, try two sites: www.menupages.com and www.nymetro.com (NY magazine's site). For "romantic", I would pick Erminia - truly intimate and the food is very good. Candela looks great but the food is just OK. I love the Four Seasons, but even the Pool Room seems more "corporate elegance" than personal and intimate. Gramercy is lovely - relaxed but elegant, great food, wonderful service - but it never strikes me as a place where I would be concentrating on my companion - I'm always looking at the room and the other diners and watching the ballet of the waitstaff and savoring the food. But that's just me and my opinions.

Of course, as soon as you make a decision, you WILL call the other three and cancel your reservations so you can free up the tables, right?
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Now I know why some restaurants take a credit card # to hold a table.
I had heard that some people reserve tables at multiple restaurants,
but then to have the nerve to advertise it?
WOW
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:59 AM
bamakelly

Geez, give the girl a break. People on this forum say they do this all the time with hotel rooms...they don't get slammed. She got the point already. Now help her decide so she can cancel the other three. (possibly even within a day of making them...)

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:02 AM

I love the Four Seasons and it is very elegant but not intimate in the least. Gramercy is great but not particularly romantic.

Maybe you could just call and cancel all these reservations and hope someone just as self-involved will cancel on at Cafe des Artistes so you can go there Saturday. George Lang's Fin de Siecle classic is arguably one of the most romantic restaurants in NYC.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Four Seasons is not at all romantic - whoever called it a power brokering spot is correct. Also - I agreee that Cafe des Artistes can be very romaantic - if you can get in.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:11 AM

Bamakelly, thank you. You are right, give the girl a break people.
Like none of you have never done the same thing. Right.
Another instance of the poster having the *wrong* screen name.
If she were among those with a *better* name (and you do know what I mean!) then she would be given a plethora of information and of course, the best of wishes ad nauseum.

Erinmelissa, take your time deciding, which is *exactly* what everyone else does too.
Have a wonderful time whatever you choose.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:36 AM

I usually agree 100% with LilMsFoodie on most things, but I think the food at Erminia is better than Cafe Des Artistes. It's true the room at Des Artistes is more classically what you'd think of as a romantic, big splurge restaurant, but I'd stick with Erminia.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:10 AM

What time is your Gramercy reservation for Saturday night? If you don't use it, can I have it?
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:28 AM

I am amused that some posters find it so outrageous to make multiple reservations during the planning stages of a trip, or an evening out. I do it all the time. Then, within a day or so, I discuss it with my husband, we choose, then we call and cancel the others. What possible harm does that do? The key is to cancel ASAP, although I have given hot reservations to friends when I couldn't use them last-minute (sick kid, moved out of town, etc.) I doubt the reason that it's hard to get into good restaurants is because people made multiple reservations. If that were true, there would be empty tables and you could walk in. Great places tend to be busy, so the outrage here on the boards seems contrived.

For the record, from your list, I've been only to Gramercy Tavern but I loved it and am planning to return next month when I'm in NY, on one of my kid-free evenings. I'm not even bothering to make back-up reservations; we're so sure of this choice.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:40 AM

SFAMYLOU,
Why book and cancel, within a day or two? Why not discuss your plans and then book?
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I have been to three of these four places.

Re: Gramercy Tavern, I agree with everything the posters have said here. Great food and service, but the
ambiance probably won't do it for you.

Re: Erminia--basically a small (i.e., shoe-boxed sized) room with lots of candles. The place is a bit claustrophobic (you are about 6 inches from the table next to you, so forget private conversation) and the food completely forgettable.

Re: Four Seasons. If I had to choose one, I'd go here. Not the most intimate place, but it is beautiful. I think it is a corporate place for lunch, but at night, if you don't mind lots of other suits around, I think it would be great for dinner.

Other options: Fleur de Sel (great food, service, ask for the booth at the front); Chez Es Saada (although I haven't been there for a while, the ambiance was great).
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Another option: The Rainbow Room. Probably not worth the $150 per person for dinner, but after 10:30 or so, you can go just for drinks and dancing. Quintessential New York, stunning views, great big band and dancing. I think the cover is $20/person, but you should still make reservations.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I love it bugswife
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
mp

Mclaurie - funny that we posted at the exact same time almost the exact opinins . . . great minds.
wanderluster what are you going on about?

I had no problem with her making as many reservations as she wants - as long as she remembers to cancel the others. Many of these places have wait lists and besides, it's only fair to the restaurant - and other diners.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 10:48 AM

CyberUK, in a dream world, you're right. I'd say to my husband: Let's go out to XYZ next Thursday at 8 p.m., then I'd call and get the table and everyone would be happy. However, most times in my experiences, because I like trendy places and sometimes call last-minute, you don't get exactly what you want. Maybe you get into a place you really want to try, but the only reservation is for 10 p.m. You can get into a place that isn't too exciting for
7:30. My husband isn't around to discuss this in real time; he's working and away on business. So you book a few places, later discuss the options and various trade-offs. Then you call back and cancel what you won't use. I always cancel. I sense skepticism but really, I do. And the reservation person is always so grateful it makes me think that most people don't call to cancel, whether they've double or triple booked or not.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM

I've been to Candela -- it's not a special place at all. The food is fine, the ambiance is alright, and the location is central. But I would eliminate it from the list, especially given the other restaurants (although I've never heard of Erminia).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -